New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    There was a time when the car battery of my Innova would just die without some prior symptoms (or I might have not have noticed them) and since my ride has automatic transmission so talagang mahirap. Now does a voltmeter (using the cigarette lighter plug) help us determine the health of the car battery?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Per my experience,Yes,malaking tulong talaga ang may voltmeter on knowing the health of our cars battery and/or alternator. Ever since i had one, never ko na na-experience ang di makapag start due to low battery...or yung tipong di mo alam bakit biglang humina ang radyo,ilaw at aircon.

Magandang indicator at warning on battery/alternator health talaga ang voltmeter and hindi naman siya ganun ka expensive.I think,all motorist should have one of these.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Short answer, no.

Long answer: Battery health is a function of a lot of different parameters, a few of which are as follows:

Internal resistance
    Ability to take a charge
    Capacity
    Voltage
    etc.

Voltage is probably the last parameter to 'give' when it comes to battery health. A bad battery could have good open-terminal voltage but as soon as you put a load (ie. start the vehicle), a battery with a relatively high internal resistance will cause the voltage to drop and by extension, reduce the current to below what is required to start the engine.

Voltmeters can probably give you an idea of the state of charge (SoC) if you know for a fact that the battery is healthy. Otherwise, voltage alone won't give you a clear indication of its state of health (SoH)

Battery analyzers can give you a better insight as to the battery's actual SoC and SoH than just relying on an on-dash voltmeter.

I have one (on-dash voltmeter), but it's really more for aesthetics than anything. Though, I also have a battery analyzer.

4. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Short answer, no.

Long answer: Battery health is a function of a lot of different parameters, a few of which are as follows:

Internal resistance

Voltage is probably the last parameter to 'give' when it comes to battery health. A bad battery could have good open-terminal voltage but as soon as you put a load (ie. start the vehicle), a battery with a relatively high internal resistance will cause the voltage to drop and by extension, reduce the current to below what is required to start the engine.

Ano po yung magandang range ng Internal Resistance? Nakikita ko sa Car ko around 5 Internal Resistance niya. Ano yung maximum and minimum na range dapat? Thanks!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Athrunzala View Post
    Ano po yung magandang range ng Internal Resistance? Nakikita ko sa Car ko around 5 Internal Resistance niya. Ano yung maximum and minimum na range dapat? Thanks!
    The lower the better. I don't know the magic number but as the battery ages, the internal resistance goes up. I suggest that you just get a battery analyzer to remove the guesswork.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/n...QGzD5&search=1

6. Join Date
    May 2017
    nabasa ko lang sa internet "High resistance causes the battery to heat up and the voltage to drop under load, triggering an early shutdown"

7. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by reddik2017 View Post
    Per my experience,Yes,malaking tulong talaga ang may voltmeter on knowing the health of our cars battery and/or alternator. Ever since i had one, never ko na na-experience ang di makapag start due to low battery...or yung tipong di mo alam bakit biglang humina ang radyo,ilaw at aircon.

Magandang indicator at warning on battery/alternator health talaga ang voltmeter and hindi naman siya ganun ka expensive.I think,all motorist should have one of these.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    Agree.

My voltmoter (via the lighter plug) registers the same voltage compared with the casa's digital scan tool. It only costs 280.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    Agree.

My voltmoter (via the lighter plug) registers the same voltage compared with the casa's digital scan tool. It only costs 280.
    i read it before i start the engine, with the key on ACC.
    once the engine starts, the reading is now a reflection of the alternator's performance, and not the battery's.
    i want to read it during the cranking period, but i simply can't read it... probably something to do with my eyes and the gadget's design...

9. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i read it before i start the engine, with the key on ACC.
    once the engine starts, the reading is now a reflection of the alternator's performance, and not the battery's.
    i want to read it during the cranking period, but i simply can't read it... probably something to do with my eyes and the gadget's design...

same observation here

10. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Sir OJ, won't the volt meter dip also during starting? If it does, then maybe we can have an idea of the health of the battery

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Does a voltmeter (using the cigarette lighter plug) help us determine the health of the car battery?