New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Question. Noong nag palit ako ng battery sa motolite sabi sakin ng technician pag tinanggal daw ang supply sa kotse nag rereset ang settings at minsan nanginginig ang kotse? Sorry narinig ko lang naman po. Can someone enligthen me?

Purpose: Planning to disconnect the battery before I perform engine wash to avoid short circuit.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I disconnect my battery, when I clean the throttlebody this is as per service manual. Now when I put it back, the throttlebody has to relearn the position. It takes awhile to learn before switching to ignition on. After learning and obviously the engine is cold, warming up will take awhile. Then it idles.

settings lost or reset to default for my vehicle is the transmission shift points, digital clock and fuel economy unit.

Every manufacturer, already known that at some point the battery will die. and replacing the battery will change many settings but this wont kill the car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Don't wash the engine ... Just don't ...

*Stock
    How do you "relearn" after reinstalling the throttle body? ...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I have these doubts that the ECU actually gets wiped out. The map data after all is stored in a ROM chip. Because if the ECU learns, piggybacks and reflashes will not work or work only a few minutes and the car will go back to stock performance.

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    There are 5 major OBD II protocols. They are not all the same. Different makes have different procedures before disconnecting the battery to prevent amnesia. On lexus, sometimes the BCM does not recognize the ignition key and will not startafter an i terruption of power supply to the BCM.
    On GM, sometimes the A/C blows hot air at the main registers when you request A/C operation. Relearninng are usually done with a compatible scan tool.
    I usually use the terminal 16 of the DLC 3 for alternate power supply to the BCM and the PCM and ground tterminals 4 and 5to the battery (--). I also use an OBD II memory saver.
    Before disconnecting the battery, i scan for current, pending and history diagnostic trouble codes and document or take snapshot pictures of the scan tool while it is connected to the car and using some identifiable background of the car be it the dash or interior should the vehicle owner question, doubt or have trust issue of the procedure. I use these pictures should i need to take the owner to court as evidence.
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; July 27th, 2018 at 06:38 AM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Parang naging komplikado. Haaha parang ayoko na lang tanggalin ung battery.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009

8. Join Date
    May 2014
    I only do this in our cars after talking with Service Technician and Motolite personnel.

Basically, I start the car before the battery is removed for replacement. Jumper cables are used when the battery is unable to start it. That way, power can run through the car via the alternator while the battery is disconnected. I do this mostly for our automatics since our MTs are more "basic"/older design. Isuzu NKR 2000 model, 97 Toyota Revo and 2007 L300 FB (using an old design/construction). For the rest this is what I do so that nothing resets.
    When I removed the battery before on our City I-DSI CVT, I had to have the CVT reset by Honda as I was having some shifting issues on it before. But that was on the first time we replaced the battery. After that, its what our family does with all our AT cars.

I know yours is supposedly for engine wash, but I wouldn't actually advice it, unless it relies on using compressed air to blow out dirt and grime only.

My two cents.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Sabi kasi ni ChrisFix of YT. Haha

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danegoesonline View Post
    Parang naging komplikado. Haaha parang ayoko na lang tanggalin ung battery.
    usually nag-reset yung time ng clock at yung radio settings. madali naman ibalik. if meron ka audio set-up at may mga settings sa headunit mo, maybe need na i-retune ng installer mo.

i do engine wash and detailing many times. wala naman naging problema.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Disconnecting the battery resets the settings in my car?