New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 83
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,403
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggerx3 View Post
    Kanina while leaving nag start naman hiace ko no problem. Then biglang tumirik di pa ako nakaka layo. Then nag series ako at nag start pero naka ilaw battery light. Possible ba na battery lang problem neto? 2sm battery neto more than 2 years na. Thanks

    Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
    To check get a voltmeter..with engine running the voltage reading should be => 13.5V. That would mean a working alternator

    Get a voltmeter attached to ur cars lighter plug like cathy did

    Also get a portable battery jump starter and keep it fully charged

    Those are the things you need to keep you from stalling on the road with defective electrical car components

    Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

  2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    13,027
    #22
    Nakakadrain din ba ang obd2 reader kapag naka attach siya tapos naka tengga ang sasakyan?

    do what you gotta do so you can do what you wanna do

  3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,403
    #23
    ^To check set the car key to OFF, then check on your phones bluetooth if it will be detected

    Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

  4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,918
    #24
    Alternator voltage should be at least 14V to charge battery properly ... 14.7 V is the ideal charging voltage ...

  5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,931
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alternator voltage should be at least 14V to charge battery properly ... 14.7 V is the ideal charging voltage ...
    Is that measured pre or post regulator?

    Voltage across the battery terminals should eventually stabilize to around 13.8 float charge voltage. If the charging voltage is higher than this even after the battery is already fully charged, it will definitely reduce its life. Flooded cell batteries should be maintained at 2.25 to 2.27V float charge per cell once full.

    Optionally, people can invest on an in-vehicle battery tester that will test both the battery condition and charging system. Either that, or just drop by a Motolite shop and have the same tested for free.
    Last edited by oj88; June 30th, 2018 at 01:10 PM.

  6. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,448
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    Search "battery tester" in olx or lazada.
    From the other thread about battery, I asked if is possible to just use a multimeter to check the battery health instead of a hygrometer.

    Upon searching about this battery tester, I saw a video explaining​ how to use a voltmeter to check how healthy your battery is. It said that normally, voltmeter reading will be 12 and once you crank your engine it will read below 12. You should not have a reading below 10 volts while starting the car. Below 10 means your battery is about to "give up". Once the engine is running, you should have a reading of about 13-14 volts.

    My question now is, how can you check the battery without cranking the engine and by using only a multimeter? Is this even possible?

  7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    38,099
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    From the other thread about battery, I asked if is possible to just use a multimeter to check the battery health instead of a hygrometer.

    Upon searching about this battery tester, I saw a video explaining​ how to use a voltmeter to check how healthy your battery is. It said that normally, voltmeter reading will be 12 and once you crank your engine it will read below 12. You should not have a reading below 10 volts while starting the car. Below 10 means your battery is about to "give up". Once the engine is running, you should have a reading of about 13-14 volts.

    My question now is, how can you check the battery without cranking the engine and by using only a multimeter? Is this even possible?
    yes and no.

    you have to challenge the battery's ability to give out a heavy current. cranking does that. they even ask you to turn on all your headlights and aircon.

    if you check the battery without challenging it, you will probably still get a 12 volt reading, even if the battery will die the next day.

    with the engine running, you are now measuring the alternator's output, which is 13-14 volts. you are not measuring the battery's output.
    they also test this, because, in many instances, the battery is dying because the alternator is defective.

    yes, it is possible to check a battery that is not even connected to the car.
    in older shops, the gadget they use has a large resistance wire that glows lightly, mimicking the starter's high current drain.
    i am assuming, electronic instruments that do not glow hot in the dark, can do this. i used to have a cigarette lighter meter, that warns me of my battery's condition.

    i'm eager to hear from kim. i am more historical. he is more up to date.

  8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    38,099
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    To check get a voltmeter..with engine running the voltage reading should be => 13.5V. That would mean a working alternator

    Get a voltmeter attached to ur cars lighter plug like cathy did

    Also get a portable battery jump starter and keep it fully charged

    Those are the things you need to keep you from stalling on the road with defective electrical car components

    Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    some taxis have a sideline. they have jumper cables, and will jump dead batteries for a fee.
    "open your engine hood", as a signal.

  9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,403
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    From the other thread about battery, I asked if is possible to just use a multimeter to check the battery health instead of a hygrometer.

    Upon searching about this battery tester, I saw a video explaining​ how to use a voltmeter to check how healthy your battery is. It said that normally, voltmeter reading will be 12 and once you crank your engine it will read below 12. You should not have a reading below 10 volts while starting the car. Below 10 means your battery is about to "give up". Once the engine is running, you should have a reading of about 13-14 volts.

    My question now is, how can you check the battery without cranking the engine and by using only a multimeter? Is this even possible?
    A battery is made up of 6 cells, each cell is about 2.1V

    6x2.1V = 12.6V, thats the peak voltage of a healthy battery

    When an engine is started the starter draws current from the battery. Thats known as loading (starter) the source (batt). When current is drawn from the source the voltage of the battery source will sink (go down). Thats the nature of the battery with and without a load.

    Now if a cell of a battety deteriorates, the peak voltage of 12.6V will go down to 10.5V. Each cell that dies on a battery reduces the voltage by 2.1V.

    If cranking the starter reduces the voltage by 2V. A healthy batt with 12.6V will sink to 10.6V for an engine to start. A batt with dead cell will have a 10.5V to begin with will sink to 8.5V once the engine is started. As more cells die the battery becomes weak and no longer useful to start an engine and replaced

    So a voltmeter is an uncommon tool found on cars. Refitting one is a good move for any car owners. Its the best companion in any travel to monitor the health of your car battery

    Complement it with a portable jumpstarter and always keep it charged could be a charm when your battery begins to show signs of failing.





    Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

  10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,403
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    some taxis have a sideline. they have jumper cables, and will jump dead batteries for a fee.
    "open your engine hood", as a signal.
    I have seen some did so out of sheer goodwill

    Its the appreciative private car owners who express their token of appreciation by offering monetary rewards to a kind gesture

    Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Battery drain.