New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Can I ask how long should I use the car to fully charge its battery? My battery drained dahil ilang weeks na hindi nagamit. We seriesed it then drove for 3 hours. Then shut down the engine. Pag bukas ulit ng makina it's having a hard time starting up. We tried to engage the ignition for like 20 seconds saka sya nag start.

Ano kaya problema? Kulang lang ako sa recharge? Something wrong with the battery? Or is it with ignition?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    If the battery is old, it gets sulfated very easily. It will not hold the charge like a new battery would. Try using a battery reconditioner with desulfation function and retest.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BratPAQ View Post
    Can I ask how long should I use the car to fully charge its battery? My battery drained dahil ilang weeks na hindi nagamit. We seriesed it then drove for 3 hours. Then shut down the engine. Pag bukas ulit ng makina it's having a hard time starting up. We tried to engage the ignition for like 20 seconds saka sya nag start.

Ano kaya problema? Kulang lang ako sa recharge? Something wrong with the battery? Or is it with ignition?

MF ba sya and how old? kung yes at >2 yrs na malamang it's time to change.
    pero meron akong >6 yrs experience sa gas fed innova, one click pa rin dati though decided to replace dahil medyo lumobo na ang kanyang sidewall.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    If you have a multimeter, the voltage of the battery should be around 12.6 volts when the car is off. When the car is on with a/c, headlights, stereo, etc. on, it should read about 13.5-14.5 volts. If your reading is below that, then, there is something wrong with your alternator and it is going to kaput!

If, however, your alternator is ok and if the battery is the maintenance free type and is nearing the 2 year mark and it won't charge no matter what, then, it's time to buy a new one. Just call Motolite and they'll install and delivery it for you at your doorstep. They will also check your alternator to see it's ok.

Don't trouble yourself charging it relentlessly, hoping it might spring to life. You'll have more headaches with a discharged battery. Your car won't start in the middle of the road and you to have to push it.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Bring it to a Motolite shop (or any reputable car battery store you want). They have the necessary instruments that can check both the battery’s health and the vehicle’s charging system. The service is free and you can always go to a different shop to get a second opinion.

In my personal experience, in most cases, I was able to bring the battery back to health by charging it with a proper battery charger for several hours. Your mleage will vary depending on the battery’s age and how well it was maintained. I’d do this first before considering replacing it.

Unless absolutely necessary, don’t use the vehicle charging system to charge a depleted battery. This puts a lot of stress on the circuit and can accelerte wear on the alternator brushes, among others. If it can be helped, always charge a depleted battery using an external battery charger.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BratPAQ View Post

you did what? seriesed?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    you did what? seriesed?
    Jumper cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    I use in-car voltmeter for monitoring voltages and have an automatic car battery charger desulfator for maintaining battery health at home.

Sent from my ASUS_X00DDA using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by red_one View Post
    I use in-car voltmeter for monitoring voltages and have an automatic car battery charger desulfator for maintaining battery health at home.
    How much and where did you buy this? Thanks.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    You can buy car voltmeter from olx, lazda, aliexpress ... 300-500 pesos ... buy the one in the picture ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast