New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    how many volts ba dapat ang reading sa alternator.

pinacheck ko minsan battery ko. when attached to the meter reader ba yon eto reading

aircon on, radio on 13.5+
    aircon on, radio on and headlights on 12.6+ na lang

also tested the battery using a digital tester (yung pang electronics ) and almost got the same reading.

sabi nong mechanic mahina na alternator ko.

totoo ba to or its just the battery?

kng battery ang problem, pde pa ba ito i recharge?

thnx in advance

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The 12.6v reading was probably tested while the engine was at idle.

Normal readout with running engine usually at high rpm's should be 13.2-13.8v. Di kaya ng alternator yung current drain ng electricals, which is not normal on any average car. You could upgrade to a high amp alternator to sustain the voltage you car needs. Baka 45amps lang yan?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    normal lead acid voltage output is 2.2 volts x 6 cells = 13.2 volts.

normal charging voltage of the alternator is 13.2 x 110% to 120% = 14.5 to 15.8 volts. any lower than 14.5 and the battery will be hard to charge. any higher than 15.8 and the battery plates will deteriorate.

minimum charging voltage for a lead acid battery ("trickle charge" voltage) is 13.8 volts.

so kung 13.5 lang voltage ng alternator mo then mahina na nga siguro.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    yup had a very similar problem. at idle, the voltage (no load) should be 14V or so. under load, at idle, it shouldn't drop below 13.5V or so (since as yebo points out 13.2V ang nominal battery charge). i tested this with a Fluke 85.

it's misleading/leads to a false sense of security to measure the voltage at high RPM. ganun din ako noon. so what happened is that at idle (stop and go traffic) and full load, namamatay-matay ang radio ko. and some time later.. namatay makina tapos ayaw na mag-start (na-flatten yung battery).

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    so dapat change na ko ng alternator? or pa check ko lang baka pde pa repair?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i suspect the alternator is underpowered. in my experience, i tried to have mine replaced with a surplus unit of the same capacity. same problem, so it wasn't my original alternator. replacing with an alternator of higher capacity fixed the problem.

if you are experiencing problems like: at idle, your dome light blinks in sync with your emergency flashers when at full load (e.g. full aircon, stereo, headlights) then your alternator is definitely under capacity.

you can get a surplus unit for 2000 - 2500. although of course surplus yun, therefore swertihan lang. mga 6000 ang reconditioned. new -- di ko alam (20k daw ang new alternator ng galant!)

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    k pa check sa weekend

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    may kinalaman ba ang charge ba alternator sa bilis ng kotse?
    kapapalit ko lang ng surplus na alternator. parang napansin ko na nadagdagan ng 10 to 15 km/hr and takbo ko sa coastal rd.
    Dahil po kaya sa alternator ito? O masyado lang bumigat ang paa ko this past week?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OT

blkcoffe baka pigil yung ikot nung alternator mong una kaya hirap din yung makina mong ikutin yung alternator which affected ur speed. (just a speculation) :hihihi:
    Last edited by jim; January 31st, 2005 at 11:17 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcoffee
    may kinalaman ba ang charge ba alternator sa bilis ng kotse?
    kapapalit ko lang ng surplus na alternator. parang napansin ko na nadagdagan ng 10 to 15 km/hr and takbo ko sa coastal rd.
    Dahil po kaya sa alternator ito? O masyado lang bumigat ang paa ko this past week?
    Wala po ginanahan lang paa nyo sa pag apak sa silinyador.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Alternator meter readings