New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    I can say exactly the same thing about the new Mini Cooper, VW New Beetle, Mercedes B170, .....
    Iba naman itong tatlong to Sir, kumbaga eh me "story" na, or good reputation sila, eh ang Dodge, wala naman siguro. Sa marketing, a product or brand na me good "story" behind them can command a high price (higher than it's actual value).

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vctradingcubao View Post
    Sa marketing, a product or brand na me good "story" behind them can command a high price (higher than it's actual value).
    The Caliber is a low volume CBU import from the USA, in this case its not the brand that dictates the price, its the high tax they put on imported vehicles from the US and Europe... thats why its marketed here as a premium niche vehicle.
    If it were manufactured in Taiwan, Korea or an ASEAN country(ASEAN Free Trade Area) it would probably be priced P200K-P400K less.

Because of its price disadvantage against vehicles manufactured in Asia and ASEAN region, the Caliber's main selling point in the RP(and most other Asian markets including Japan) is its different, its sort of a luxury even if its not a luxury vehicle.

Caliber SXT
    Last edited by AG4; October 21st, 2007 at 01:47 AM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    that is true... but why don't they import the Mazda CX-7 instead? that would be far more interesting...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Please do not make it appear that Dodge is a niche car player catering to people who want something different .. and do not equate Dodge cars with Mini Cooper, B170 Mercedez or even VW Golf because these cars have built a solid image as wonderful cars. Certainly, even if B170 is quite new, it has gained the respect of car critics and enthusiasts around the world .. Dodge Caliber on the other hand cannot make such claim. The car review of Car and Driver gave the calibar a lackluster rating ..
    http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...int-page6.html

As for the cost .. Dodge now gives a US$600 rebate on all Dodge caliber buyers in the US .. why because the car is doing very badly in the US .. even at an MSRP of US$15,700 (2007 Dodge Caliber SXT, 2.0L I4, 16 valve, 158 hp * 6400 rpm VAR speed automatic transmission).. kaya nga sa mga rent a car na lang may Dodge Caliber eh ..

Regarding the taxes .. Car companies are given special priviledges under the Vehicle development program of the Philippines .. why do you think Kia and Mitsubishi can sell their larger compact SUVs at PhP1.5M .. why because back in Pres. Ramos time .. Pinas wanted to attract Ford, GM and yes even Chrysler to put up assembly facilities in the Philippines .. the agreement also allowed for importation of CBK cars .. The Japanese car assemblers protested .. but could not do much because they were already in the Philippines ..

I would love to see the actual duties paid by Dodge/Chysler Philippines on the importation of Dodge Calibers ..

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hehe...i agree. if there's a marketing company in the Phils that can position the Caliber as a premium niche vehicle, i want their contact info - i will throw a lot of business their way :hihihi:

anyway, i don't mean to be too down on Dodge. if they priced this the same as the Civic i think it's a worthy competitor...para maiba nga. but otherwise it is overpriced any way you slice it. it's not the consumer's fault that Dodge has to pay unfavorable duties.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    it's not the consumer's fault that Dodge has to pay unfavorable duties.
    Many people overlook these things.

The Caliber is not really a practical choice, but there are people out there who would buy it, just like the bigger 300C.
    Even if the Caliber looks different, it could have been a mainstream player if it were manufactured in the RP ot an ASEAN country, but that is not the case, at least for now and the near future.
    Simple thing, if you don't think that the Caliber is worth the local P1.57M asking price, then just get something else like an MPV, SUV or mid-size sedan.

astroboyforte, regarding the Caliber SXT's price...
    The base 2008 Caliber SXT 1.8 M/T in the US costs $16,620.
    The Caliber SXT sold here has some optional features made standard for the RP spec model, like the 2.0 liter engine, CVT2 transmission, ABS, Premium Sound Group(Boston Acoustics & MusicGate), 6 CD AM/FM MP3 Radio and the final price is $18,985, not US$15,700.
    Last edited by AG4; October 21st, 2007 at 06:44 AM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    I understand about Chrysler "niche-ing" the Caliber. Elitism, cachet, and all that.

But it's not comparable to the 300C. The 300C has presence. The Caliber is just... an entry-level compact car (by US standards). By local standards.. I would venture a Camry or a Mazda6 would give comparable presence. That's just me. None of the Europeans come in under 2M unfortunately... well maybe the Volvo S40.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    I can say exactly the same thing about the new Mini Cooper, VW New Beetle, Mercedes B170, but the people who buy these cars are the ones who want something different, obviously practicality is not on the top of their list.
    Want Practical? ...get a diesel Starex.

Caliber SXT side view.
    The difference with the Cooper is that it is actually a luxury vehicle, with better plastics and design than the Caliber. It's also designed to be very nimble and entertaining to drive. It sells itself as a smart "Toy car" for the rich here.The Mercedes B170, I think, is a questionable value, but it makes an argument for itself with the added luxury and space of the interior.

The Beetle? VWs have always been overpriced in this market. It sells on nostalgia factor alone.

The Caliber doesn't have a design that sets it apart from the crowd. No added value, no nostalgia. It's just a well-specced compact being sold for an astronomical price. For some people, being unique is enough, but I doubt they'll sell enough of them to make it worth importing.

By the way, there's word that Chrysler might kill the Caliber's twin, the Compass, due to poor sales. Good riddance, I'd say. While the Caliber may be uncompetitive, it's at least a decent effort. The Compass was just wrong from the beginning.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Just like astroboy, i also had a chance to drive this car for about a month as rental.

here are my impression:
    1. una kong kita sa car rental website, parang maganda. But when i saw the car, it is small. Sobrang sikip sa loob. Maluwag pa kia pride.
    2. the interior is bland. Since entry level car ito ng dodge, you can't expect much.
    3. The engine is 2.0 pero parang mabilis pa yung corolla 1.8. But i was able to hit 100mph in one deserted section in AZ ang kaya pa ng makina
    4. Mas maganda pa ang civic/corolla/mazda 3 sa car na ito. At mas maganda pa ang driving experience

Siguro dapat ka presyo lang sya ng Chevy Optra (700k) baka patulan pa. At 1.5M mas marami ka na puede bilhin na mas magandang SUV (SF, CRV, tucson etc.)

Siguro kung Dodge Charger at 1.5M baka puede pa pag isipan.

But I guess those who will buy caliber will be those that prefers exclusivity, yun bang konti lang kapareho ng kotse nila sa daan.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    based on tsikoteers speculations and fearless comments wala ata sa [SIZE="4"]calibre [/SIZE]itong car na ito based on its price.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
CATS launches the Dodge Caliber 2.0 CVT