New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    God willing, my eldest will finish her BSBA (marketing) course next year. And I plan to send her in UPLB for masteral degree, would this be enough to assure her a high paying career in the future with regards of her selected course?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Undergrad degree gets you your first job.

Getting a higher paying one is all about diskarte.

Suggest you let your kid work first, get some experience, get the masteral degree then look for a new job.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    yes and maybe, depende pa din sa anak mo yan.

yes kasi maganda credentials nya and maybe kung kaya nyang translate ang credentials nya sa trabaho.

i started as a kargador - storekeeper. with the help of experience, training and seminars umangat ako. hindi ako nagpalit palit nang field of expertise.
    Last edited by CLAVEL3699; December 17th, 2015 at 10:49 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentis View Post
    God willing, my eldest will finish her BSBA (marketing) course next year. And I plan to send her in UPLB for masteral degree, would this be enough to assure her a high paying career in the future with regards of her selected course?
    nothing beats experience. you let her work in some field where she can learn things out of life. the world's a great classroom far better than those found in stanford or wharton. and from there, after 5 years or so, if she is still up to it, earn her masters degree on her own. this may sound trite, but still holds true: never let her studies get in the way with her education.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    BS BA from what university? And what particular Master's program will she take?

More than the course, it's your school that matters, at first. Take a look at the biggest multinationals in the country and their Management Trainee programs. About 80-90% of those that get in those programs are from UP/ADMU/DLSU. MT programs have higher starting salaries than regular hires.

In a recent survey conducted by the Ateneo Placement Office, fresh grads typically start with a 20-25k salary. If you're part of an MT program, you usually start with 35-60k. On top of that, you're expected to get promoted faster (typically in 3-5 years you're in a managerial position).

Of course, the course matters too. A physics graduate will have difficulty creating business cases, marketing proposals, and so on because of his lack of exposure to those tasks. But I have friends who's a physics graduate but was taken in by one of the biggest companies in the Philippines as one of their sales/marketing guys. Of course, it helps that he graduated Magna Cum Laude from DLSU.

And that leads me to my next point, more than just the course and school, your kid's achievements also matter in determining how high she starts on the corporate ladder. Grades are always important, but companies nowadays would prefer the Cum Laude graduate with a lot of org work rather than the Summa Cum Laude with no extra curricular activities to speak of. As another example, one of my friends was an average student grades-wise, but was the president of her org in college and won several international marketing competitions, so she got into one of the biggest multinational FMCGs as a management trainee for marketing.

A Master's degree so early on in your kid's career doesn't offer much of an advantage. Especially if it's an MBA, because it'll be rather redundant with her college degree. An engineering grad who takes up an MBA will greatly benefit from it, but all my friends who already finished great business programs in college said that their MBA (even if it was from ADMU/UP) were a waste of time learning-wise. Additional connections help, but this early on in your kid's career, it doesn't amount to much. I would suggest that rather than spending an extra 2 years studying, let her get a job, gain experience, and build her network. If by the time she's 25, she still feels that an MBA is helpful, then let her take it and make her pay for it herself. At least she'll appreciate the value of an MBA that way.

I have to reiterate though, your school and course only gives you a headstart in the corporate world. It will make you start higher up the grid, but how you get promoted after that is entirely up to you as a person - how willing you are to learn, how much effort you put in your job, how effective you are in dealing with results. These things are molded by your education, but are in most part really determined by your character and abilities.

Just my two cents as a business grad myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jut703; December 17th, 2015 at 10:59 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Mas ok mag work muna siya. Then tiyaka siya kumuha ng masteral na base sa need ng carrer na gusto niya.
    Kung may business ka naman sir. On my opinion mas ok na siya na mismo maging marketing ng business mo.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    I told her that too, she should be the one to take up all the challenges and nourishing her career. Specially, we are living from the south side though may mga magagandang company naman dito it pays naman a provincial rate. At kung she plan to work in NCR dapat ready talaga sya to compete and of course sa hirap ng transportation.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mba without experience is worthless. work experience muna bago masters.

she should target to work for companies that send their employees for their mba while working. free na mba nya tapos kung swertihin pa siya e baka sa aim pa siya i-sponsor ng company nya.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    mba without experience is worthless. work experience muna bago masters.

she should target to work for companies that send their employees for their mba while working. free na mba nya tapos kung swertihin pa siya e baka sa aim pa siya i-sponsor ng company nya.
    pwede naman na may MBA without experience na sya basta kaya nyang pangatawanan ang MBA degree nya.

Hindi naman MBA degree kaagad ang pinag uusapan, yung PERFORMANCE nya plus yung personality nya towards colleagues and bosses. Mas madali kasi sya uusad from that.

Some I know na nag MBA while working kadalasan hindi natatapos dahil kung hindi company sponsored dahil sa pagod kinatatamaran na.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Siguro sir sa ngayon. Kung gusto niya maging equip talaga to look for a good job. Dapat galingan niya sa school. Sumali siya sa mga org or contest. She can work as freelancer din.. after graduation she had enough experience than other.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast