New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Do you consider gold and jewelrry as an investment?

My wife and I were discussing this. She thinks that jewellry is an investment. For me its a luxury item. She said it does not lose value and it will appreciate in value. She said that a diamond bought by her mom a long time ago is now worth a whole lot more.

I consider gold and silver bullion as an investment. Gold and silver has been considered as money since the old testament. It has never lost its appeal.

What are your opinons?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    half/half for me...siguro mga diamonds but not golds

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    value of gold fluctuates as well.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    probably diamonds, though gold still are a good investments, right now for luxurious investments rolex, cartier and other high end watches may be a good investment as well...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you are not really well versed in the jewelry business then NO. most of the time the buying price of jewelry is higher than its selling price. binabarat pag ibenta mo na kasi "used" na siya, at ibebenta mo lang pag "in need" ka. even if both are not true that is the impression of the buyer and they will always lower their price than the fair price for it.

so answer is half/half nga. pag jeweller ka yes, pag hindi naman talaga yan ang business mo and you are just looking to park your money, then the answer is no.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    i was also curious about this before and did some rudimentary research;
    i found that

from the mid 70s up to present, the dow went from 1000 to 7000 (7x),
    gold went from 200 to 800 (4x), cash compounded at a conservative rate of 5% 100 becomes 525 (5x), corn flakes .45 to 2.99 (6x) and big mac from .60 to 3.57 (6x).

you make the call if its a worhtwhile investment after those numbers.

and gold/stones in jewelry are not that easy to dispose of at the price you want unless they are really special.

on the plus side, in case of war/disaster they are more easily brought from point a to point b, it might look good on you, and your wife will be happy if you give them to her =)

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    double post

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you've got extra money, and you won't need that money to earn, then yes, invest in golds and diamonds. Magandang ipamana sa mga anak yan.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dx8976 View Post
    i was also curious about this before and did some rudimentary research;
    i found that

from the mid 70s up to present, the dow went from 1000 to 7000 (7x),
    gold went from 200 to 800 (4x), cash compounded at a conservative rate of 5% 100 becomes 525 (5x), corn flakes .45 to 2.99 (6x) and big mac from .60 to 3.57 (6x).

you make the call if its a worhtwhile investment after those numbers.

and gold/stones in jewelry are not that easy to dispose of at the price you want unless they are really special.

on the plus side, in case of war/disaster they are more easily brought from point a to point b, it might look good on you, and your wife will be happy if you give them to her =)
    Right! So timing is everything. If we adjust the date and say since the start of this millennium (year 2000) then Gold vastly outperformed stocks or pretty much any other asset class...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^^^agree with boss boybi and cutedoc in terms of high end wathes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
gold and jewellry