New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    What are your habits that help you cut your expenses?

Share us your tips! Let me start...

1. I pay for my credit card in full and on time
    2. I don't purchase items with interest
    3. I have my haircut once or twice a year
    4. I paint my own nails - this saves half the cost per salon visit
    5. We are slowly replacing our regular lights to LED lights
    6. I make use of free items or rewards (eg free coke at shell for every P2k receipt)
    7. We use power sockets with switch - surprisingly reduced our electrical bill since all our TVs, fans etc used to be plugged in directly at the socket and that is supposed to consume electricity daw
    8. I don't keep up with trends on technology - I will use my gadget until it dies
    9. I cancelled my magazine and newpaper subscription
    10. I don't regularly buy clothes or shoes - I buy cheap flats from the tiangge (mostly around P300-400)
    11. I don't spend for vacations - I don't itch to travel. This makes up for a big expense for some family and friends!
    12. I shop online to look for better deals - I buy a lot of items from Amazon and it saves me a lot of money
    13. I wax my car - aside from saving money, I also go by "If you want something done well, do it yourself"
    14. I go to the wet market to buy fish and vegetables - it's so much cheaper than buying at the supermarket
    15. I avoid going to places where I have to pay for parking
    16. I plan my trips - hindi ako naglalagari when driving
    Last edited by _Cathy_; May 6th, 2014 at 08:45 PM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I have a monthly budget and I strictly follow it.

I also try to live as if I only made half of my salary. It forces me to be more frugal and allows me to save more.

I disagree though with the point on traveling - it's okay to travel and it's one of the key things to a well-rounded life. There are many ways to see the beauty of the country and the world without spending exorbitantly. I spent a week in Boracay last summer for under 7k including airfare and station 1 accommodations, with enough left for activities such as parasailing.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I disagree though with the point on traveling - it's okay to travel and it's one of the key things to a well-rounded life. There are many ways to see the beauty of the country and the world without spending exorbitantly. I spent a week in Boracay last summer for under 7k including airfare and station 1 accommodations, with enough left for activities such as parasailing.

I enjoy travelling too but I don't make an effort to save money for it. I just go with my family so I don't have to pay for airfare and accommodations. I know people that travel every chance they get (eg long weekends) and some that really allot a budget for travel. I am not that way lang talaga, and it saves me money

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Nobody can beat an ilocano mother when it comes to frugal living. The words "awan ngarud" still rings in my ear untill now, that is because whenever me and my siblings asks for something before, my mom would just say that magic words and it will be the end of discussion. Learn to say no to the kids when it comes to "wants." How? Say "awan ngarud."

My mom is a master of the art of haggling. I really cannot decipher how she do it but she once brought down an orchid's price from 1000 to just 50 pesos.

Hand me down is another technique of her. Our youngest once tore down a gown intentionally so as not to use it, but instead of buying her a new one, my mom went to the tailor shop to simply put it back in shape.

And because of her ways, she was able to send all 6 of us to college in a public teacher's meager salary. Now she is enjoying her retirement in a Texas ranch in the U.S. of A.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Ito sigurado ako madami sa tsikot.com and ibang car forums

Stop buying unncessary add-ons for your car tapos titipirin yung sarili. (Hindi na maganda kung yung kotse pormado pero yung may-ari dahil tinitipid yung sarili at katawan eh nadugyot yung itsura.)

6. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    In addition to TS, I pay my utility bills 12 months ahead of schedule to get 1 month free of subscription like CATV, association dues etc... We buy fruits per box instead of per kilo in divisoria then we share it with my sister & relatives. I buy majority of my housewares stuff in divisoria also ( di sa 168 mall ah...) kundi may mga specific stores for kitchenware, office supplies, fruits, etc.... Kaya nga pag pumupunta kami ng divisoria di pwede kotse ang dala dapat ay big car eh. baka next time truck na siguro. hehe

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    It is a common Filipino trait to be materialistic and flamboyant. Picture this: having a signature bag but haggle too much even the most inexpensive merchandise from a sidewalk vendor. Di bagay noh?

Nakiki wi-fi lang

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    getting high on DIY. tools pay for themselves many times over instead of paying for labor who sometimes even have to ask you for tools.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

We live within our means...

Even if you earn a million a day,- if you spend a million and one a day, you'd still be poor....

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Income - savings = expenses

Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast