New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    To be fair Kris Aquino is eloquent.

Krees Aquino is yaya speak and yaya talk. All for pa cute.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn_duke View Post
    Correct, pero from 1987 pati yung English domain subjects (pre-1987) ay tinuturo na sa Pilipino.
    ""In 1974 the Bilingual Education Policy (BEP) was established. The Soriano Committee recommended the use of both English and Pilipino as media of instruction in both elementary and high school, depending on the domain (or subjects). "English domain" refers to teaching in English for English Communication Arts, Mathematics, and Science. "Pilipino domain" refers to teaching in Pilipino for Pilipino Communi* cation Arts, Social Studies and History (Department of Education, 1974). ... The BEP was recast to refer Filipino (now spelled with an f as the language of literacy and scholarly discourse while English is referred to as the inte ational language and non-exclusive language of science and technology (Bernardo, 2004). EDCOM, the Congressional Commission for Education was formed in 1991. It advised for all subjects, except for English, to be taught in Filipino. This recommendation remained to be unimplemented."

Grace Shangkuan Koo, "English Language in Philippine Education: Themes and Variations in Policy, Practice, Pedagogy and Research". Asia Pacific Journal of Research in Early Childhood Education. Vol. 2, No.1, pp. 19-33, 2008.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...dwty3KMSz7tvYK

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i agree.
    pinabayaan natin ang english language.
    it will take many years before our children can speak decently the english tongue...
    some might call it nationalism. i call it throwing away our advantage.
    stupid.
    or maybe, tamad.
    or shortsighted.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    At one time, around the Commonwealth era, the Philippines was the only English speaking country in Asia. The Philippine national anthem was sung in both English and Tagalog.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    At one time, around the Commonwealth era, the Philippines was the only English speaking country in Asia. The Philippine national anthem was sung in both English and Tagalog.
    land of the morning.
    child of the sun returning.
    with fervor burning,
    thee do our souls adore...

my parents, born in the second decade of the 1900s, would sing this, from time to time.
    i am sure they also knew japanese songs, but they never sang any, in my presence.
    Last edited by dr. d; February 13th, 2018 at 07:44 AM.

6. Join Date
    May 2014
    subscribing

7. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    land of the morning.
    child of the sun returning.
    with fervor burning,
    thee do our souls adore...

my parents, born in the second decade of the 1900s, would sing this, from time to time.
    i am sure they also knew japanese songs, but they never sang any, in my presence.
    I grew up with English and Filipino versions of "Lupang Hinirang" and my school song in UP. I felt the Filipino versions were more poetic, and the American-English versions were corny.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Learning English is not tantamount to foregoing nationalism.

Most western European countries still use their native tongue as primary language. But your typical frenchman will still be able to competently converse in English, both in speech and writing, when necessary.

Nationalism is a lousy excuse when the real problem is that our school systems aren't effective enough in equipping students with globally competitive English capabilities.

Behind na nga tayo sa math and science, pati ba naman English kangkungan pa rin.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by makinao View Post
    I grew up with English and Filipino versions of "Lupang Hinirang" and my school song in UP. I felt the Filipino versions were more poetic, and the American-English versions were corny.
    i agree.
    i believe the lyrics using the original language it was written for, is the most effective version to impart whatever it is supposed to impart.
    it takes an effective translator, for the english translation not to end up sounding corny. just read the american translation of the native lyrics of our local songs.

no te vayas, no te vayas a zamboanga...
    don't you go, don't you go, to far zamboanga...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i agree.
    i believe the lyrics using the original language it was written for, is the most effective version to impart whatever it is supposed to impart.
    it takes an effective translator, for the english translation not to end up sounding corny. just read the american translation of the native lyrics of our local songs.
    Although Lupang Hinirang was originally in Spanish (Patria Adorada), and UP Naming Mahal was originally in English (UP Beloved).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast