New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    pag aartista ?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Yes, my career is definitely related to my course (BS Computer Science).
    And yes, follow your heart! I became the black sheep of my family because I didn't take up Business, or Medicine or Architecture.

Anyway, I may not be earning as much as my relatives who took up BS ME, BS MH, MECO, etc.... but at least I'm doing what I want to do. And yes, I'm working here in RP.

I've had a lot of office mates who took up IT courses because they thought it was the "in thing" and would bring them lots of moolah. But the thing is...it's not their frikkin passion! So there, they just sit and write mediocre code. They don't keep abreast with the latest technologies. Kailangan palaging may formal training whenever there's a new tech that they need to use. They don't even bother to learn how to debug. They're just wasting precious oxygen in the office. In the end, they act as negative resources because they force the good software engineers to help them. Later on they resign and move to sales or marketing.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    +1. never close your doors on options.

i guess you can still afford to think this way pero it won't help you in raising a family in the future. won't help you raise your standard of living. why keep yourself down when everybody else is trying get up.
    Well then, I shall take it as a challenge. I'd rather be a doctor in the Philippines than a mere nurse abroad.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ess View Post
    Yes, my career is definitely related to my course (BS Computer Science).
    And yes, follow your heart! I became the black sheep of my family because I didn't take up Business, or Medicine or Architecture.

Anyway, I may not be earning as much as my relatives who took up BS ME, BS MH, MECO, etc.... but at least I'm doing what I want to do. And yes, I'm working here in RP.

I've had a lot of office mates who took up IT courses because they thought it was the "in thing" and would bring them lots of moolah. But the thing is...it's not their frikkin passion! So there, they just sit and write mediocre code. They don't keep abreast with the latest technologies. Kailangan palaging may formal training whenever there's a new tech that they need to use. They don't even bother to learn how to debug. They're just wasting precious oxygen in the office. In the end, they act as negative resources because they force the good software engineers to help them. Later on they resign and move to sales or marketing.
    Haha I guess that I'm completely the opposite of your officemates. Ngayon palang I already prefer anything computer related over sales and marketing.

I don't know if it's a good idea to transfer school and study CoE or just finish ME and try to make my way towards computer/IT-related work anyway.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    By ME, you mean Management Engineering, not Mechanical Engineering right? Because I know that ME means Mechanical Engineering. I just finished filing up my form for shifting from ECE to Mechanical Engineering. They say that most engineering courses are so related to each other when it comes to their career, but I still shifted to ECE to Mech. Engineering for the reason that I am more into it, rather than ECE, so just follow what you want!

Well, most people say that our college programs doesn't really affect our future career, and I agree with that, unless you want to be a teacher or professor in that field or like what others say, such as a programmer or any of that kind.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by digitel View Post
    By ME, you mean Management Engineering, not Mechanical Engineering right? Because I know that ME means Mechanical Engineering. I just finished filing up my form for shifting from ECE to Mechanical Engineering. They say that most engineering courses are so related to each other when it comes to their career, but I still shifted to ECE to Mech. Engineering for the reason that I am more into it, rather than ECE, so just follow what you want!

Well, most people say that our college programs doesn't really affect our future career, and I agree with that, unless you want to be a teacher or professor in that field or like what others say, such as a programmer or any of that kind.

Yes sir, Management Engg. If you say ME in UP or any other university, they're more used to the conventional Mech. Engg. In Ateneo, since the Engineering is generally Pathetic, the only ME they know is Management Engineering.

One of the things that dissuades me from shifting is because sobrang taas ng tingin ng mga tao sa Ateneo sa ME. I always get the reaction, "ME ka na, ba't lilipat ka pa?" Though I do know of this guy who chose to study Developmental Studies, a course regarded as lower-tier, over ME, Mgt-H or other bigtime courses. I can't help but wonder, if it doesn't really matter, why is there such discrimination of courses during college?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

Would it be alright to ask what job you started in? I'm sort of thinking this is a rare case, because if college was not a necessity as in your circumstance, then why do people give it so much importance?

I'm sorry, I can't tell anyone. Confidential.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    One of the things that dissuades me from shifting is because sobrang taas ng tingin ng mga tao sa Ateneo sa ME. I always get the reaction, "ME ka na, ba't lilipat ka pa?" Though I do know of this guy who chose to study Developmental Studies, a course regarded as lower-tier, over ME, Mgt-H or other bigtime courses. I can't help but wonder, if it doesn't really matter, why is there such discrimination of courses during college?
    IMO there is discrimination for the fact that it has the "elite" sense. it might not be a big deal for you but for some baka yan first choice nila but ended up with their second choice.

in the corporate world, there is also discrimination. from the line of industry... to the company vs company discrimination. but it does not mean that the ones that are discriminated against are not happy with their work. its just there kasi its the "elite" vs "pangmasa" thing.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    and to add, it's not all about earning so much. ang dami dyan lakas kumita, pero lumba-lumba naman. kahit anong tapal nya sa pera kahit kanino, he/she just doesn't look good.

ang maganda eh yun may sapat na pera, pero mukang college ka pa din, if not for life.

priceless

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I took up Mechanical Engineering in Mapua back in the early 80's. I didn't really want to. But, it was my parents pushing me to do so. A year into majoring, I decided I had had enough and went back to the US where I pursued what I really wanted to be which is a weather forecaster. A lot of the stuff I learned in Mapua helped such as writing bulletins and technical reports. Plus, all the math I learned beforehand enabled me to score very high in the college placement tests and skip the basic courses as a result.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Does Your College Course Actually Help Siginificantly in Starting Your Career?