New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    None of the above. Look for work in other countries.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I agree with the sentiment that it's better to run your own business than be an employee for your entire career.

Thing is, going into business is very very risky. On average, 90% of businesses fail. Those that stay afloat aren't all multi-million businesses. What we see are the success stories, but for every successful business, there are hundreds of thousands of failed ventures.

If you're from an entrepreneurial family, the decision is easy to make as the risk is somewhat mitigated. You've been exposed to business since childhood, and you've got a good support system to mentor you through your journey. If you're dirt poor or have a job that barely makes ends meet, it's also an easy decision to go into business since there's no other way to achieve financial comfort. Your hardships will fuel you to hustle and force your business to succeed.

But for those who have potentially good corporate careers, the decision isn't as simple. Your opportunity cost is a stable income enough to send your kids to good schools, buy a house and a few cars, take trips abroad every now and then, and live a comfortable life in general. Will you be willing to risk that for the slim chance that you'll make it really big?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I had three failed business ventures. One (tech service) i was lucky enough to exit out of and get bought out. The other two (retail) i ended up losing everything i put in. Was lucky enough to still get into the corp world. It really is hit or miss with more misses than hits. I tried and failed 3x. Cant afford to fail anymore. So now i have lots of bosses hehehehe. Anyways id go for fmcg or tech.

Lots of good paying jobs out there if you have the experience. My close friend is an employee in the local financial sector and his income taxes alone are high 8 digits a year
    Last edited by EQAddict; March 22nd, 2015 at 07:19 PM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I agree with the sentiment that it's better to run your own business than be an employee for your entire career.

Thing is, going into business is very very risky. On average, 90% of businesses fail. Those that stay afloat aren't all multi-million businesses. What we see are the success stories, but for every successful business, there are hundreds of thousands of failed ventures.

If you're from an entrepreneurial family, the decision is easy to make as the risk is somewhat mitigated. You've been exposed to business since childhood, and you've got a good support system to mentor you through your journey. If you're dirt poor or have a job that barely makes ends meet, it's also an easy decision to go into business since there's no other way to achieve financial comfort. Your hardships will fuel you to hustle and force your business to succeed.

But for those who have potentially good corporate careers, the decision isn't as simple. Your opportunity cost is a stable income enough to send your kids to good schools, buy a house and a few cars, take trips abroad every now and then, and live a comfortable life in general. Will you be willing to risk that for the slim chance that you'll make it really big?
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    I had three failed business ventures. One (tech service) i was lucky enough to exit out of and get bought out. The other two (retail) i ended up losing everything i put in. Was lucky enough to still get into the corp world. It really is hit or miss with more misses than hits. I tried and failed 3x. Cant afford to fail anymore. So now i have lots of bosses hehehehe. Anyways id go for fmcg or tech.

Lots of good paying jobs out there if you have the experience. My close friend is an employee in the local financial sector and his income taxes alone are high 8 digits a year
    +100 very good points!
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Thank you for all coming advices, I'm so grateful na may mga ganitong discussion that can give insight for a bagito like me,..and it is so proud that it is coming from those people like you who experienced a lot in this kind of scene and coming from different industries. Salamat ng marami. Truly worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

actually sir Jut, I'm a graduate of B.S Entrep. Management course, and I feel na parang kulang parin yung mga tinuro sa school. I want to explore more, gain more experience and syempre makaipon ng pampuhunan kaya I choose to go to work muna it is really my plan to establish my own business someday (I already planned for it even before going to college and also that made me a decision to take that course) My parents also have a business (just a small business - enough to support our daily needs, send my sister to decent school, save enough for emergency and buy things that we want occasionally) and yes I witnessed how they encounter failures on early times and now I'm so thankful to God that their current business is doing great.

now, I'm only end up on two choices a general cable/hi-standard electric wires products company and a firm that is engage in manufacturing and distribution of PE Bags and corrugated box silang dalawa ang mas accessible sakin.....since ung FMGC firm that I was mentioned was based in Mandaluyong and it is 2 hours of travel from my place here in Laguna.

Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    to add.... banks have jr. assistant manager ranks, which is equivalent to team leads, supervisors in other structures.
    in the IT industry, its senior analyst level....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

to add.... banks have jr. assistant manager ranks, which is equivalent to team leads, supervisors in other structures.
    in the IT industry, its senior analyst level....

yes....
    difference of 300 pesos in salary, but with greater responsibilities and accountabilities.
    sir, you got pm

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by zap.FREEDOM View Post

actually sir Jut, I'm a graduate of B.S Entrep. Management course, and I feel na parang kulang parin yung mga tinuro sa school. I want to explore more, gain more experience and syempre makaipon ng pampuhunan kaya I choose to go to work muna it is really my plan to establish my own business someday (I already planned for it even before going to college and also that made me a decision to take that course) My parents also have a business (just a small business - enough to support our daily needs, send my sister to decent school, save enough for emergency and buy things that we want occasionally) and yes I witnessed how they encounter failures on early times and now I'm so thankful to God that their current business is doing great.

now, I'm only end up on two choices a general cable/hi-standard electric wires products company and a firm that is engage in manufacturing and distribution of PE Bags and corrugated box silang dalawa ang mas accessible sakin.....since ung FMGC firm that I was mentioned was based in Mandaluyong and it is 2 hours of travel from my place here in Laguna.
    yan naman talaga ang buhay eh... you would only use 5% of what you got from school from what you will do it your latter years. everything boils down to experience, failures and lessons that you experience everyday. as a comparative point, the shareholders here in my company are MBA-educated from US schools and their logic in business sucks... daig pa sila ng mga tao dito na street smart. credentials lang naman yan that you can use in entering employment.

business? i have failed in 4 businesses.... lahat, except one malaki ang nawala.... but it had taught me lessons that i still use today.
    one advice that i can give you is to get a mentor who is experienced.... matutulungan ka nyan.... i am in my middle age and i still have business mentors.

Quote Originally Posted by zap.FREEDOM View Post

yan naman talaga ang buhay eh... you would only use 5% of what you got from school from what you will do it your latter years. everything boils down to experience, failures and lessons that you experience everyday. as a comparative point, the shareholders here in my company are MBA-educated from US schools and their logic in business sucks... daig pa sila ng mga tao dito na street smart. credentials lang naman yan that you can use in entering employment.

business? i have failed in 4 businesses.... lahat, except one malaki ang nawala.... but it had taught me lessons that i still use today.
    one advice that i can give you is to get a mentor who is experienced.... matutulungan ka nyan.... i am in my middle age and i still have business mentors.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Career growth thru bank is not so good.
    i couldnt agree more on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bentotz View Post
    minimum 3yrs bago ka mapromote pag sa bank, mabilis na nga 'yun.. and maraming level ang officer sa banks, ex jam1/2/3.. then am, m1/2... mabilis umangat pag lumipat ka sa mga competitor na banks..
    i agree. a minimum of 2-3 years before you get promoted. then there is lvl 2-5 before AM. isipin mo kung gano katgal un. i worked sa metro before and ung ka work ko dun is working for 13 years already and bago pa lang sia mag officer. ndi pa un ung manager ng bank ha. imagine 13 years.

i still work in a bank though but im having the same dilemma and thats what brought me here. im planning to switch industries by next year pa naman pero iniisip ko na kung saan. im not satisfied with mu salary kasi sa bank. though a good training ground if ur in TRUST or treasury. corporate banking too.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    your passion will define what kind of job you are looking for. after all, intrinsic happiness is the most important consideration in job hunting. btw, having 4 job offers is awesome, you must be good.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

For the next 3-5 years,- learn as much as you can from the Corporate world,- they have a lot of good business practices and checks and balances and a55holes and dem*ns....

If your parents have some dough to spare,- convince them to lend you some and dive into business... Don't look back,- be passionate about what you do as if there is no tomorrow,- it is your life and your future.... You could fail, but you cannot afford it....

Corporate world are for those people (like me) who sell their talents/time; Running your own business affords you to be on the driver's seat;- while making your money earn more money.... Now,- that is the real talent!

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

26.0K:poop:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Saka I don't believed na since car is your "passion" you should work na in car dealership or In automative industry.

Ano bang passion mo Sa car? You loved cars, everybody here as well. Pero hanggang doon na lang yun.

Go where the money is or to where you can learn more.

But I'll go for the money. Career Shift Advice

Hinde rin ako naniniwala na do something that you enjoy so it won't feel like working.

When was the late time you know somebody na ginawa yan?

Either money or experience to get more money. At the end of the day it's all about money.
    Last edited by shadow; March 27th, 2015 at 08:46 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast