Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    Sounds like a lot of risk.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Conduct due diligence.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    they borrow your money at 30% p.a. and lend out the money to people or small businesses at much much higher interest and they make money from the spread

what happens when their borrowers default?

they default on you too
    It is a "paiwi program" (paki-google).
    They don't borrow and lend. You are greatly mistaken.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    well you use the term "Micro Finance Investment"

Microfinance
    Microfinance, also called microcredit​, is a type of banking service that is provided to unemployed or low-income individuals or groups who otherwise would have no other access to financial services.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    why don't they use their own capital to raise livestock?

why are they asking for money from investors?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    quick read on "paiwi"

in other words -- CROWDFUNDING

6. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    why don't they use their own capital to raise livestock?

why are they asking for money from investors?
    Let me take a guess.

The paiwi program as I know it, is practiced in the hog and fishcage industry. It is a system where an investor provides capital and an industrial partner providing the labor, the profit is split between the two based on their arrangement. There is a high risk in these type of investment practice as it is exposed to a lot of uncontrollable factors like disease, force majeure and even malicious intent by the industrial partner. Thus, in this practice, the investor increases his return to compensate for the high risk by overpricing the inputs, i.e, feeds for hogs and fish, in the hope he gets lucky with the first run which will serve as buffer for losses in succeeding runs. The investor in this case are usually dealers of these animal feeds. They profit three ways, from the volume discount, the normal profit margin and the mark-up.

No this is just a guess and I have no intention of maligning the dv boer paiwi program. I think the goat breeder, is the facilitator between the investor and the industrial partner, generating sales for his goat business, but is immune from the contract itself. Check the contract, if there is a guarantee of payback, if there is, then I am wrong and this is a risk free high yield investment.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234