New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dhisky View Post
    Is this normal?

Pag mga 1 day ko di ginagamit oto and unang pihit ng susi to turn on the engine ayaw, laging sa second try pumapasok. Akala ko tuloy lagi ubos na battery.

Voltomete showing

12.4 engine off
    14.6 engine on

nangyayari lang pag matagal di binubuksan makina.

Battery is 1 year and 8 months pa lang.

Update ko lang ito.

Battery 1 year and 10 months (tumagal pa ng 2 months).

Sobrang hirap na talaga mag start mga nakaka 5 pihit ako ng susi bago bumukas engine.

Car voltometer from Lazada showing that the battery is normal (12+ engine off, 14+ engine on).

Pumunta na ako mekanino kasi baka iba sira, they check the battery with battery tester ba yun? Sa kanila ang reading 10+ na lang pag engine off and told me na mag palit na ng battery. Di ako nasa satisfy and punta ulit iba naman mekaniko, same reading, same recommendation, palit batt na talaga.

Does it mean hindi reliable itong mga car voltometer na ito?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Just the battery voltage alone is not a reliable measure of battery capacity.
    Compare the battery to a low level water tank, even with good pressure ( from the pump), it cannot SUSTAIN the electrical load. The voltage is the electrical pressure, the ability to sustain (current) is the amount of water in the tank.

What I have been doing is loading the battery while checking the voltage. A simple way to do this is to disable fuel delivery and crank the engine a few seconds while observing the battery voltage. If the voltage drops below 11 volts while cranking, change the battery and repeat the test. If the voltage still falls below 11 volts, replace the battery.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Just the battery voltage alone is not a reliable measure of battery capacity.
    Compare the battery to a low level water tank, even with good pressure ( from the pump), it cannot SUSTAIN the electrical load. The voltage is the electrical pressure, the ability to sustain (current) is the amount of water in the tank.

What I have been doing is loading the battery while checking the voltage. A simple way to do this is to disable fuel delivery and crank the engine a few seconds while observing the battery voltage. If the voltage drops below 11 volts while cranking, change the battery and repeat the test. If the voltage still falls below 11 volts, replace the battery.
    Will this kind of test do good for newer cars? From what I understand, you disable the fuel pump by removing the fuse. Is that right? For cars equipped with PCM and with almost all controls relying to computer, will it not give you code error once you disabled your fuel pump?

From what I've read, you can do your own battery voltmeter by connecting two series resistors and parallel it to one resistor. That series parallel resistors should serve as your probe as you connect it to your multimeter. I haven't tried it so I can't remember the values of resistors.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    Will this kind of test do good for newer cars? From what I understand, you disable the fuel pump by removing the fuse. Is that right? For cars equipped with PCM and with almost all controls relying to computer, will it not give you code error once you disabled your fuel pump?

From what I've read, you can do your own battery voltmeter by connecting two series resistors and parallel it to one resistor. That series parallel resistors should serve as your probe as you connect it to your multimeter. I haven't tried it so I can't remember the values of resistors.

I have used this procedure on MY 2018 cars without adverse effects. Or, if you don't feel comfortable with this concept, remove the ECU fuse while load testing the battery. Or, bypass the starting circuit with the ignition switch off and crank the engine while observing the voltage. Whichever applies to your car, that's what you use.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009

6. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    It's a blank page...

EDIT: Sorry, the page won't load for a long time. Now I see it.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008

A simple way to do this is to disable fuel delivery and crank the engine a few seconds while observing the battery voltage. If the voltage drops below 11 volts while cranking, change the battery and repeat the test. If the voltage still falls below 11 volts, replace the battery.
    ...this seems... "wrong"...?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by robot.sonic View Post
    I suggest na instead of voltmeter yung elm327 na obd2 scanner na lang. for less than 500 sa lazada mas madaming has info na nakukuha. May ganon ako dati sa jazz kaso binigay ko kay mel casaba.
    Bumili ako ng bagong elm327 kaso napansin ko na pag matagal nang nakasaksak sa obd2 port ay nagkaka check engine ako. Happened twice. Nung di ko na kinabit ay di na umulit. Baka nakaka interrupt sa communication system ng oto.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    ...this seems... "wrong"...?

Gomen nasai neh!

It's supposed to read " charge the battery and retest"

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gomen nasai neh!

It's supposed to read " charge the battery and retest"
    ah ok!

btw, high output chargers that are capable of starting the engine, are hideously expensive here.