New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    guys, wat can you say about putting some eyelids?
    do they have purposes or just for pogi points?

i'm planning to put some eyelids kasi.
    vynil type lang. para madaling alisin at ikabit.

thanks guys!

2. Join Date
    May 2007

Eye lids are nice, but I would suggest you to use a metal instead of vinyl then have it profesionally paint. Use a paper or card board to use as a pattern. Anything you may have in your mind will do and its your creation and of course, one of a kind. You can use a velcro or 3M tape to install it.

I was going to put an eyelid in my car before, but too many are doing on it so thats why I made my own style to stand out from the crowd. Now accord owner keep asking where did I bought mine.

As you can see above still un-finished. I cut it to exposed the headlights and drill a hole right above on it so there is no obstruction of the signal lights. Then have it painted professionally.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    It's just like make-up - to make your car stand out from other similar models. Not my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat. Some people do it nicely, some don't.

If you look at new cars today a lot of high end models have them so I can understand the fad...

Just make sure your modification is reversible if you're not 100% sure you want to keep it. That way you can just take it out as if nothing happened.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    panu pu ginawa yan? ang cute naman. balak ko made out of fiber glass eh.. para madali icustomize. hehe anung klaseng metal po yan?

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gala09 View Post
    panu pu ginawa yan? ang cute naman. balak ko made out of fiber glass eh.. para madali icustomize. hehe anung klaseng metal po yan?
    No....its not a metal. I used pre molded polymer then I cut it to shape the way I want then have it painted. I was going to use metal before till I saw this in the net, just like this one.

Fiber glass will do basta kaya mong gawin, if not pumunta ka doon sa mga latero at magpagawa ka. Again, use paper or cardboard to shape the way you want it then yan ang ipapakita mo sa kanila as a pattern at kaya pa nilang i-shape sa ilaw ng kotse mo para lapat na lapat.

Enlarge Image
    Last edited by v6dreamer; July 9th, 2008 at 03:04 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pogi points lang ang function niya. and that's debatable, since some cars look better with them, some don't...at depende nga sa style nung eyelid as the others said.

a word of caution on vinyl eyelids, they look pretty tacky up close and look horrible if they start getting dirty or faded or chipped...

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    I have seen some make their own from Vinyl sticker, cutting it out into some very creative shapes. Sticks neatly on the headlamp.

Does that come out 'ricey'? I mean, do eyelids have to be made out of a hard shell?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Guys, I believe the purpose of eyelids on cars could be well related to this one...

"Japan invents Automobile With Feelings (Toyota's "mood" car)
    TOO CUTE!
    I WANT ONE..

THE expression "road rage" usually refers to infuriated drivers who lose control of their temper and lash out at other motorists. But what if a car could also express anger, crouching low on its wheel base and glowering with red headlights like a lion about to pounce?

Four inventors working for Toyota in Japan have won a patent for a car that they say can help drivers communicate better by glaring angrily at another car cutting through traffic as well as appear to cry, laugh, wink, or just look around.

The inventors explain in the patent that they want drivers to have more than a one-note horn and on-off headlights to signal other drivers. The horn sounds the same, they write, whether a driver is "asking for permission to cut in front and in showing gratitude for having been allowed to cut in front," so other people often do not know what the honking is about.

That was not good enough for the inventors - Kenji Mori, Naoto Kitagawa, Akihiro Inukai and Simon Humprhies - who work for Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha of Japan, which owns the United States patent issued last month. In it they describe a car with an antenna that wags, an adjustable body height, headlights that vary in intensity, and hood slits and ornamentation designed to look like eyebrows, eyelids and tears, all of which could glow with colored lights to create moods and physical features.

The inventors believe these features on cars will make driving more entertaining. In the patent they write that "as traffic grows heavier and vehicle use increases, vehicles having expression functions, such as crying and laughing, like people and other animals do, could create a joyful, organic atmosphere rather than the simple comings and goings of inorganic vehicles."

"Such emotive, organic vehicles could also lead occupants to have great affinity for their vehicles, and make the driving experience more comfortable," the inventors add.

The car comes with a computer and software system that detects road and vehicle conditions like steering angle, braking or speed. Drivers or passengers can also enter information about their moods into the system. But it is the car that expresses an emotional reaction.

"The headlights, antenna and windshield and exterior panels can be regarded as the vehicle's eyes, tail and a body surface," the inventors write. As a baseline, they describe a "sleeping" car as one with "the shutters, or eyes, closed, the antenna limp and the glass and exterior panel are a dark color and the vehicle height is lowered."

An "awake" car would have "open shutters, headlights fringed with complementary 'eyebrows,' an erect antenna and brighter glass and exterior panels."

Eyebrows and eyelids would be created by lights appearing above the headlights, and a "tear" would be displayed by another light installed below the headlights. The patent says any of the lights can remain on for a period of time, blink on and off, or fade from bright to faint. The eyelids can close in any direction - top to bottom, bottom to top and diagonally. The eyebrow shape can change, and the brows, lids and tears can be featured in different colors, the patent says.

Data on the state of the car, the road and the driver is collected and stored in the car's computer, which attributes points to certain factors - like "the occupant reacts to reckless cutting in," or speed, handling angle or brake pressure - that might contribute to an angry response. When a sufficient number of points are accumulated to indicate anger, the computer's software will trigger a reaction in the car's appearance.

"The state of angry will be changed either over time or in response to soothing input supplied by the occupants," the patent says. "When the number of points is reduced below the threshold value, the vehicle no longer shows angry."

The patent includes a chart that shows how the car might display a number of emotions. It shows categories that correlate driver reaction, road or car condition to color and position of features like the "eyebrow," the antenna, the headlights and the vehicle height.

For anger, the hood lighting color glows red while the eyebrow lights up and the headlights, antenna and height are in standard position.

But if the driver is joyful, the car may "wink" to let another car go first by changing the hood lighting and the eyebrow to orange, shading the headlight so it appears half-closed and causing the antenna to vibrate from left to right as if it were wagging.

The chart also indicates that a car with mechanical trouble might "cry" by displaying dark blue hood lighting, a shaded headlight, a lit eyebrow and a blinking "tear" light.

And if the "sudden appearance of a vehicle or pedestrian causes sudden braking," the car will express surprise by having its hood lights turn orange, its eyebrows light up red, the headlights shaded and the vehicle height lowered in the rear.

The patent says the inventors chose the colors, shadings and positions "in consideration of human psychology." It explains that "some reactions may be expressed using warm colors," and cites orange as appropriate for winking, feeling fine or looking around, and red as the right choice for anger or surprise.

"Meanwhile, some other reactions such as sad, crying, fearful and so forth may be expressed using cold colors," like green or blue, the patent says.

The inventors also say their idea, which was awarded Patent No. 6,575,593, is not just for cars. They note it could also be used with motorcycles, ships or aircraft."

Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version Name: car.bmp.jpg Views: 171 Size: 29.5 KB ID: 9349 Click image for larger version Name: Herbie.bmp.jpg Views: 167 Size: 75.3 KB ID: 9350

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    not my cup of tea.

pero yung sa kakilala ko na gumagamit (civic 98), his purpose is to reduce upward glare daw.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    hi v6dreamer,

where did you get or buy that pre molded polymer? thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
question about eyelids