New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Does driving in really low rpm help in reducing the consumption of gasoline? I've been driving like this for sometime now, mostly reving it at less than 2000rpm. I even run 40kph already at 4th gear. Im driving an 11-year old civic and am afraid that what im doing will cause damage to the engine/transmission/etc. At, kunyari maluwag yung road, tipong bumubwelo ako ng speed, then drop the gear to neutral, para hindi laging nakatapak sa silinyador.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If the car's having a hard time, you're hurting the engine.

Yes, driving at low rpms will help save gas, but if you're "lugging" the engine, it'll lead to accelerated wear and tear.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

agree.. pero if your coasting on the highway, better FC if you're close to "engine idle speed" thats the secret. now gearing will determine your cruising speed.

most gas cars * 5th gear * 1500-2000 rpm thats 60-80 kmh

focus diesel coasts * 90kph * 1800-2000 rpm

kung country road or city driving, anticipation is the key factor in order to get a good FC

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wang View Post
    kunyari maluwag yung road, tipong bumubwelo ako ng speed, then drop the gear to neutral, para hindi laging nakatapak sa silinyador.
    going on a steady pace will save gas rather than speeding up then going neutral.

what i do sa highway is a steady pace to 100 km/h then go neutral kung lapit na ko sa exit ko... approx 300 meters (sa sign ako nagbabase)

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    I think that the best way is to rev moderately meaning not too low or excessively high like doing jack rabbit starts.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    It's all about gearing....

If your car is geared for economy (as in a manual trans) then the 5th or 6th gear would drop the engine speed down close to idle when cruising. But when you're in city driving you'll need a smaller gear ratio so your engine can transfer its power easily to the rear wheels. Otherwise, as Niky said you'll be lugging the engine, which is both mechanically inefficient (wastes fuel) and wears the parts more than it should.

Just get a feel for it, usually it's at the point when minimal accelerator input leads to "just enough" acceleration. If the same accelerator input makes it feel it needs more power, then you're lugging the engine. Same with the opposite, but you're racing the engine that time. So find the sweet spot and use that combination as soon and as often as possible, to save on fuel. Gentle acceleration lang ha, when I say as soon as possible, baka naman you "race" to that speed then switch to cruise mode. Sayang lang tinipid mo if you race to that speed...

Hope that clears it up a bit

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    at 5th gear maintain speed of 60kph to 80kph max shifting below 2000rpm (1500 - 1800 rpm) is also good especially if you are not hauling cargo or carrying peeps.. sure you will have lower FC.. eventhough you maintain speed of 100kph - 120kph bottomline is still you will get to your destination no matter how fast you drive... it is because at the end of the road, all of you will be caught at the same TRAFFIC...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    going on a steady pace will save gas rather than speeding up then going neutral.

what i do sa highway is a steady pace to 100 km/h then go neutral kung lapit na ko sa exit ko... approx 300 meters (sa sign ako nagbabase)
    Contrary to popular belief... "hyper milers" do speed averaging and get better fuel mileage than steady speed. Example, if you want to go an average of 70kph, you speed up to 80kph then go into neutral and coast your car until it reaches 50/55kph then slowly speed up again to 80kph.

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Avoid gunning your engine and anticipate braking on city driving. This principle also apply on highway driving.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Went to Angeles City (Friendship H-way Cut-cut) and Clark Airbase Pampanga last Monday with 700 pesos of gas (Caltex Gold). With an average speed of 80 to 90 kph (1500 - 2000 rpm) at NLEX plus the city driving, I was able to run a total of 205 kms approximately.

Low-rev driving really improves FC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Low-rev driving