New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    kaya super tipid ang diesel eh talagang low rev kasi.

as mb said "feel it" different cars differ in terms of gearing. also as niky said, as long as you're "not lugging" the engine it's good. in your case with a civic, ramdam mo naman kung hanggan saang RPM siya magaan for each gear. then dun ka mag stick if you're into tipid mode.

anticipation lalo na dito sa city is needed, sabi nga ni a_y kaya napakaraming factors. lahat dito damay aside sa FC. (brake pads, tire, suspension wear etc)

but it's alway good to give your engine some kick pa minsan minsan para di naman magtampo in case kailanganin mo

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I've read somewhere that Hondas are designed for high-rev driving.. Mas efficient daw.. Any truth to this?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    quick question! doesn't this driving style will make your engine used to it...so when you try to push your engine once in a while...it will not give you the power you want?...or is that just a myth?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Not true at all... Any cars would be more fuel efficient on low revving. Mas efficient in passing annoying buses and jeeps and mga Evulok (mga itlog and pizza Lancer na feeling Evolution) by having the VTEC kick, then that's true

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iho250 View Post
    quick question! doesn't this driving style will make your engine used to it...so when you try to push your engine once in a while...it will not give you the power you want?...or is that just a myth?
    Its just a myth for me. I don't know, most of the time I rev low in general but sometimes I rev it to 5.5K and no problem naman....

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    I got the same car and the same concerns what with the insane price of gas these days.

If you bother to look at the car's manual (most people never do), the recommended shift points for every gear is outlined that strikes a nice balance between fuel economy and ability to accelerate.

99 vti = 40-65kph is 3rd gear's playpen. The engine doesn't seem to lug at 1.5K RPM (acceleration is totally dull though) but following what Honda put in the book , the tach needle lands at 1.8-2K RPM at the start of every upshift.

In fact that's the magical point where wheel speed and engine speed is in delicate balance that you can shift without the clutch! ^_^ the engine doesn't drive the wheels nor does the wheels drive the engine (i.e. engine brake.) And in that small window you can knock the gear off (lever would feel soft) or put it in (w/o any grinding.) It's fun to strive to know one's car =)

I'm not recommending clutchless shifting of course, i'm just saying that
    the numbers honda put in the book are the 'natural' shift points and my experience confirms that.

I've always logged my FC in a notebook i keep in the glovebox (refilling to full tank, 30 liters minimum everytime for better accuracy) i average 12.4kms/Li. Best run was 13.7, worst run was 10.5 for this year.

HTH.

the best so far i had is 15km/l on a 2.0 car--- focus TDCi...test drive last MIAS.. nastandstill ako sa uniwide area!

now kung straight madaling araw drive to the province, i could estimate na siguro i could match prius's FC...

now gusto ko if the same could be applied on a bigger navara / G.starex...now sinu kaya mahihiraman?

edit: wag na nyu tanung fc ng car ko kasi: inconceivable..masakit sa ulo isipin
    Last edited by alwayz_yummy; June 18th, 2008 at 09:14 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Actually if you drive an old car and you drive it like that (really gently) for a long time (months/years/etc) then the car will get used to it and once you floor it in case you need to, hirap siya. Why? Because if you take it easy like driving it at low RPM's the exhaust gas temperatures don't really peak that much so the carbon deposits increase which will restrict your car's performance. That's why when you take that same car on a sustained high speed run there's a good chance it might bog down.

In fact, some modern cars today have a learning curve - during the first times you drive it your habits are "observed" (for the lack of a better term) and the car adapts itself to your driving style.

Most normal and common cars are modern enough today that you can drive it without worrying too much about it bogging down if you stretch it on the open road, but on old cars they will need some "reconditioning" or an "Italian tune up" once in a while - which is typically running at sustained high engine and vehicle speeds to get the oil running hot in the engine and protecting it nicely, while at the same time getting the EGT's up and burning excess carbon build up. To add to that, driving it gently like a grocery getter or in stop and go traffic is really bad for the car because of the frequent stop and go.

That's why when cars are advertised as "lady driven" or "grandma driven" or something they usually were driven very gently so they'll need to be exercised to get them up to snuff.

Just from my experience ...
    Last edited by mbeige; June 18th, 2008 at 09:14 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by S!mpLy~2CooL4U View Post
    I've read somewhere that Hondas are designed for high-rev driving.. Mas efficient daw.. Any truth to this?
    maybe you read some parts wrong? Hondas power are best in high-rev, the high end curves. but it doesn't mean you can save fuel there.

the crucial gas saving part is in the standing start. think of it as you yourself is pushing the car with your own strength. yung pinaka hard part is yung pushing it from a stop. but when the car starts to move, you only need a little effort as long as you maintain a good momentum.

a tip from a tsikoteer, that I saved. a very well explanation.

Most M/T drivers think that shifting very quickly is the best way to save fuel. I used to be one of them, wondering why I simply cannot get great fuel numbers. I just realized that as I shift from one gear to another, I tend to step on the pedal deeper. This means that the throttle is opened wider, which means more fuel consumption.

The rule of thumb in driving efficiently is to step on the pedal as if there were bits of broken glass on it such that if you step hard, it will be painful. From my experience, I learned that I should only shift if I can afford to step on the pedal very lightly. In that manner I got better mileage.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    When I go economy mode. I drive between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM. Shift up at 2,000, shift down if the tach will go less than 1,200. Pero kung maluwag ang daan tapos economy mode, 5'th gear, 80 Kph. RPM is at 3,000.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Low-rev driving