New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    All gasoline being sold today are all unleaded. Lead being used before offer better combustion but comes with a health hazard. Long-term exposure will lead to neurological deficits esp. in children.

What the manufacturers do is to put in additives to make more efficient burning of the fuel. This makes up the varieties we had at the pumps.

Personally experienced ko lang, I found out that 93 RON unleaded madaling maubos so I shift to the higher 95 RON (Petron XCS, Caltex Gold). Recently, when my dad used the other car of similar make, and put in V-power matipid daw but it was basically on long highway driving.
    Hindi kaya psychological lang yan... I am actaully confused since some would say that addt'l higher octane is beneficial only on long drives (highways) but would merely mean burning money in city driving...Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts...

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Psychological?

The previous generation EFI engines like in the old bigbody Corollas are programmed to be more fuel efficient at around 80kph which is easily achieved at highway speeds.

The current VVTi technology supposedly take the economy thing to a much higher level by having the fuel-fed adjusted even at low rpms.

I remember Niky (a very knowledgeable Tsikoteer here) explained the mechanics in easy to understand and in simple terms in one of the threads here --if i'm not mistaken its was "war of the engine displacement" which I am the TS.

check it out.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    Psychological?

The previous generation EFI engines like in the old bigbody Corollas are programmed to be more fuel efficient at around 80kph which is easily achieved at highway speeds.

The current VVTi technology supposedly take the economy thing to a much higher level by having the fuel-fed adjusted even at low rpms.

I remember Niky (a very knowledgeable Tsikoteer here) explained the mechanics in easy to understand and in simple terms in one of the threads here --if i'm not mistaken its was "war of the engine displacement" which I am the TS.

check it out.
    Thanks for the info...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It all depends on engine programming and type.

Carburated engines cannot adjust for octane, but the age of the engines means that carbon deposits can have built up over time. High octane fuels have additives that can help clean out these deposits and promote smoother running.

EFI engines use electronic metering, meaning that they should inject precisely enough fuel for the amount of air coming into the engine, as long as the air meters are working properly. These are programmed for specific grades of fuel, though... some will run better on 95, some will run better on 92. This is because of the way they are programmed. Many mid-90's japanese cars are optimized for 95 octane, but they will accept lower octane with no damage.

Newer EFI engines with O2 sensors can adjust even better to different gasolines, and will run leaner at cruising, promoting better fuel economy on the highway. They will also have electronic ignition systems which can vary spark timing to take advantage of higher octane (spark occurs earlier as high octane is resistant to detonation... equates to more power) or adapt to lower octane (spark occurs later, less power, but safer).

These engines can run on lower or higher octane fuels than specified in the manual, but there's a limit to adaptability. If it doesn't feel like it likes the gas, use a different one. Some manufacturers will also specify what particular brands of fuel are proper for their cars, as some newer cars are very sensitive to fuel quality.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hey, here is is:http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52836. Check post #16.

Sorry have to edit. Nasagot kaagad ni Niky....
    Last edited by Gerbo; January 3rd, 2009 at 03:06 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    same experience here...yung xtra unleaded ng petron eh parang mas madaling maubos hindi katulad ng petron blaze...kaya sa ngaun lagi na akong blaze...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by j_avonni View Post
    I don't think it's misleading since I believe all gasoline being sold here are all unleaded. It's a matter of branding to distinguish the source and grade/RON. Unleaded is the generic name. Just familiarize with the brand names.

93 RON
    Petron Xtra Unleaded
    Caltex Silver
    Shell Super Unleaded
    (take note Caltex doesn't mention unleaded)

95 RON
    Petron XCS
    Caltex Gold
    Shell Super Premium

96 RON
    Petron Blaze
    Shell V-Power

DIESEL
    Shell Diesoline Ultra
    Petron Diesel Max
    Caltex Power Diesel

:yawn: [SIZE=1]4013[/SIZE]
    Correction lang bro J_A

shell super premium has only 93RON same as unleaded and V-power has an octane rating of only 95.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    buhayin ko lang tong thread...

about shell premium unleaded its 93 octane nga based on pump sticker... so what's the difference from e10 unleaded since both are unleaded??

been using xcs for about a year na. yesterday i had to fill up at shell since malapit na empty and shell was the only one near. filled up with super primium. and parang mas maganda takbo ng makina. maspino at mas malakas hatak...compared to when i was using xcs .

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    another question pala: napansin ko noon pakalat pa lang ang e10 sa phil market ah. nung naging e10 na ang xtra unleaded ng petron, it have a 95 O.R. on its pumps, ngayon laganap na e10, bakit bumalik ng 93 O.R.?

and tama si sir impulzz, bakit pareho lang ng ocatne rating ang shell super unleaded and super premium? anu pa pinagkaiba nila?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aejhayl17 View Post
    another question pala: napansin ko noon pakalat pa lang ang e10 sa phil market ah. nung naging e10 na ang xtra unleaded ng petron, it have a 95 O.R. on its pumps, ngayon laganap na e10, bakit bumalik ng 93 O.R.?

and tama si sir impulzz, bakit pareho lang ng ocatne rating ang shell super unleaded and super premium? anu pa pinagkaiba nila?
    Octane ratings can change depending on testing and inspection by the DOE (remember when Petron claimed Blaze was 97-98?) and depending on additives and fuel composition. All of our fuels have the same base stock. It's the additives that determine their final octane rating.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Unleaded Fuel???