New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedmorehp
    Gawa kaya new thread ng mga best and worst gas station? Or meron na neto?
    meron na ata, search mo nalang.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    Time and time again... this has been proven to be a myth (including people working for fuel companies).

Generally, only high compression engines need high octane fuel. And, believe it or not - low octane fuel has a higher energy content than its high octane counterpart.
    could you pls elaborate more on this subject? its quite interesting...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I think Car and Driver did one test (not sure, could've been someone else), they tested an Accord, a V8 or two, an M3 and another car. Only the M3 gained any appreciable power from high octane, the Accord and the others were relatively indifferent to it.

It's the tuning of the car that mandates octane... but with most of the cars we get here, higher octane gives slightly better performance, as the car's ECU detunes the engine slightly when it detects crappy gas... and we have lots of crappy gas around here. Note that our 92 Oct Unleaded is 89 Oct in the US. Our 95-97 is equivalent to US 92-93. Add the fact that there's water in a lot of the tanks...

Lower octane may have a higher energy density, but it doesn't allow you to run the timing advances and engine speeds needed for good performance out of small engines. Big ones can make lots of power off of low octane, but Japanese sports cars generally need higher octane because of their lower displacement.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    niky: i think i have that motor trend issue, nagkaproblem sila sa pag dyno ng m3 coz di pwede idyno yung m3 without some sort of a large fan sa harap coz the sensors of the m3 requires a certain airflow flowing through the radiator that matches the speed of the wheels... nagretard ng nagretard yung timing hehe.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Tama nga... Motor Trend pala yun.

Yup, it's almost impossible to dyno new M3s and M5s due to that retarded retardation setting. :lol:

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    Economy improvements vary on a case-to-case basis. Also, you would hardly get to notice any changes if you switch from one fuel to another, because different gasolines will tend to mix up. Try sticking to one particular gasoline for at least a week, then top up with another kind, and so on. Finally, settle for the one you find the best.
    Yes, I did that. When infact not only a week but a month. I waited until my fuel tank is empty (warning light on) and gas up different gasoline type at full tank. I tried to do this twice in each type to be sure that they are not mixed up with other brands/type. Finally I settled on Petron Xtra after several tests with other brands.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Petron Xtra it is. Enjoy your motoring!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    sobrang old thread na pala ito.. buti nakita ko pa.. i was about to start a new thread sana.. long story, i think i busted a myth about higher octane rating.. on my RD1 (CRV Gen1), purely XCS 95RON ako due to the notion that it gives me more power.. out of curiousity, i tried refilling w/ Xtra Unleaded 93RON --wow! for a 1 week now, i could really say, my engine runs smoother and quiter (considering im using a chambered muffler that's bit noisy at 3k RPM).. the same power i think. and what i really like best now is the reduced engine noise.. (note: no tune-ups or whatsoever involved in between the fuel octane rating switch).

9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ano ba ung 95 octane ng shell ngaun?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ano po ba ang 95 octane na unleaded ng shell? kasi ang petron ung xcs, ang caltex ay gold, ang unioil 93octane lng ata na unleaded..please advice,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Unleaded 95 Octane