New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Tesla's testing the CCS chargers thats being standardized in EU. That means that at the very least therw would be charging stations that use common charging plugs. Thats a good step towards EV infrastructure.

Germany automakers plan to build their own charging infrastructure too with their own proprietary plug to acommodate faster than supercharger speeds. I hope it all get standardized to a common shared platform just like with microUSB in smartphones.

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    TS is kags.
    'nuff said.
    heh heh.

doc sa tagal ko sa tsikot with my other username before eh im the only na broadcast ang pag-ayaw ko sa desel. Pinagtawanan lang ako dati, practical daw desel. Pero tingnan mo nangyayari ngayon. Bumigay na mga europeans ayaw na desel.

And maganda ito ginawa ko thread. Bigla napapost yung mga hindi gaano active sa tsikot pero knowlegeable pala sa electric vehicle /tesla.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by leoblack9 View Post
    Tesla's testing the CCS chargers thats being standardized in EU. That means that at the very least therw would be charging stations that use common charging plugs. Thats a good step towards EV infrastructure.

Germany automakers plan to build their own charging infrastructure too with their own proprietary plug to acommodate faster than supercharger speeds. I hope it all get standardized to a common shared platform just like with microUSB in smartphones.

Why not make the car solar powered?

Sent from my SM-G532G using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    Why not make the car solar powered?

Solar panels are not very efficient at the moment.. I've read that it converts around 10% of the sunlight to energy, thus wouldn't be enough to charge the car while in operation.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ^right (its ugly to have solar panels on your car)..charging is a huge problem for the electric car

Charging it aint gonna be a breeze..unlike filling a gas (takes a few minutes)..time is gold

Electricity required to fuel the electric cars battery in the philippines comes from bunker fuel (majority of the power plants)..so it aint that clean

Carbon footprint on creating batteries and assembling electric cars arent that low

Batteries dont last forever..once its serviceable life is over we dump it..industrial wastes of a battery are potential environmental risk..so how can it be better for the environment

Last edited by kisshmet; February 17th, 2019 at 05:21 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Charging it aint gonna be a breeze..unlike filling a gas (takes a few minutes)..time is gold

Actually, I saw a YouTube video of a Tesla owner. While his car was under repair, they gave him a service car (petrol)

He said, the biggest adjustment he had going back to petrol is that you need to fill up the car with gas... With an electric car, it's like the car has a full tank every morning

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015

8. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    ^right (its ugly to have solar panels on your car)..charging is a huge problem for the electric car

A long range Model 3 has rated 500km distance at full charge, chicken na yan dito sa Metro manila for any medium distance trip. Plus as Ice15 said, nakacharge naman yung EV mo kung may garahe ka, so may full tank ka every morning. Problem lang siya sa mga walang garahe (sana matupad na no car no garage bill hehe).

For long distance trips however.. Tesla has superchargers, 400V, charges the car upto 80% in under 30minutes. Porsche is developing 800V chargers for their Mission E / Taycan EV, which is half than that.

With Germany's Porsche / VW going dead serious with developing a EV that could outclass the Tesla, we will get there sooner than we think.

Electricity required to fuel the electric cars battery in the philippines comes from bunker fuel (majority of the power plants)..so it aint that clean

Carbon footprint on creating batteries and assembling electric cars arent that low
    Battery costs are going down everyday, and Lithium as a resource could be mined from brine.. which is basically seawater.

Also, carbon footprint could be categorized in two ways as EngineeringExplained explained: 1 is the production of the vehicle (as you've said) and the carbon footprint of the vehicle in operation. EE explained that even from a dirty power source (citing Virginia which sources its power from coal plants), a smaller EV should have a smaller carbon footprint after 5 years compared to an ICE car.

Besides, in an ethical standpoint. Its better to have an EV on the road than more smoke belching vehicles.

Batteries dont last forever..once its serviceable life is over we dump it..industrial wastes of a battery are potential environmental risk..so how can it be better for the environment
    Again, myth. Old batteries are torn down then rebuilt or repurposed for other storage uses.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Another significant thing is the rate of battery degradation. For example, the Tesla Model S battery is able to retain 80% capacity after 500k miles of driving. Now that's pretty impressive.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by madball View Post
    Another significant thing is the rate of battery degradation. For example, the Tesla Model S battery is able to retain 80% capacity after 500k miles of driving. Now that's pretty impressive.
    That's the main advantage of Tesla, they designed their cars around their battery. The 18650 batteries in the S and X are easy to produce in bulk. The 2170 batteries in the 3 is 30-40% denser in terms of energy compared to the 18650.

Only the German automakers have plans to build their own battery factories, and until then don't hold your breath that much for another competitor in the horizon.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Opinion: Tesla will overrun traditional car companies because they still aren’t moving fast enough