New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Ever thought about the low mileage cars for sale. Most of them you'd see in used car lots.

I don't understand how these people (sellers) can look at you with a straight face and without a flinch say it only has 30-40-50thou kilometers.

just take a quick glance at regular cars parked allover.. mga miles nila nearing the hundreds... obviously, the used cars' odometer's are tampered. and of course, i know of a few owners with real low miles too.

what's your opinion?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    oo meron tampered, pero depende yan sa seller (if manloloko)... and buyer (if maloloko)

i got my car at 19TKm only eventhough 26 months na sya. how did i find out na di sya tampered? the seller asked me to check the car from place of residence. i saw 2 other cars there which really established that the car i was looking at is used primarily on coding days, explaining the low mileage.

it is really worth it to check out the seller, and buy from DIRECT sellers. and, lastly - buy from another tsikoteer :lol:

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    it pays to check the car's history.

If a car spent most of its time mired in Manila's traffic, wouldn't the mileage be pretty low? If you check the mileage of some car owners in that "How many km/miles do you have in your car" thread, some of them have pretty low odometer readings even for an old car.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    some low mileage cars are honest low mileage cars simply because they were only used during "coding" days (used one day a week). Others are because the car was bought for their kid to drive to college which is only a few kilometers away.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Yes, be careful of sellers who tamper the odometers of the cars they are selling.

I knew once of a seller who could not immediately sell a 4 year old ride because it already had more than 100k km already. They eventually got to sell it quickly (w/in the day of their re-advertisement) after they somehow tampered the digital odometer to read just around 40k km that time.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    there should be other factors to look at aside from just the odometer....

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    For us, we had this car that was used for short distance travel. Since new, the car covers around 7 kms only per day, 6x per week. This went on for 9 yrs and four months or so of use, by which it has logged 22,xxx kms then. Now it is used for more often since Feb 2006, so its mileage is now 26,xxx kms.

Our other car was used more extensively for the first year and half of its life. Going from Manila to Mamplasan Laguna everyday for 4x times a week. It managed to log 15,xxx kms before it was used on shorter routes. Now after 7 yrs since the 15,xxx kms mark, it just has 24,xxx kms.

Bottomline: Not all low mileage vehicles being sold, have tampered odometers.

Btw, is there a way to tell if the odometer has been tampered with, for both electronic and old dial gauge type?

8. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    present vehicles
    2000 starex 28,780 mlge(ready to go when grand starex will be avail)
    1998 crv 40,300 mlge
    2006 fortuner 2,008 mlge

solded previous owned
    94 lancer 26,000 mlge solded 1999
    98 civic 19,000 mlge solded 2003
    97 pjero 40,000 mlge solded 2004

know many buy and sell person are adjusting the mileage to sold it quickly
    banawe is just a block away from our house before

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    It's really better if you can talk to the owner.

They can give you more realistic reasons on why the lower mileage...e.g. lots of cars parked in his garage.

My boss have so many vehicles, his 10-year old cars haven't reached 20,000 kms yet.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    yeah. we did that one time with a ford. hehe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Low Mileage Cars for Sale... tampered or not?