http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jm/goodvsbad.htm

Worth reading just for this quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Jil McIntosh
"Green auto" celebrities - When the Prius first came out, it was hard to get one; most of them were going to celebrities, who made sure they were seen in these socially- and environmentally-conscious vehicles. And now they're falling over themselves to be the first in flexible-fuel and hydrogen and electric and solar cars. Give it a rest, folks. You're no holier than the rest of us. Sure, George Clooney in a Prius saves more fuel than George Clooney in an Escalade. There's no question that these technologies can use fewer resources than conventional vehicles. But have you seen most celebrities' houses? Judging by magazine photos, the majority of them live in huge, air-conditioned mansions, with swimming pools, manicured lawns, guest houses and lush gardens, many of them in the desert.

My house is about 900 square feet. I don't have air conditioning, I don't have a pool, I never water my lawn, I don't use pesticides, and my water comes out of a well in the back yard, instead of being diverted from Colorado to California. Yes, my own vehicle is a full-size V8-powered pickup truck. But overall, I'd say that what I burn in gasoline in a year is less than the energy George spends to air-condition his house and heat his pool for a month. Frankly, I think we're more than even.
Bwahahaha!!!!