New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    ako the only thing I enjoy about diesel is nde nako kina-cut ng pampasaherong jeepney lalo na pag ni-rev ko makina para d makalusot hehehe, kala nila jeep din eh busy sila magtingin ng pasahero at gamit lang tainga pag naliko.

I really welcome the increase in diesel per liter d2 sa P'nas even to the point na
    sana mag-mahal pa diesel kaysa gas. In that way, you dont have to force phase-out
    all PUV's, mabilis pa sa alas kwatro mag-dispatsa ng pampasahero sasakyan na nde
    naman efficiently nagamit sa daan everyday.

regarding fuel consumption, pareho lang sa tingin ko kung comfort driving ang pag-uusapan. makatipid ka man ng 1.5K-2k a month while driving a diesel SUV over a gas SUV. okey na din yun 1.5-2k addl. monthly expense for the stress free, silent, smooth driving para sakin. that's the trade off. and who knows bec. of that smooth driving, you'll earn more
    coz of your productivity * work.
    Last edited by oldblue; July 31st, 2005 at 04:38 AM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    sa diesel ako!!!! malakas humatak!!!! mga jeepney nga nakaka survive sa maintenance cost ng diesel engine tayo pa kaya!!!!

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    With the Jeepney's diesel engine sound (parang galit) trying to overtake you. you tend to move over. because you tought there might be a HUGE truck trying to overtake you.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex
    sir with all due respect, i'm referring to the fuel consumption of the two (that is "apple" and "orange" to you). of course there is no comparisson, but as the thread starter was asking, which of the two was more efficient. but as a basis as this thread as concerned, the mention of such is necessary to point out the view of other posters. in my case, i have the advantage of having to say my opinion on which is much better for me. if it concerns you, my point is, i took the on power-to-weight ratio vs. efficiency as my basis of comparisson of the two.

"the initial cost of acquisition?" i beg your pardon what do mean by this? is it the pump price of the fuel?

Just wanted to highlight the price difference between acquiring a 3.0l diesel against a 1.5l gas. Though it may be true that at times a 3.0l diesel engine may be more efficient than a 1.5l gas engine the efficiency savings will only make sense if you are a high mileage user. Presuming we are talking about brand new vehicles, this can translate to anywhere between 400K to more than a million depending on which vehicle. Not trying to disagree with you, just wanted to present things another way. Cheers.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSter
    it's not a question of whats the better type of engine...
    it's a m atter of choosing an engine type that is SUITABLE FOR YOUR LIFESTYLE.
    Rightly said. It all depends on the driver. Boy racers wouldn't really like diesels bbecause of the slow pick up and the higher revs. Driver who are aggressive and have a heavy right foot tend to guzzle up more diesel than their gasoline counterpart. Our driver who has a heavy right foot does only 5-6km/L in a 2001 intercooler diesel starex. while on a previous 1999 2.5L gasoline starex club he was doing around 6-7km/L. We changed our previous gas starex thinking that the newer diesel starex would be more economical but we were wrong. It all depend on the driving style.

In Europe, diesel cars are more efficient than gas ones in bumper to bumper traffic, and even in highway motoring as long as the person drives reasonably.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    IMO ang accelerations ng diesel engines ngayon, iba na compared to engines dati. Parang gas engines na din ang acceleration ng diesel engines.

Parang yun thread na hp vs. torque

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelparadigm
    Well, i prefer NA gas engines because of the linearity of the power curve across the rpm range. Sa diesel kasi medyo kakapain mo pa yung tamang shifting point just to get the right feel of acceleration.
    ...hmmmm ... this may be the reason why jeepney driver's often rev their ride before shifting .... or maybe its a habit or maybe probs with their clutch? just a thought. hihihihi

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    No matter what other people say, I will stick to diesel engines. Having a gas engine is secondary. Everything really depends on where you're going to be using your vehicle.For example, if you're into fuel economy and into city driving only, pick a diesel with the "right driving attitude" or pick a 1.3L vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by andre
    diesel advantage - good fuel economy, even at idling (good for waiting), good torque, solid engine, cheaper fuel
    diesel disadvantage - noisier, vibrates more (compared to gas) , black & smelly smoke, more expensive to maintain
    I beg to disagree on the statement that diesel engines are more expensive to maintain. Gas engines have more parts that are replaced when the time does come. Sparkplugs are one example. :D For the disadvatages stated above it can still be compromised. for noiser, more vibrations, and black and smelly smoke - try checking an engine that's been running on Biodiesel especially the test vehicles that run on full tank biodiesels. I'm sure you'd reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelparadigm
    Well, i prefer NA gas engines because of the linearity of the power curve across the rpm range. Sa diesel kasi medyo kakapain mo pa yung tamang shifting point just to get the right feel of acceleration.
    Diesel engines were really designed in that manner. Higher torque at lower rpm. compared to a gas engine, the max torque is attained at higher rpms.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPrince
    ...hmmmm ... this may be the reason why jeepney driver's often rev their ride before shifting .... or maybe its a habit or maybe probs with their clutch? just a thought. hihihihi
    mas madali pumasok ang kambyo kapag double clutch ka when shifting sa jeep namin experience ko lang!!!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger
    Hyundai claims that the Matrix can do 24km/li. hi-way and 14km/li city (is this really attainable in real-world conditions?)
    ?
    It is possible to get the mid to high figure but one must learn to drive it with the intend on conserving fuel!. I have driven the Matrix CDRi and it is difficult to get used to the power band and the rapid rpm climb. You really need to shift quick and its lousy shifter does not help any. Boost comes early and strong, so 3000 rpm to 4500 rpm goes real quick!. It is too easy to drive this recklessly and burn lots of fuel doing so.

I am sure , over time a determined driver can master the art of driving this car correctly to squeeze an easy 20km/l out of it. Most people having used to gas engines, tend not to understand and respect the way a diesel engine behaves.

The method of driving needs to change drastically and for one person driving several different cars a week, this is a difficult thing to do. Even myself sometime drives my Vios like my BMWs.... torque steer from front-wheel drives are very scary. In the wet , its frightening!.

So, we must *re-programme our minds* properly to handle diesel. If that is the only car you have, then I am sure over time, one can master it. Keep watching how the real experienced drivers do it.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
GAS or DIESEL [Merged]