New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    TIPS!

o ano, kala nyo bebentahan ko kayo hehehe! FREE po ito, walang bayad at guaranteed it will save you lotsalotsa gasoline and diesel.

no cost

no gadgets

no misleading salestalk

and most important of all, no lies!

simple lang naman, want to increase your mileage? here's what to do:

1. KEEP YOUR CAR WELL MAINTAINED. a well maintained engine and tranny is an efficient engine and tranny.

2. KEEP YOUR TYRES AT THE RECOMMENDED PRESSURE. underinflated tyres lead to fuel wastage.

3. KEEP A LIGHT FOOT. pushing that gas pedal to the metal is wasteful. the best way to drive is to accelerate slowly, taking into consideration the torque and power curve of your engine. driving at the most economical engine speeds works best (between 2000 to 3000 rpm for most vehicles) .

4. ANTICIPATE! if the road ahead is full, if the traffic light just turned yellow, then there is no use driving fast is there? take your foot off the gas pedal and just coast to a stop. what i do when i see that i have to stop (because of a traffic light, heavy stagnant traffic, etc) is i let go of the gas BUT i almost do not step on the brake either. i calculate the distance the car can still go and by the time i stop i had hardly stepped on the brakes. therefore i do not have to step on the gas pedal again to move forward more if need be. not only do i save on gas, i save the brake pads as well.

now if you step on that gas pedal all the time with a heavy foot, then wait for the last 50 meters to let go then step hard on the brakes, well your mileage won't go double figures i guarantee that, kahit na 1.3 pa kotse mo.

5. PLAN YOUR TRIPS. buy a map for that matter. try to know alternate routes so that if there is heavy traffic ahead you can pass somewhere else where you don't have to crawl and waste precious gasoline. also, try to beat the traffic by either getting on the road before the rest of the world do, or let them all pass and go when the traffic has gone.

this is possibly the easiest way to save gas. i once went to malasiqui pangasinan (240 km distance) at 3 in the morning. no traffic, my estimated mileage was more than 17.5 km/l (full tank in manila, traveled 240 km, then full tank again when i got there. simple km traveled divided by fuel added = km/liter.) but going back to manila (at 4 in the afternoon) we got caught up in traffic such that my mileage went down to an average of only 14 km/l round trip (that is why i do not consider that trip as one of my best). my personal best is 17.3 km/l highway (manila-baguio-manila, 4 adults and 1 baby plus 1 week of luggage), 12.5 km/l city on a 2002 lancer mx.

do you know that you can go from sm megamall to sm city north edsa in less than 4 minutes at 11 am on a weekday? average speed, 120 kph, gas usage of less than 5 teaspoon of 95 ron. (ok! ok! i exagerate a bit!)

6. USE THE RECOMMENDED FUEL. some people think that using lower grade fuel is saving money. not so. if your car is designed to take 95 ron, it will not operate as well and as efficient on 93 ron, especially if your car has efi. the computer will just adjust the spark timing and amount of gas to compensate, so you actually use more gas. a few centavos difference is not worth it if you car is using 5-10% more fuel in return.

it also pays to experiment. some cars run well with one brand of fuel, others on other brands.

7. GET RID OF UNNECESSARY CARGO. check your trunk. do you really need to keep that golf set in there everyday? i know of some people who go around metro manila with an air pump, booster battery set, big alligator hydraulic jacks, chains (for towing?). if you will be just going to the office, why take along something that is really for long trips?

even on long trips, some people buy a week's grocery with them then travel 200 kilometers with 30 kilos of nachos and beer in the trunk. pwede naman bumili dun sa pupuntahan pero sa manila pa bibili ng baon. haaay! help the "local" economy hoy! local tourism does not work if you will buy all your baon in manila!

o, sino pa gustong mag-add. share nyo fuel saving tips nyo dito. FREE ha walang bayad at gulpihin ko kayo pag nagpabayad kayo hehehe!

we don't need miracles, we need practical solutions!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Magaling. Nasabi mo na lahat. Wala na akong maisip. Except the obvious: take public transport.

Carpooling sounds good. Malamang maraming sasakyan na driver lang ang sakay araw-araw mula bahay pauntang opisina tapos balik ng bahay. 9 hours naman sa opisina, di naman umaalis yung sasakyan. So he doesn't really need the car everyday.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    promote the introduction of hybrid vehicles like gas-electric or alternative fuel systems like bio-diesel or hydrogen fuel.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Yebo..Good work!

Pagbalik mo dito sa Pinas galing Qatar may gift ako sayo! Isang kahon ng Fuel-Saving Tips Leaflets..!! Pamigay mo sa mga friends mo..haha joke lang!

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Fill yung tunk 1/2 and up.
    Energy conserving lub may effect kaya?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Fully Synthetic Oil will save you some gas, but its high price might just offset the effect... but if you consider the decreased wear on the engine, it begins to make sense. :D

Some other stuff...

Sports-biased tires will eat away at your mileage, as the wider patch and grippier rubber will produce increased drag at the wheels. Good all-weather performance tires have less rolling resistance while still providing more grip than stock tires, and should be good for any situation short of an outright track race.

Think twice before buying mags. 17-inch mags look good, but they're heavy, and take more power (and lots more gas) to push around. Lightweight mags (1-pound per inch or less) will actually help with fuel consumption, but not if they're paired with extremely wide sports tires.

Body kits and external add-ons increase both weight and drag, thus increasing fuel consumption. Some OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) body kits actually decrease drag, but most are just for show.

A freezing cold aircon setting isn't always necessary. Turn it off when you don't need it, and keep it down when you do.

Think twice before taking that car out to go to the corner store for a snack. If you can walk there in 10 minutes or less, why not do so?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    165/80/13R 13mags, less rolling resistance pero baduy...for our typical sedan..

turn off unnessesary accesories especially for EFI's

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Michelin Energy are available at OEM sizes, but are hard to find in performance sizes, and offer less rolling resistance than most OEMs. Plus performance is just about good enough.

For those of us unwilling to sacrifice performance, keeping our tires inflated to over 30psi is a better idea, as we see about a 2-3% fuel saving by merely keeping the tires pumped up. At 28psi, rolling resistance is much greater than at 35psi. It's definitely a trade-off of comfort versus economy... personally 30-32 is my comfort zone, both performance and ride wise... anything below feels like it is dragging on the car.

Errh... make sure your tires are built for the pressure, though... and watch out for potholes on low-profile tires at high pressure... instant bukol.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    tama nga noh, i think it makes sense the wider and bigger the tires the more rolling resistance... i use a 225/50/R17 kya pag kinocompare ko sa cars with the same age and model as my car magkaiba ang km/liter always---dehado ako lagi (ang baba ng km/liter ko)kaso lng tradeoff talaga sa looks...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Makisabay sa kapit bahay... :D

Walang tatalo sa gas savings compared to hitting the road before everybody else does as Yebo pointed out... May time na late yung pasok ko and past midnight na ako nakakauwi, nagkakajump ng 2-4km/li ang average weekly consumption... Traffic sucks.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Fuel saving tips [merged threads]