New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    This is my comparison of 91 and 95 RON octane over several thousand kilometers of driving using both kinds of fuel:

1. Toyota Altis 1.6G MT
    91 RON - 10.96 km/L
    95 RON - 11.01 km/L

2. Toyota Vios 1.3E AT
    91 RON - 10.97 km/L
    95 RON - 10.35 km/L

The difference is so negligible that it boils down to traffic conditions and driving style more than the fuel you used.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Kung susundin si OB dapat 2 km/L improvement. No such difference in my real-world use.

Same with premium diesel and regular diesel and Euro IV diesel. Nabura ko lang yung records when I did a factory reset on my phone, but I registered no significant difference in FC whether I used FuelSave, V-Power Diesel, and Unioil Euro IV Diesel.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    ^^^ bro anong app ang gamit natin? TIA

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbon View Post
    ^^^ bro anong app ang gamit natin? TIA
    Road Trip bro for iOS. Sa Android I used to use aCar. [emoji5]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Martinez View Post
    bakit bro? i was half believing the master. i did a little subtraction kanina.
    There aren't any hard and fast rules when it comes to fuel consumption and octane rating.

For most cars, there's no difference whether you fill up with 91 RON or 95/97/100 RON fuel. If a car is designed to run with 91 RON, it will not develop more power or give better mileage by using higher octane fuels.

Even high-compression engines like Mazda's SkyActiv, when tuned to run on 91 RON, will run perfectly fine on 91 RON and will not get better efficiency from 95 RON.

Remember that a fuel's octane rating only signifies its resistance to knocking (premature ignition). It means that the fuel can withstand more compression before igniting, it does not mean that the fuel has more energy or is more efficient.

On cars that are designed for higher octanes, such as most sports cars, you will suffer a reduction in performance/economy when using fuels with lower octanes than what's specified in the manual. This is because the car's anti-knock sensor detects that the fuel ignites prematurely, and will adjust the ignition timing to prevent engine knocking. It results in sub-optimal conditions for the engine, resulting in decreased power, but this is better than continuous knocking which can lead to engine damage.

If you would notice, no oil company claims that their 95 RON fuel will generate more power or better economy than their 91 RON just because of the higher octane. Rather, all their claims are based on the fact that their premium fuels have better cleaning properties for your engine because of the higher detergency of the additives used in premium fuel compared to regular fuel. Additional power or improved economy are only potential offshoots of a cleaner engine.

However, no company discloses just how much cleaner your engine will be with V-Power/XCS/Excellium compared to FuelSave/Xtra Advance/Techron Silver. This is because the difference is mostly negligible and your engine's longevity won't suffer just because you use exclusively 91 RON.

Oil companies invest heavily on marketing their premium fuels simply because you pay several pesos more for it, even if the difference in product cost is just a few centavos.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    technically, a higher octane fuel has better FC because it burns smoother, therefore you accelerate better...
    on the tire pressure, ang tagtag nyan ah..... and the pressure is too high..... you risk blowouts if the interior temperature gets too high...
    for a 2.0 car, may recommended fuel octane yan.... normally, its the 95 RON. you can go lower, but the engine may detonate and rattle.

on tire pressure, just follow the recommended. nasa sticker yan sa may pinto. kung ikaw lang ang sakay, you can go 1-2 psi below the recommended pressure... pag may sakay, sakto dapat.

Ahmm ok thanks.
    Ang recommended po sa manual ay 90 RON or Higher.. Nagfill up na ako kanina.. Sinubukan ko Fuel Save, 500pesos lng..
    Then i went for a mixed driving 80/30% city I managed it to increased into 10.1km/L

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerx3 View Post
    Kung yun nakasulat sa manual yun ang sundin mo.
    Break in period is the 1st 1000 kms
    Ah ok po salamat.. Un pala ung break in hehe

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    There aren't any hard and fast rules when it comes to fuel consumption and octane rating.

For most cars, there's no difference whether you fill up with 91 RON or 95/97/100 RON fuel. If a car is designed to run with 91 RON, it will not develop more power or give better mileage by using higher octane fuels.

Even high-compression engines like Mazda's SkyActiv, when tuned to run on 91 RON, will run perfectly fine on 91 RON and will not get better efficiency from 95 RON.

Remember that a fuel's octane rating only signifies its resistance to knocking (premature ignition). It means that the fuel can withstand more compression before igniting, it does not mean that the fuel has more energy or is more efficient.

On cars that are designed for higher octanes, such as most sports cars, you will suffer a reduction in performance/economy when using fuels with lower octanes than what's specified in the manual. This is because the car's anti-knock sensor detects that the fuel ignites prematurely, and will adjust the ignition timing to prevent engine knocking. It results in sub-optimal conditions for the engine, resulting in decreased power, but this is better than continuous knocking which can lead to engine damage.

If you would notice, no oil company claims that their 95 RON fuel will generate more power or better economy than their 91 RON just because of the higher octane. Rather, all their claims are based on the fact that their premium fuels have better cleaning properties for your engine because of the higher detergency of the additives used in premium fuel compared to regular fuel. Additional power or improved economy are only potential offshoots of a cleaner engine.

However, no company discloses just how much cleaner your engine will be with V-Power/XCS/Excellium compared to FuelSave/Xtra Advance/Techron Silver. This is because the difference is mostly negligible and your engine's longevity won't suffer just because you use exclusively 91 RON.

Oil companies invest heavily on marketing their premium fuels simply because you pay several pesos more for it, even if the difference in product cost is just a few centavos.

thanks bro. i read it twice and extra slow to digest everything.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Yesterday, I drove again and fill up my tank with Shell Fuel Save 91 RON, and I reduced the tire pressure into 32psi , Driving with a total distance of 57kms, combined city & highway...I managed to get avg FC of 10.1km/L
    😀

9. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by khenma0928 View Post
    Yesterday, I drove again and fill up my tank with Shell Fuel Save 91 RON, and I reduced the tire pressure into 32psi , Driving with a total distance of 57kms, combined city & highway...I managed to get avg FC of 10.1km/L
    😀
    Nagbabago talaga yan bro. Enjoy yhe drive. I hataw mo paminsan minsan pag maluwag talaga ang daan

10. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    About sa tires alin ba dapat ang masmataas? Front or rear tires?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Fuel consumption affected by gasoline's Octane number?