New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Sana me 90 day return warranty if you are not satisfied.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    RE: low boiling point... most I can think of is alcohol, but that's too flammable.
    I was thinking of a refrigerant called ammonia. The system would need to be a closed loop setup but that isn't extra-ordinary anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    ....The temperature isn't that low, otherwise BMW wouldn't be able to get it to work, but it requires quite a bit of thought as to how the mechanism will work. All you'd need is a turbine, an evaporator, a condenser, lots of copper tubing and one-way valves.

Hot water flows around the manifold, goes to evaporator, turns to steam, turns turbine, turbine boosts engine, used steam goes to condenser, turns back to water, goes back to copper tube around exhaust manifold.

I can fabricate the set-up, but I'd need to see how much boost it would make before attaching it to my engine.
    You can directly heat a fluid (not water) against the heat from the manifold. You would also probably need a heat block to stabilize the heat transfer between the fluid & exhaust manifold. A vessel to reserve some pressure for sudden boost or stabilizing the output would probably be needed as well.

You have to remember, a city driven car isn't driven at a constant state. The steam turbine system will also have a big lag between flooring the accelerator & when boost arrives.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; March 5th, 2008 at 05:37 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I am pretty sure that you cannot breakdown water into O2 and H2 by just applying heat. If you apply hight heat into water you get super heated steam. which is basically still water but in a gas state.

Unless you have a black box that generates a lot of electricity by just applying high heat, then you can use the electrolysis method to get H2 and O2.

If you already have lectricity, why not just use this to drive a motor to support the engine.

I do hope they have scientific information and dyno data from a dis-interested 3rd party.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    I am pretty sure that you cannot breakdown water into O2 and H2 by just applying heat. If you apply hight heat into water you get super heated steam. which is basically still water but in a gas state.
    Actually you can breakdown H2O to hydrogen & oxygen and the process is called "dissociation of water". It is done by exposing steam to high temperatures of 1800C to 2500C. Unfortunately, typical exhaust temperatures do not reach 1000C.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Actually you can breakdown H2O to hydrogen & oxygen and the process is called "dissociation of water". It is done by exposing steam to high temperatures of 1800C to 2500C. Unfortunately, typical exhaust temperatures do not reach 1000C.
    Thanks for the info.

For now di muna ako maniniwala sa invention na ito. I need proof that this invention works.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm waiting for someone to label us as unpatriotic/imperialistic SOBs.

:rofl:

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    ^^ looks like people have learned some real science after the dingle water car

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    I'm waiting for someone to label us as unpatriotic/imperialistic SOBs.

:rofl:

you'll have to email the thread link to the filipino "inventor" of this gadget to get that result.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Exhaust gas temp on a turbo diesel engine(which normally run hotter than naturally aspirated diesel engines) when measured from the exhaust manifold before the turbocharger are typically in the 650'C to 750'C range. Anything higher than that and there is risk that the engine will fail.

Over the past year, we've had the DOST & DOE come over to have a number of devices that the developers claim to increase power, reduce emissions and improve gas mileage tested.

Nothing still beats a properly serviced, tuned, well maintained vehicle with a driver who practices good driving habits, in terms of getting better efficiency. It's practically free.

Simply changing your driving habits alone can in an improvement of as much as 1-2km/l. in fuel consumption.

Poorly aligned or cambered tires can cost you as little as 0.5 to as much as 1 km/l in fuel consumption.

Dead dampers on the drive wheels can cost you 1km/l.

Over sized tires have the biggest penalty of all. A small seemingly insignificant 1-2% change in tire diameter can cost as much as 10% reduction in fuel consumption, depending on how you drive and what kind of traffic conditions you encounter.

Improving efficiency of the engine via tuning the engine and use of headers, free flow exhausts, intakes and other minor "racing" mods does save fuel when combined with the proper change in driving habits to take advantage of the increase in power that the components provide.
    Last edited by Auto_Xer; March 6th, 2008 at 09:37 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The guru has spoken!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Filipino invention: Hydrogasifier