New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    My Diesel Dream is the latest Volkswagen Caravelle 2.5 TDI with 174 bhp and a maximum speed of 200 km/h. Puede na siguro yang speed na yan sa almost 2 ton na Van. Kaso ang presyo nasa P3.8M. Haha!!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Let's break the laws of physics then! At one point, all that matters is getting what we want. :-)

Of course, it would be mind boggling to do so but since the distance between success and failure is the courage to fail greatly....

It took Thomas Edison 2000 ways NOT to make a light bulb before he finally discovered the right way to make one.

nice dreams... not to interupt it pero parang unrealistic yung combination ng 500cc engine putting out 150-200hp

Unrealistic.. That's the word that stops people from climbing new heights...

my dmax is already 3.0L turbo intercooled and yet it is less than 200hp

If I am not mistaken, the isuzu engine on DMAX P-ups are not yet CRDI VGT. And I haven't heard of an Isuzu engine innovation lately.

Hyundai-KIA has this engine called the S-engine, that can pump out 240hp/450Nm out of a 3.0L. That's stock. ECU Tuners can pump out probably 25-30% more power from that engine. It's got the latest turbocharger from BorgWarner called E-VGT and cold-start tech. That's the low priced version

consider:

BMW diesels:

520d CRDi 2.0 : 120kW (163hp)/ 340Nm

530d CRDi 3.0 : 173kW (235hp)/ 500Nm

535d CRDi 3.0 : 210kW (286hp)/ 580Nm

Of course, BMWs are expensive.

Think of these verbatims..

*Success is determined by those whom prove the impossible, possible.”

*The impossible - what nobody can do until somebody does”

*Imagination is better than Knowledge - Albert Einstein

Here are some great blunders from great skeptics:

That the automobile has practically reached the limit of its development is suggested by the fact that during the past year no improvements of a radical nature have been introduced.
    - Scientific American, Jan. 2, 1909

While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming.
    - Lee DeForest, 1926 (American radio pioneer)

There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home.
    - Ken Olson, 1977, President, Digital Equipment Corp

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
    - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    dreaming???? dream high

AUDI V12 Le mans winning car engine
    Q7 concept now might be in production by 2008
    6.0Li
    500bhp
    1000Nm torque

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Within the immediate future, having a 150hp 500cc diesel that's streetable and emissions compliant is pretty far-fetched.

Right now, you can get turbodiesels up to the same hp level as mass market non-turbo gasoline engines of the same size... 114 for a 1.5, 150 for a 2.0, 250 for a 3.0... etcetera.

A 500cc mass market gas engine will make about 30-40 hp (let's not bring motorcycles into this... that's horsepower by high rpms, which diesels do not YET have).

It may be possible to get this with current CRDis... but to push it to 50-80 hp, you'd need to strengthen the block quite a bit (to withstand the pressure)... and such a strong block might not be economical to produce... or too heavy. Audi's R10 may be a monster... but at best it's a ratio of 130 or 150 hp per liter of displacement... and it's a heavy engine because of the strength needed. To get a ratio of 300 hp per liter from a non-race engine would take some time. Maybe another ten years or so.

What is possible now is a 500cc turbocharged gasoline engine with direct injection and variable turbine geometry that will give you about 100+hp (150 might be the edge of stock reliability) and over 30 km/l. A diesel plant could do the same, possibly, but I'm not sure how long it would last under the high pressure.

Still, you never know. Back in the infancy of CRDi, no one could ever have predicted that it could work so well. But new technologies being applied to gasoline engines now might redress the balance of power.

Now if we were talking about 150 hp 1000 cc CRDis, that's something that could possibly happen soon.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    new Korean diesels are real diesel dreams indeed.

yes, forgot about that... audi diesel engine is a dream too. wow, 1000Nm? I wonder if I can fit it in the Pajero.
    ah so mas mura po yung BMW 330d? I still need to dream hard.

common Motorcycles are even more powerful because they don't have such pollution restrictions.

hey, how about nuclear powered vehicles, like the Batmobile in the late 60's tv.
    Last edited by rion; June 4th, 2007 at 02:35 PM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post

Here are some great blunders from great skeptics:

That the automobile has practically reached the limit of its development is suggested by the fact that during the past year no improvements of a radical nature have been introduced.
    - Scientific American, Jan. 2, 1909

While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming.
    - Lee DeForest, 1926 (American radio pioneer)

There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home.
    - Ken Olson, 1977, President, Digital Equipment Corp

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
    - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
    someday I dream that i will invest in a business with only 100K capital all-in and earn 3M a month

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

It may be possible to get this with current CRDis... but to push it to 50-80 hp, you'd need to strengthen the block quite a bit (to withstand the pressure)... and such a strong block might not be economical to produce... or too heavy. Audi's R10 may be a monster... but at best it's a ratio of 130 or 150 hp per liter of displacement... and it's a heavy engine because of the strength needed. To get a ratio of 300 hp per liter from a non-race engine would take some time.
    don't be so sure, what makes you think the next generation engines would still be based on metals? have you heard of ceramic diesel engines? lighter, yet as strong if not stronger than steel? requires no cooling so major weight reduction in terms of engine design. check out these links...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic

http://ceramicrotaryengines.com/

but I agree..,maybe give it another ten years... hopefully, while we're still young enough and able enough to drive a hotrodding diesel engine car or suv.
    but that's depends on your frame of mind... i know a 75 year old man who enjoys driving an SUV at 110kph
    .. so keep on dreaming and have an open mind ;)

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Possible, but not within the next decade.

As said nga by Niky and rsnald, there would be even newer and far more different types of engines made. By that time, the hydrogen and electric engines will start entering the market. Baka pa nga by that time, these conventional engine techs will start disappearing (as stated by M2).

Right now, diesel engine tech is focusing on reducing emissions (as what MB and VAG are doing).

Pero if you can't wait and want something now, then you can try MB's 2.0 and 2.2 liter diesel engines with BLUETEC.

Euro-6 compliant

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    My opinion in the Adblue technology is slightly different. I believe that there are still other ways in improving NOx, mileage and power than spraying
    urea or any other substance in the combustion chamber itself. MB should stick to designing an efficient engine based on readily available fuel like any other diesel engine manufacturer. Peace!
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; June 4th, 2007 at 10:23 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    My dream...

Mercedes Bluetec diesel E-class
    With a 620 mile range without refueling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Diesel Dreams