New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    napansin ko lang kung magmaneho pinsan ko sa manual tyranny usually 1st gear papaabutin ng 2000rpm then shift sa 2nd gear paabutin ulit ng 2000-2200rpm then shift sa 3rd gear tapos paabutin ng 2500rpm then shift na sa 5th gear, di na dadaan ng 4th this method usually ang speed niya is around 55-60kph, city driving speeds kumbaga..

can this save gas kahit konti lang pero pagnagaccumulate yung minor na tipid na yun malaki rin in the long run or mas magastos sa gas at nakakasira pa? tia

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    As long as the engine doesn't shudder or buck because you're straining it with a gear that's too high for your speed, it shouldn't break anything.

Whichever method you use, short-shifting (shifting at 2000 rpm) or skip-shifting (skipping gears), the point is to get up to cruising speed quickly without using too much power or gas, then to maintain your momentum once up to cruising speed. In other words, don't speed up too much if you have to brake right away as soon as you reach your desired speed (give yourself some space to coast down instead of having to brake right away) and read the flow of traffic, and try not to go so quickly that you're always catching up with slower cars that may block your path.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    it's about maintaining good momentum (less breaking) with little engine effort...

good advice eh? but honestly, I still sucks. my bro get more mileage than me.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Mine, too... hahaha... I technically know how to do it... I've hit the magic 16 km/l for the Crosswind and 14-16 km/l for the Lynx... but my daily driving habits are abyssmal, I usually only get 8-9 km/l... I drive too fast.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Drive like a grandma over here. It takes people like her a full minute to get from a stop to 40 mph. I don't mind except when they're in front of me. They're too light-footed on the gas pedal

But, when I tried driving like them, the trip computer of the Hyundai Sonata showed an improvement of at least 1 mile per gallon.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Mine, too... hahaha... I technically know how to do it... I've hit the magic 16 km/l for the Crosswind and 14-16 km/l for the Lynx... but my daily driving habits are abyssmal, I usually only get 8-9 km/l... I drive too fast.
    haha... I don't go too high gear, kasi split second decision nga yung overtaking... and I suck in quick down and up shifts.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    yeah i usually try and go to 5th gear using the sequential shifter as soon as possible... masmatipid daw.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    sure you can try all those saving methods pero dito sa Pilipinas, it's always unpredictable. our emotions are part of the traffic.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If your engine can take it, a 1-3-5 shifting can save some gas. Though I'm with niky on the non-application of these theories for my everyday driving. :diablo:

Though my personal theory is that non-aggressive driving of most drivers consumes more gasoline as a lot due to the the slower flow of traffic. :evillaugh

The classic example would be a bottleneck due to a construction in one lane. What happens is that those who entered the moving lane & passed the construction wouldn't accelerate fast enough so that it would free up more space behind them.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The key is to get to the taller gear ratios quickly and by using momentum, conserve energy and minimize braking (which turns energy into heat). 1-3-5 shifting is good as long as it doesn't strain the engine like Niky said.

Some people even use 2nd gear starts if the car has enough torque. I know my dad's Civic SiR when it was stock, could start in 2nd gear easily. 2nd gear is a taller ratio, which doesn't rev up the engine as much but provides just enough torque to get the car moving.

There was even an episode of Top Gear where Clarkson used the current generation Corvette and started in 6th gear was it? All the way to its top speed. One gear, all the way but of course that was very slow...un-Corvette like... hehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
can this method of shifting save gas kahit minimal lang?