New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    silicon: hyundai vehicles are designed to handle up to B5 or 5% BD. I'm sure KIA can handle the same without sacrificing your warranty. Check with your dealer also. All diesels now have 1% BD. B5 can be a better mix for you in the long term HTH!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Hi Guys,

Has anybody here have used straight vegetable oil? Why buy bio diesel at those prices when you can buy straight filtered coconut oil at the philippine coconut authority at quezon city circle? Or straight filtered waste cooking oil?
    And to mr. biogas works, we use to have a biogas works at daet camarines norte to control the smell of our pig farm and it has since been abandoned since 1986 when my grandfather died. will it be possible to rehabilitate a biogas works after all these years?
    How do i get in touch with people with biogas works?
    Just curious.
    Last edited by mark_t; January 3rd, 2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: edit

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    mark_t,

There was a movement to use coconut oil in diesel, I believe in the 80s. Does anyone remember cocodiesel? Unfortunately, the excess glycerin and moisture wreaked havoc on the diesel engines. Biodiesel's much better, I hear

Quote Originally Posted by mark_t View Post
    Hi Guys,

Has anybody here have used straight vegetable oil? Why buy bio diesel at those prices when you can buy straight filtered coconut oil at the philippine coconut authority at quezon city circle? Or straight filtered waste cooking oil?
    And to mr. biogas works, we use to have a biogas works at daet camarines norte to control the smell of our pig farm and it has since been abandoned since 1986 when my grandfather died. will it be possible to rehabilitate a biogas works after all these years?
    How do i get in touch with people with biogas works?
    Just curious.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    How sure are we that the diesel we are using is pre-blended. Nung mag- start kasi ang Caltex selling diesel w/ 1% bio-diesel dito sa amin e nag-stop na ako gumamit ng Bio-activ, ang kaso e lately e napansin ko na mabaho na naman usok ng van namin. Possible kaya na minsan e hindi nila hinahaluan ng biodiesel ang diesel nila?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I'm sure the big 4 (Petron, Shell, Caltex/Chevron and Total) are compliant, as I don't think they would risk their brand/reputation by not complying with the law. I'm not so sure about the others.

Quote Originally Posted by kokey View Post
    How sure are we that the diesel we are using is pre-blended. Nung mag- start kasi ang Caltex selling diesel w/ 1% bio-diesel dito sa amin e nag-stop na ako gumamit ng Bio-activ, ang kaso e lately e napansin ko na mabaho na naman usok ng van namin. Possible kaya na minsan e hindi nila hinahaluan ng biodiesel ang diesel nila?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hi All!

Unfortunately, the gas stations DO NOT utilize the 1% blend as believed.

Apparently there is a sub clause somewhere that says they only but need to run a MINIMUM of .7% and it would be OK.

Some stations have been shown to run .7% to .85% but no full 1% as of yet.

The situation is still being monitored to see if there will be a change.

Hope this helps.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    hello...newbie here but not a newbie in biodiesel.

was one of the members of the technical team that pushes for the use of biodiesel (coconut-based) way-back early 2000; left the scientific community last 2005. yes, based on researches & studies we've done, coconut is the best feedstock for biodiesel. back then, comparison was done mainly on coconut, rapeseed (europe), soya (u.s.), palm kernel (malaysia). it has the detergency & lubricity needed to protect the engine from early wear & tear & to have a cleaner emission. it was so good that it was accepted in japan; good enough that one of the manufacturers planned to set-up a plant in japan. unfortunately, the issue back then was price & supply (seems nothing has changed). that was the main reason why they tried to find other feedstocks (such as jathropa or even malunggay). unfortunately, the benefit may not be as good as that of coconut due to a different carbon chain.

back then, manufacurers are saying that they can lower their price to P55-60 and maintain it. sad to say, they were not able to live-up to that promise. not sure with senbel; but chemrez, thru its dealers, is selling it at P125 / liter (flying v) and P86 / 500 ml (unioil). don't know what happened to the 3rd supplier.

yes. i still use biodiesel; but only as a cleaner. i put 1 liter on the last 5 liters of my fuel tank (tank-empty light). then i run my vehicle at 100+ kph for the next 35-40 km.

gil

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    With the hype on Biofuel now, I believe the price will soon go down at par with conventional diesel and that the mix blend will be increased by next year.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I think the price of biodiesel will be dictated by the law of supply and demand. If coconut is the only source of biodiesel then pricing of it will greatly depend on other industries demand on its oil which is a lot.

We need other sources of feedstock to make it really viable.

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    It's really a pity how people can take a relly good thing like biodiesel (tuba-tuba, etc.) and use it for corruption. With people like lozada and gloria in the government, how will we be ever achieve progress.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Biodiesel Rulez!!! [continued]