New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    pinaka accurate ang highway driving. pag city mahirap talaga ma calculate results will vary from place to place.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    pero ako ang reference point ko lagi is the upper and lower limit.

Say sa vios, ang worst na nakita ko na FC is 8.3km/l as posted by Sir Renzo sa vios thread, pero meron din namang as high as 16km/l and better. Mine is 13.43km/l as of today.

so you can expect your worst car FC and your best car FC. nothing is fixed all depends on a lot of variable weather, temperature, traffic, road condition, mood, etc and etc. even vios to vios with exact model varies on their FC.

one thing that might contribute is the weight of the driver and passenger/s. like me medyo biggie ako and laging may luggage sa trunk ko for me, my wife and my baby.

IMHO, para marealize mo real FC, hanap ka ng katulad mo ng ruta at time ng byahe na almost so that you can have a more accurate picture of your target FC.

Kasi sa vios sabi nila highway driving is around 16-18km/li, pero 13.43 ako considering 70% of my time daang hari, 10% loob ng village and 20% commerce ave to northgate. so i am expecting more sa vios ko.
    Last edited by brainmafia_310; July 8th, 2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added input

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Won't work if comparing between different drivers, conditions and time frames.

-

Example: Ford Explorer Ecoboost.

First test unit, I got 3-4 km/l in trafffic, and 12 km/l on the highway.

Second test unit, doing eco-driving: 5-8 km/l in traffic. 12 km/l mixed. 15 km/l highway.

The difference? Traffic.

Not really comparable.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    to each his/her own..whatever reference the posters fancy & the reader ought not be confused coz its pretty elementary

city is synonymous to heavy, hiway is synonymous to light, while mixed is synonymous to moderate
    Last edited by kisshmet; July 9th, 2013 at 03:16 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    would it be simpler to use "minimum" and "maximum"? not necessarily in strict sense? everybody knows we get minimum in city, maximum in hiway

6. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    I also wonder...

That is why I use the following FC reporting style:

Vehicle:
    Fuel:

Last Full Tank (first click):
    Total Distance Traveled:
    Total Liters Refueled (first click; June 24):
    Average Speed (based on MID):
    Routes:
    Results:
    ~ x.xx km/l
    ~ x.xx PhP/km
    I prefer reporting the average speed vs. "city/highway/mixed." But yeah, it's difficult for those cars without MIDs.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My take:

City driving - anything inside Metro Manila or any big city in the country

I further dissect it to heavy, moderate, and light:

Heavy - below 15 kph average speed, typically EDSA rush hour traffic

Moderate - 16-19 kph average speed, typically EDSA plus lighter QC traffic

Light - 20-30 kph average speed, typically Sunday driving

Highway driving is expressway driving, plus national highway if it's free flowing (like 10pm onwards)

Mixed driving is a mix of city and highway driving, as the name implies.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

I further dissect it to heavy, moderate, and light:

Heavy - below 15 kph average speed, typically EDSA rush hour traffic

Moderate - 16-19 kph average speed, typically EDSA plus lighter QC traffic

Light - 20-30 kph average speed, typically Sunday driving
    Impressive attention to detail

But yeah... I've also been testing roads to establish thresholds/tiers/speed qualifiers. The last of which is my trip to Laguna last Saturday (morning; around 10 AM). From AFP (Bonny Serrano-EDSA intersection) to Solenad, Nuvali, my average speed was 51 kph (via Eton exit).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I think fuel mileage postings in forums like this are of value ONLY IF posters compare the mileage of 2 (or more) cars they own or have recently owned, driven daily on the same general route under the same general traffic conditions over a considerable period. Then the data shared is reliable but only as far as which of the 2 cars involved have better fuel mileage and by how much. Other owners of the same exact cars can then apply such data to compare a 3rd model (and a 4th, 5th and so forth) and a fairly accurate ranking of all 3 cars can be deduced using simple mathematical principles - e.g. if A>B and B>C, then A>C.

There's just too many variables affecting fuel consumption that comparing mileage postings of different cars by different owners is an exercise in futility. The variables include route, traffic conditions, ambient temp, humidity, elevation, aircon settings, number of passengers, cargo load, manner of measuring mileage, tire rolling resistance, driver accelerating and braking styles, accessories used (load on alternator)...I'm sure there's more.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by desmosedici View Post
    I think fuel mileage postings in forums like this are of value ONLY IF posters compare the mileage of 2 (or more) cars they own or have recently owned, driven daily on the same general route under the same general traffic conditions over a considerable period. Then the data shared is reliable but only as far as which of the 2 cars involved have better fuel mileage and by how much. Other owners of the same exact cars can then apply such data to compare a 3rd model (and a 4th, 5th and so forth) and a fairly accurate ranking of all 3 cars can be deduced using simple mathematical principles - e.g. if A>B and B>C, then A>C.

There's just too many variables affecting fuel consumption that comparing mileage postings of different cars by different owners is an exercise in futility. The variables include route, traffic conditions, ambient temp, humidity, elevation, aircon settings, number of passengers, cargo load, manner of measuring mileage, tire rolling resistance, driver accelerating and braking styles, accessories used (load on alternator)...I'm sure there's more.
    Yes, there are many variables involved, with traffic conditions, route, and driving style as the biggest determinants for fuel consumption.

But thay doesn't mean the data is pointless if your conditions aren't met.

For example, the FC of my Mazda 3 is a horrible 4-6 km/L in city driving. My Altis on the other hand did 7-9 km/L in city driving. Both cars are driven on different routes, but the aggregate data shows that when traffic is heavy, the Mazda really goes down to 4-5 km/L while the Altis drops to 7 km/L. If traffic is lighter, the Mazda does 6 km/L while the Altis does over 9 km/L.

The conditions do not have to be exactly the same for numbers to have value. They just have to be measured with consideration of the other variables.

This is why I always put notes on my fill-ups - if it was city/mixed/highway driving, what route, and how hard I was driving at the time. I even include fuel type and brand, but have found that FC is more or less the same regardless of fuel and that the aforementioned factors are more important.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast