New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Guys and gals, I need your advice on what do or buy. The scenario is this:
    - I'm due to get my cash from insurance after wrecking my 2014 Monty
    - I need a true SUV, as I frequently travel and look to go to the unbeaten track. No soft roaders please
    - I camp so need the space
    - I prefer 4x4, as my accident was down to no traction in my front wheels. Also, my travels sometimes require going through unpaved roads
    - detest the looks of the MU-X
    - the TB is fine, but need more than macho looks or theoretical engine power to overcome the tupperware interior and potential ownership costs, as well as availability of casa services nationwide
    - the Fort is good but the weak engine and 4-speed automatic is disappointing. There is also the new one supposedly coming in for 2016
    - the Monty still looks best value but the fact that a replacement is coming shortly, and if the interiors of the new strada is anything to go by, I will really hate myself.
    - I'm considering stretching for the Pajero, but the cost is prohibitive and a new model is about 24 months away. Would really prefer not to go for this... baka sardinas tsaka pancit canton magiging baon ko araw-araw.
    - Willing to keep the car for 5 to 10 years
    - I am disappointed that I find myself in this need now, as the key manufacturers are due to release new models (not refreshes) over the next 12 months.
    - will consider second hand for 2-3 y.o. models but spending 1m on a car without warranty...

What to do, what to do? Need some sense and guidance. Salamats!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Since you've ruled out the usual options, I'd suggest a pre-owned Nissan Patrol Safari. Bulletproof in terms of reliability, has all the space you'd need and the off roading ability.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    If you're willing to wait in getting a brand new one, then I suggest going for the all-new Everest but the thing is, the TOTL 4x4 variant will probably costs about P1.8m or so and it's not yet tested here in our roads. If you want a true-offroader SUV though, then I suggest the Patrol but 2-3 y.o. models still have prices above P1.9m and are only available in A/T. If you want something more cheaper, yet is an off-road capable vehicle at the same time, then get a pickup. The Ranger, Navara and Colorado are good choices but I guess you're really sticking to SUVs, so it can be either of the two SUVs that I mentioned earlier or some of the alternatives you have there.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    4WD will not save you from having an accident that occurred from having no traction from the front tires. What it means is you simply will not get stuck.

What this means is... while it's better to have 4WD when going through muddy trails... and even necessary, if the ground is soft or slippery... what you should pay attention to is the tires. If your route is really that dangerous, you should change the tires on whatever you end up buying. Most trucks come stock with cheap HT tires that suck in the wet, suck in the mud and, most importantly, suck under braking.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

4WD will not save you from having an accident that occurred from having no traction from the front tires. What it means is you simply will not get stuck.

What this means is... while it's better to have 4WD when going through muddy trails... and even necessary, if the ground is soft or slippery... what you should pay attention to is the tires. If your route is really that dangerous, you should change the tires on whatever you end up buying. Most trucks come stock with cheap HT tires that suck in the wet, suck in the mud and, most importantly, suck under braking.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    Since you've ruled out the usual options, I'd suggest a pre-owned Nissan Patrol Safari. Bulletproof in terms of reliability, has all the space you'd need and the off roading ability.
    This is a viable consideration. However, it's even much older than the truck based SUVS, and this variants is only produced in a few countries, having been superseded by the Royale. Not sure if it's a 5-speed. I may need to do some research on it.

BTW, I haven't necessarily ruled out the usual options. Only wondering whether it is sensible given the imminent model change.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    If you're willing to wait in getting a brand new one, then I suggest going for the all-new Everest but the thing is, the TOTL 4x4 variant will probably costs about P1.8m or so and it's not yet tested here in our roads. If you want a true-offroader SUV though, then I suggest the Patrol but 2-3 y.o. models still have prices above P1.9m and are only available in A/T. If you want something more cheaper, yet is an off-road capable vehicle at the same time, then get a pickup. The Ranger, Navara and Colorado are good choices but I guess you're really sticking to SUVs, so it can be either of the two SUVs that I mentioned earlier or some of the alternatives you have there.
    It's a difficult wait. Been without a car since mid-range and really itching to get something shortly. Have a summer trip to Bicol lined up so want to close this out by month end or early April. Any views when the Everest will be out? My apprehension is that it hasn't been tested in the real world and especially under our conditions so a bit apprehensive. However, I just may. Willing to go 1.9m, but for brand new.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

I reckon having all 4 wheels powered on a slippery road would be much more effective than 2 wheels.

But agreed on the tires. Together with my purchase, will be good AT rubber.

Any suggestion on what SUV I could consider, in light of the new models coming out?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Remember, though... four-wheel drive will not prevent skidding under braking or sliding off a slope... it will simply make it easier to maintain momentum. I've driven completely sideways across muddy trails in a 4WD... but I've also done it in 2WD vehicles. The difference really comes when you have situations where you can potentially get stuck.

-

That said... it's hard to say what will be best until the Everest comes out. I like Ford's 3.2 for off-roading... Good solid low-end torque, and it comes on in a linear manner, unlike the rather abrupt torque-ramp up of the Mitsubishi unit. The Ranger is pretty handy off-road, I wager the Eve will be, too.

The Trailblazer... given... interior plastics suck, but best engine in the class for on-road enjoyment so far. Also comes with good stock tires. Dunlops, if I recall. They feel better in the wet than the stock tires on other SUVs.

The MU-X has less power, but it's a good truck, and relatively comfortable. All-black interior also better for hauling loads.

Remember, though... four-wheel drive will not prevent skidding under braking or sliding off a slope... it will simply make it easier to maintain momentum. I've driven completely sideways across muddy trails in a 4WD... but I've also done it in 2WD vehicles. The difference really comes when you have situations where you can potentially get stuck.

-

That said... it's hard to say what will be best until the Everest comes out. I like Ford's 3.2 for off-roading... Good solid low-end torque, and it comes on in a linear manner, unlike the rather abrupt torque-ramp up of the Mitsubishi unit. The Ranger is pretty handy off-road, I wager the Eve will be, too.

The Trailblazer... given... interior plastics suck, but best engine in the class for on-road enjoyment so far. Also comes with good stock tires. Dunlops, if I recall. They feel better in the wet than the stock tires on other SUVs.

The MU-X has less power, but it's a good truck, and relatively comfortable. All-black interior also better for hauling loads.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    All rear multilink SUVs will let you down over the tougher trails. Suggest going the pickup route and plan to install camper shells later.

Then you have all totl 4x4's that really like mudand rocky trails. Ranger, Colorado, Strada in M/T as boys prefer stickshifts

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, if you really NEED live axles, the Jimny has two of them.

It's also much easier to drive off-road than the TOTL pick-ups... fits more places, less likely to get high-centered... less likely to sink in the mud.

Of course, it's almost completely useless for family use.

Well, if you really NEED live axles, the Jimny has two of them.

It's also much easier to drive off-road than the TOTL pick-ups... fits more places, less likely to get high-centered... less likely to sink in the mud.

Of course, it's almost completely useless for family use.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast