New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    You may also consider the FJ Cruiser. I think it's selling for P1.8M already as it is being phased out.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Newcomer123 View Post
    All rear multilink SUVs will let you down over the tougher trails. Suggest going the pickup route and plan to install camper shells later.

Then you have all totl 4x4's that really like mudand rocky trails. Ranger, Colorado, Strada in M/T as boys prefer stickshifts
    Well, I don't do any hard-core offroading, but find occasion to be on the road less travelled. Insofar as it's ladder frame, or at least designed for the torsional stresses of some of these locations, a rear multilink suspension setup will be adequate.

Also, most of the time I will be using it in Metro Manila, the bed is not optimally used. A wagon has more utility for me

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sachiel View Post
    You may also consider the FJ Cruiser. I think it's selling for P1.8M already as it is being phased out.
    It crossed my mind, but it is geared more for off road than comfort, and petrol engine is not exactly my cup of tea.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Remember, though... four-wheel drive will not prevent skidding under braking or sliding off a slope... it will simply make it easier to maintain momentum. I've driven completely sideways across muddy trails in a 4WD... but I've also done it in 2WD vehicles. The difference really comes when you have situations where you can potentially get stuck.

-

That said... it's hard to say what will be best until the Everest comes out. I like Ford's 3.2 for off-roading... Good solid low-end torque, and it comes on in a linear manner, unlike the rather abrupt torque-ramp up of the Mitsubishi unit. The Ranger is pretty handy off-road, I wager the Eve will be, too.

The Trailblazer... given... interior plastics suck, but best engine in the class for on-road enjoyment so far. Also comes with good stock tires. Dunlops, if I recall. They feel better in the wet than the stock tires on other SUVs.

The MU-X has less power, but it's a good truck, and relatively comfortable. All-black interior also better for hauling loads.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Remember, though... four-wheel drive will not prevent skidding under braking or sliding off a slope... it will simply make it easier to maintain momentum. I've driven completely sideways across muddy trails in a 4WD... but I've also done it in 2WD vehicles. The difference really comes when you have situations where you can potentially get stuck.

-

That said... it's hard to say what will be best until the Everest comes out. I like Ford's 3.2 for off-roading... Good solid low-end torque, and it comes on in a linear manner, unlike the rather abrupt torque-ramp up of the Mitsubishi unit. The Ranger is pretty handy off-road, I wager the Eve will be, too.

The Trailblazer... given... interior plastics suck, but best engine in the class for on-road enjoyment so far. Also comes with good stock tires. Dunlops, if I recall. They feel better in the wet than the stock tires on other SUVs.

The MU-X has less power, but it's a good truck, and relatively comfortable. All-black interior also better for hauling loads.
    Thanks for the clarity Niky. And the options. You didn't suggest any of the Monty or the Fort... Would you say they are not good value for money, in light of what the TB or MU-X offer? I really hate the looks of the MU-X! The Ranger does look good, but again would prefer a wagon. Also, any ideas when the new Everest should be out? Lots of questions, I know :D I have been struggling with this (in)decision for weeks now, and getting closer to when a final decision should be made does not make it easier!

As for the Jimny... Well, it is tempting to have one just for the fun and sport of it. Great and handy offroader, and as spartan as one can get in the modern era.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    That is quite a situation you have there. To wait or not to wait. IMHO, it's best to wait rather than endure 5-10 years of regret for not waiting. Just rent a vehicle for your summer outing.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Considering your needs, the all-new Ford Everest looks like it's worth the wait assuming it comes with all the bells and whistles it promises to have. It's 4WD, it's comfortable, it has room and has a powerful diesel engine. To me, it really sounds like a great daily drive for the metro and your out-of-town camping trips.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Walter: you are quite right, that is the rational choice. Kumakati lang! Been quite restrained being without a car (but saved a fair bit too). I will look for renting options -- it's gonna be expensive as I am planning 5 to 7 days exploring south Luzon.

Radical: the new Everest seems to be "months away". In one news, it will be rolling out shortly in the PI. In another, production in Thailand will begin shortly.

The exteriors look quite nice though, and the equipment, at least the generic specs seem an order of magnitude better than what obtains in the current crop of truck-based SUVs.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperQuest View Post
    Thanks for the clarity Niky. And the options. You didn't suggest any of the Monty or the Fort... Would you say they are not good value for money, in light of what the TB or MU-X offer? I really hate the looks of the MU-X! The Ranger does look good, but again would prefer a wagon. Also, any ideas when the new Everest should be out? Lots of questions, I know :D I have been struggling with this (in)decision for weeks now, and getting closer to when a final decision should be made does not make it easier!

As for the Jimny... Well, it is tempting to have one just for the fun and sport of it. Great and handy offroader, and as spartan as one can get in the modern era.
    The Fort is decent off-road, but the ride is still compromised and the four-speed is ancient. Heck, even Isuzu uses a five-speed auto nowadays.

The Monty is still a good truck, but I don't like the non-linear power delivery... and with a new Strada out, it might only be a matter of time before the Monty gets the same upgrade. I assume that you know its other foibles, already... since your old truck was a Monty... if you still like it, by all means, go ahead!

Everest... no idea. I'm pretty sure it's coming out later this year, since they're mum about it... (if it weren't, they'd just deny it flat out).

Pretty difficult to buy, yes... when you're waiting on new entries. Don't envy you that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperQuest View Post

The Fort is decent off-road, but the ride is still compromised and the four-speed is ancient. Heck, even Isuzu uses a five-speed auto nowadays.

The Monty is still a good truck, but I don't like the non-linear power delivery... and with a new Strada out, it might only be a matter of time before the Monty gets the same upgrade. I assume that you know its other foibles, already... since your old truck was a Monty... if you still like it, by all means, go ahead!

Everest... no idea. I'm pretty sure it's coming out later this year, since they're mum about it... (if it weren't, they'd just deny it flat out).

Pretty difficult to buy, yes... when you're waiting on new entries. Don't envy you that decision.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you are willing to wait, get a 2nd hand that will not depreciate much in 1-2 years and save up more money in the process. then get the "under development" nissan NP300 navara-based suv that will probably come out very late 2016. or 2017. maybe even 2018 hahaha!

that is part of my plan anyway. my bt50 is back again with the dealer, it's the damn turbocharger again at dinamay pa ang intercooler! 4 strikes already (3 turbo replacements and 1 turbo hose), pasok na sa lemon law but unfortunately looks like my purchase is not covered. if they do make a good repair this time i will keep it until the new np300-based suv comes out. or if i can't wait i'll just get an np300. or new hilux.

if you are willing to wait, get a 2nd hand that will not depreciate much in 1-2 years and save up more money in the process. then get the "under development" nissan NP300 navara-based suv that will probably come out very late 2016. or 2017. maybe even 2018 hahaha!

that is part of my plan anyway. my bt50 is back again with the dealer, it's the damn turbocharger again at dinamay pa ang intercooler! 4 strikes already (3 turbo replacements and 1 turbo hose), pasok na sa lemon law but unfortunately looks like my purchase is not covered. if they do make a good repair this time i will keep it until the new np300-based suv comes out. or if i can't wait i'll just get an np300. or new hilux.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    How does that keep happening? Haven't they upgraded the gasket material yet?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast