Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    First things first, I'm from Davao.

The choices are:

BMW X5 3.0d (E70) or Audi Q7 3.0d or MB ML350

or

BMW 520d/530d or Audi A6 or MB CLS350

Preferably a 2006 and up model with less than 30,000km on the odo.

Budget is anywhere from 2M to 3.5M

If you were in the market for a USED Euro car, which would you prefer among the cars posted above based on the following criterias?

1. Reliability - Sourcing of spare parts is not a problem since we have contacts in manila, but we don't want our car breaking down every couple of months or so. We don't expect the car to be as worry-free as our Japs, but I've also heard a lot of horror stories about euro car reliablity issues.

Also, what are the documented probems/issues to watch out for for these models? I'm particularly concerned about electronic and mechanical problems more than anything else.

2. Spare parts and Maintenance Costs - AFAIK, there are no authorized Audi, BMW and/or MB service centers around here, so we have no choice but to have PMS and repairs done by a referred local casa. I was of the notion that BMW spare parts are cheaper than MBs, and that Audis have a lot of issues with their electronics. Are these true?

The car will be used mostly on weekends and special occasions only. We also plan to hold on to it for a few years (unless it's more trouble than it's worth) So consumption, practicality, resale value, etc. are not really major concerns of ours.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Anyone selling any one of the models we're looking for?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'd suggest the Audi Q7. You get the benefits and practicalities of a diesel engine and loads more space than the ubiquitous X5. Even though the engine's not the fastest one out there, you can easily chip it for more power. You'd also find newer units of the Q7 as compared to the X5 due to lower resale values of Audi's as compared to Mercs and BMWs.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    It's either the q7 or any from the sedans given for me. Reliability would still depend on how the previous owner took care of the car. If maintenance sched is followed regularly then it should have no problems on the next couple of years. Of course normal wear and tear is expected.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If we're discounting consumption but still going by practicality and weekend trip ability... a brand new CX9 at under 2.5m is about as nice inside as an X5 (depending on the model... the base X5 3.0D interiors aren't really that special, actually... though the top-of-the-line V8s are nicer than the CX9) and much more spacious (X5 optional third row is absolutely laughable, second row, if I recall correctly, isn't as comfy as in CX9). Can't beat the Q7 for interior quality or comfort, but it's not too far behind. The CX9 is about as quick or quicker than both Germans (270+ hp V6 versus 230+ hp diesels), handles nearly as well as an X5 (mid-to-upper trim X5s with good tires... the base X5 3.0D feels a bit "looser" than the Mazda), has a great sounding V6 and a responsive paddle-shift 6AT, has six adult sized seats (as long as the third row adults are under 5'3"), decent leather and 20" rims (bling bling). Base model X5s and Q7s aren't nearly that well-equipped. And the CX9, as a premium Mazda, has the solidity and refinement you'd expect from a vehicle costing twice as much.

A 520d is pretty bare, but it's tremendous fun to drive. But again, stripper model. The 530d feels heavier but has lots more power, and is a right gas. The A6 has a nicer interior, but the 5-series is just such a sweet car to drive...

Again, though... if you go with a "cheaper" car brand new, at 3.6m you can get a twin-turbo S60 T6, which has a paddle-shift 6AT, 300 horsepower, all-wheel drive, around as much rear seat space as the older 5-series (perhaps a little less... the S60 is sort of bantam-sized), good leather, a nice interior, and more electronic toys than both Germans put together... road-following headlights, radar cruise control, pedestrian-sensitive emergency braking system... the works. And it has better rollover protection than any other car on the market sans the Volvo XC60, which you could roll down the side of a mountain and drive away unscathed. Only reason I don't recommend the XC60 is the seats are pretty stiff and the interior isn't great... the S60 T6 has interior trim that's miles better.

Neither CX9 nor S60 will be seen by hotel valets or golf club kibbitzers as "cheap" cars. A secondhand previous generation X5 or 5-series will be obviously old. And even better, you're buying new with warranty, so any glitches will be covered for at least the next three to five years. Secondhands will only have one or two years of coverage left... 06s will likely have none. And with expensive cars from prestige brands, expect to pay much more for emergency or unexpected repairs.

Wonder how long before someone suggests a Prado... :hysterical:

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Tol why not buy a bnew car rather than a 2nd hand euro?...
    just go with the S60 or prado...

"are you willing to SPEND YOUR ---3.5M--- for a car that has been USED for a VERY LONG TIME"
    IMO that would be a pretty big waste of money

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    If it were up to me, i'd go with a brand new or slightly used C200 CGI or A4 TDi, but my dad has the final say on this. The CX-9 is out of the question (or the Prado for that matter) since my dad's already decided on a euro because of the "prestige" factor.

I've seen a couple of Q7s with less than 30k for about 3-3.5m but i'm not sure if they're base or S-line variants since i haven't seen the units in person yet. Also an '08 X5 3.0d with under 15k for around 3.7m. Description listing is pretty vague, so i can't really say if they're bare-bone variants or not.

As for the sedans, a CLS350 would cost about the same for a low-mileage unit and a 520d would be cheaper by about a million or so, yun nga lang, like niky said, stripper model talaga siya.

Any owner feedbacks re: Audi Q7 reliability? Any electronic or mechanical issues to look out for?

So before anyone else suggests an LC200 or a Veracruz...

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    review all your choices first before your dad decides. for me, i'd get a brand new.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Mercedes Benz CLS 350.

Rare, looks good, and it's a Benz. hehe.

I really like that car.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Call CATS in Greenhills and inquire about their pre owned inventory at least kahit 2nd hand you are assured because they still offer warranty.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by snail View Post
    If it were up to me, i'd go with a brand new or slightly used C200 CGI or A4 TDi, but my dad has the final say on this. The CX-9 is out of the question (or the Prado for that matter) since my dad's already decided on a euro because of the "prestige" factor.

I've seen a couple of Q7s with less than 30k for about 3-3.5m but i'm not sure if they're base or S-line variants since i haven't seen the units in person yet. Also an '08 X5 3.0d with under 15k for around 3.7m. Description listing is pretty vague, so i can't really say if they're bare-bone variants or not.

As for the sedans, a CLS350 would cost about the same for a low-mileage unit and a 520d would be cheaper by about a million or so, yun nga lang, like niky said, stripper model talaga siya.

Any owner feedbacks re: Audi Q7 reliability? Any electronic or mechanical issues to look out for?

So before anyone else suggests an LC200 or a Veracruz...
    hmmm.. ganun? so your looking for the "prestige" factor but your deciding on buying a "2nd" hand car? hehe tell your dad that...
    tol believe me it may look prestigious on the outside but inside your not gonna get that new leather smell and that "virgin" feel...
    just get a BRAND new audi a4 Tdi... its still euro and you could get it for only 2.6m with the discount...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Which USED Euro Car?