New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    My dad cannot justify to himself buying a brand new car worth 5-6M and lose half its value a couple of years down the road. maybe it won't matter if and when we get to be as rich as you and can afford to buy a brand new Cayenne and A7 without even blinking an eye

Besides, i know someone who's really rich (in every sense of the word) but all their cars are pre-owned except for a 2010 X-Trail. To each his own, i suppose.

Going back to topic, how does the dealer warranty work if the unit is outside Luzon anyway?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If there are no local dealerships, you have to ship your car to the nearest dealership for every oil change.

The big problem with buying a secondhand "prestige brand" diesel is that the car has already been exposed to our terrible local diesel for a few years, already. Which means that they only have so much life left in the injectors. If you get one that's been well cared for, no problem, if you get one that's been exposed to dirty or water-contaminated diesel already, big problem. It won't be obvious right away, maybe, but another year or two down the line, you'll be paying through the nose for new injectors. (Not quite sure what the price is for those cars, but I don't think a set of injectors for the sixes will go below 200k pesos.)

Either way, you are still losing value on the vehicles... just not as quickly on the secondhands, but you'll be losing it, nonetheless.

Best thing to do is to go view each car for sale with your Dad and see what you can get in the best condition. Given you're in Davao, it might even be worth it to look at a used X5 V8, since those come with a nicer interior than the 3.0Ds, a sweeter engine and a better kit (if I recall right, front lip, rear valance, bigger wheels). And since the V8 is a "guzzler", you can likely get it for a similar price to the originally cheaper diesel unit. Just check for interior trim damage, as the hot weather here is killer on leather and interior trim.

The only reason to go for a diesel is fuel economy. If that's not an issue, go for a gasoline unit, to ensure slightly longer trouble-free motoring. All German brands have expensive electronics and have the occassional "glitch". If the previous owner has had any troubles with the electronics... rats... flooding... wires cooking in the engine bay in traffic... it will cost quite a bit to repair, whether it's Mercedes, Audi or BMW... I'm not as "loaded" as your dad is, but I've got a fair number of relatives who own prestige cars like the Q7, LR4, X5 and assorted Mercedes S-class and BMW 7-series... (as well as one XJR)... and the cost of maintenance at the casa is... suffice to say... jaw-dropping... I believe the last I heard, the PMS of an S-Class is enough to pay my salary. The cost of parts is worse. Even better if you have contacts abroad who can ship them in for you, but there are few non-casa shops that know all the ins-and-outs of the cars... and I don't know of any in Davao.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by snail View Post
    My dad cannot justify to himself buying a brand new car worth 5-6M and lose half its value a couple of years down the road. maybe it won't matter if and when we get to be as rich as you and can afford to buy a brand new Cayenne and A7 without even blinking an eye

Besides, i know someone who's really rich (in every sense of the word) but all their cars are pre-owned except for a 2010 X-Trail. To each his own, i suppose.

Going back to topic, how does the dealer warranty work if the unit is outside Luzon anyway?
    Tol the reason i oppose on buying a 2nd hand car is there are a lot of safety issues that could go wrong...

Brakes, airbags, engine, and structural durability considering you dont know its history... Better to be safe than to save

Well if it cant be helped, cats motors certified pre owned is the best way to go... But only supports MErc...
    Check BMW in libis,I think they also have pre owned cars... Warranty is still valid outside luzon but when a break down occurs, the problem is getting the car to the casa, because they dont have towing services that far...

M-class and X530d has my vote

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have you checked with the local shops in Davao if there are any specialty/import service shops and what brands are they adept with? Try to check also the local luxury car owners and with the Manila distributors on how they deal with theirs. Some may be pooling their resources to have a mechanic and tools sent down for a service session. Lexus is also out of the question?

If you cannot find a unit in which you are sure the owner cared for it, I'd probably go with a certified preowned, gasoline model from MB, BMW or Audi so at least its a unit with traceable service history and it has undergone the battery of tests/checks for the certification.

Our family friends in Bukidnon gets by with their Land Rovers (mostly D110s) and just ship in the parts from Manila. This however doesnt have much electronics.

Keep your options open... do a trip to Manila and schedule to see several cars then go with what you like the best. When you do buy one, do not keep it as a garage queen that rarely sees the road as chances are it will break down even more (as what had happed with a relative's S-Class some years ago). Enjoy the car.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    To the TS.

I do not know if you are aware that a BMW dealership is now open for business in Mindanao. It is located near SM Cagayan de Oro City. Maybe getting the bavarian brand may seem to be less of a hassle.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    PGA Cars also has an inventory of certified Pre-Owned models. For the TS, this dealer sells Audi and Porsche. It's located in EDSA near Greenhills. But then again, you'll need to go to Manila to check the cars out. Try to google those dealers that sells certified pre-owned cars to check on their current inventory.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    To the TS.

I do not know if you are aware that a BMW dealership is now open for business in Mindanao. It is located near SM Cagayan de Oro City. Maybe getting the bavarian brand may seem to be less of a hassle.
    Really? Thats good news if ever... the drive between Davao to CdO is one nice trip to stretch out your EU ride.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    That's good news. I'll ask some contacts in CDO to verify this. Thanks for the tip.

We're not considering Lexus at the moment since none of their models within our price range appeal to us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Which USED Euro Car?