New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Our market is a price conscious one. So compromises do have to be made.

The Fortuner's gas engine makes adequate power for local conditions. Unless one was raised on GM and Ford products.

The IMV platform is not that bad. It's a quantum leap over the platforms it replaced and has made it more economical for Toyota to manufacture different vehicles for different market segments.

But then again, the competition is also improving by leaps and bounds.

I guess that's the way evolution goes.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Our market is a price conscious one. So compromises do have to be made.

The Fortuner's gas engine makes adequate power for local conditions. Unless one was raised on GM and Ford products.

The IMV platform is not that bad. It's a quantum leap over the platforms it replaced and has made it more economical for Toyota to manufacture different vehicles for different market segments.

But then again, the competition is also improving by leaps and bounds.

I guess that's the way evolution goes.
    ----------------------

Amen to that!

However on the contrary,

I grew up with our Toyotas, Nissan and a Honda
    I do maintain 3 Chevys but majority of my vehicles are Japanese and 1 Korean.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sayang ano? sana one of our local motor journalists can really test the safety of the fortuner (which in our current situation, will and probably never happen)..kahit rollover test man lang sana..ala mythbusters ba? kasi parang wala pa atang talagang nagtest ng capabilities nito?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Toyota (like most manufacturers) has in-house safety testing and engineering facility.

Of course lab conditions can sometimes differ from real world conditions. E.g. Nissan Patrols have some of the WORST laboratory crash safety results. But in the real world, it can literally demolish anything in its path and is very capable of protecting its occupants even when parameters exceed those for which it was tested for.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, even compared to locally sold US SUVs like the Expedition, Explorer and Trailblazer, the 3.0 Fortuner and 2.7 Fortuner are quick enough. At least, they get to the common SUV speed limiter really really quickly...

RE: crash test? Where's that thread on the crashed Fortuner?

RE: safety standards: Has the new IMV Hilux passed European standards yet? If so, that's a big plus for the Fortuner.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Actually, even compared to locally sold US SUVs like the Expedition, Explorer and Trailblazer, the 3.0 Fortuner and 2.7 Fortuner are quick enough. At least, they get to the common SUV speed limiter really really quickly...
    I agree, top end speed of the 2.7 vvti is quick enough and 4.0li is not needed afterall the Fortuner is an SUV and not a sports touring car. Although, I think the 2.7 vvti just needs better torque.

RE: crash test? Where's that thread on the crashed Fortuner?
    Here's the thread fortuner-jeepney accident

The Fortuner in the thread was involved in a side collision only.

Below is a crash test of the Hi-Lux at Toyota's facilities.

RE: safety standards: Has the new IMV Hilux passed European standards yet? If so, that's a big plus for the Fortuner.
    The IMV based Hi-Lux is already available at some developed countries in Europe like in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, etc..

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Oh? So the European Hilux is the same as the IMV based one? That's a definite plus, then.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    how 'bout being the tallest suv? safe ba ang fortuner sa sobrang taas?

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    how 'bout being the tallest suv? safe ba ang fortuner sa sobrang taas?
    This what motioncars has to say in their Fortuner review.

Quote Originally Posted by motioncars.com
    Alarmingly, the vehicle’s height exceeds its width.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Pinalitan pala title nitong thread...

In that case, I would choose the 4x2 Fort over the 4x2 Santa Fe. The price of the 4x2 Santa Fe is just too much to swallow! Mas value for money yung 4x4 V6 na Santa Fe.

Why do some guys complain about the height of the Fort? It is, of course, a large SUV. It is not meant to go fast around corners. It will roll-over for sure. The Santa Fe is a cross-over SUV, so it will have a lesser (but not zero) probability of roll-over.
    Last edited by vicoyski; August 26th, 2006 at 10:59 PM.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Toyota Fortuner 4x2 2.5D4d vs. Hyundai Sta. Fe 4x2 2.2Crdi