New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    I agree with Otep the US isn't the end all in safety standards. In any case if it passes Euro standards then it usually just requires a bumper change, airbags, and lighting modification to make it fit the US standards. Also like Otep said the Fortuner already has other Toyota products in it's category such as the 4runner and the FJ. As far as rollover the height of the Fortuner isn't really that much different than the SUV's in the US already. The Fortuner ground clearance is 8.1" and the other vehicles in it's category are higher the FJ is 9.5", Hummer H3 is 9.5", and Nissan Xterra 9.5" so the Fortuner is actually the lowest. BTW all it's competitors already come with standard stability control to help prevent the chances of rollover. As a point of comparison the Xterra which is very close in measurement to the Fortuner was rated by the NHTSA to have a 25% chance of rollover during emergency lane change manuevers and that's with Vehicle Dynamic Control(VDC). So I can't imagine the the Fortuner performing worse than that rating.
    whew grabe kala ko sa tipidpc lang ako nakakausap ng mga ultra-technical persons. where do you people get these figures hehehe

I'm convinced. I stand corrected.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Again, the Fortuner was never tested for NHTSA standards because it is never going to be released in the U.S. as Toyota already has products in the Fortuner's market segment. But to dismissis the Fortuner as unsafe just because it is not sold in the U.S. is too much of a generalized conclusion.

Personally, I'd take the Aussie standards over the U.S. anytime.
    Not being tested for the US NHTSA might be forgiveable... but the problem is that the Fortuner is still not tested even for the European, Japanese or Australian NCAP.

Take for example the high bumper (especially the rear wherein you can actually see the spare tire protruding) of the Fortuner... IMO not really that crash friendly with respect to sedans that might crash into it.

The Hi-Lux & Hi-Ace might have passed the Euro, Japan, and Aussie NCAP but it is still a different ballgame for the Fortuner. All IMV vehicles have different body panels, weight distribution, suspension setup, etc.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Fortuner's rear bumper can be forgiven because, like some other similar models from competing brands, the spare tire is used as an impact absorbing structure (though it plays a relatively minor part). And the solution if you really need a crash structure there is a pretty simple one, get the OEM rear trailer hitch like what Mitsu does to the Pajero or Ford to the Expedition.

Also, in the U.S. trucks and SUV's aren't even required to have rear bumpers. E.g. Early RAV4 and most base model pick-ups.

The only Euro market I know that has the Fortuner is Spain. Saan pa ba meron?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My fellow enthusiasts it seems that I have been misunderstood. Never have I said in my statement that the USA would be the ultimate standard for safety...

What I simply meant was as compared to the rest of the world and from "my" personal experience(just my take... you may have your own too! to share) having travelled a lot and drove in these countries and abided by their laws and policies; especially in Australia where I stayed and drove for almost a year in and out of its cities and outbacks during my fellowship training, I can say that the Americans do take "more seriously" their vehicle safety standards.

The Fortuner is a great vehicle! No doubt about it, it was even my first choice for months, however upon driving it (my cousin bought one kasi upon my advise; hehehe) , the ladder on frame did very little justice to it thus what you have is a bumpy ride.

By the way, you can never compare the FJ or the Hummer regarding its ground clearance to the fortuner and say that it's even higher therefore the same stability! Did anybody observe the width of those vehicles? They were all greater than the height! Again basic physics, over all it has a lower center of gravity! Therefore more stable.

FJ Cruiser: Height--- 70.9"
    Width----74.6"
    Length---183.9"
    Ground clearance--- 8.7"
    Weight--------4290 lbs

Hummer H3: Height-----73.7"
    width------74.7"
    Length-----186.7
    Ground Clearance--9.1(if with 33" tires) (Standard ground clearance is 8.7 also)
    Weight------ 4700 lbs

Fortuner Height----72.83"
    Width-----72.4"
    Length---184.84"
    Ground Clearance----8.66"
    Weight: 4279 lbs

Just compare and you'd see what I mean

I drove an xterra in Canada it was never that bumpy, (ergo different frame and weight ratio distribution then maybe... mazdamazda has a point too) in fact as we speak newer SUVs with the same price range would definitely have a gentler drive... and this makes me vote for the Sta fe. too hands down.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    First generation Xterras used the D21 platform (aka our Frontier today). Newer models run off the D22 if I'm not mistaken.

The U.S. does have more legislation primarily because everyone is lawsuit happy. Even the Jeep Liberty baby stroller got a recall! As for having more practial and useful guidelines, the Aussies (at least for me) win hands down. Though I'm still not a fan of ADR legislation limiting tire height on vehicles (including off-roaders).

COG is not as simple as looking at width and height. COG connotes where most of the weight is concentrated and how high it is off the ground. A ladder-frame (compared to a monocoque with ALL other things being equal) will have a lower COG primarily because frames are very heavy and have to sit low to accomodate the body. Of course compared to a Sta. Fe, the Fortuner will still have a higher COG as almost everything on the SF is lower slung (powertrain, body, suspension, etc.).

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    To all fortuner faithfuls, face the fact that it has not tested to any safety standard because toyota know it will not pass YET. IMO they spend less money on R & D with this vehicle. That is why you can only see fortuner running on the street where there is less safety standard requirement and even none. While STA FE... hands down.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How did you know that Toyota knew? Did you find out the same way that one of our posters knew that Hyundai knew about engine fires on Starexes and thus made OEM fire extinguishers standard?

I'm not a fan of the Fortuner. I don't even like it that much. But for some parties to simply dismiss it as unsafe is uncalled for. It has enough safety equipment for me (ABS and SRS).

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    First generation Xterras used the D21 platform (aka our Frontier today). Newer models run off the D22 if I'm not mistaken.

The U.S. does have more legislation primarily because everyone is lawsuit happy. Even the Jeep Liberty baby stroller got a recall! As for having more practial and useful guidelines, the Aussies (at least for me) wind hands down. Though I'm still not a fan of ADR legislation limiting tire height on vehicles (including off-roaders).

COG is not as simple as looking at width and height. COG connotes where most of the weight is concentrated and how high it is off the ground. A ladder-frame (compared to a monocoque with ALL other things being equal) will have a lower COG primarily because frames are very heavy and have to sit low to accomodate the body. Of course compared to a Sta. Fe, the Fortuner will still have a higher COG as almost everything on the SF is lower slung (powertrain, body, suspension, etc.).
    -------------------

That's where I definitely agree! The Aussie's are indeed more practical...Hehehe

And actually yun nga ang pinagtatakahan ko sa Fortuner, why they made it too light, as you said the frames should've been heavier as a ladder-frame structure as it is...

Siguro dapat mas nilakihan ang engine for the gas variant, like the one I read that they put a V6 and 4x4 engine in it in the middle east...

Or put a sturdier suspension as what others are doing here locally for modifications.

However if they did that baka kasing mahal na rin sya ng Prado!
    Mukhang Marketing and Business decision tong IMV nila... what do you think?

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    I'm not a fan of the Fortuner. I don't even like it. But for some parties to simply dismiss it as unsafe is uncalled for. It has enough safety equipment for me (ABS and SRS).

Except for Electronic Stability Program (ESP) . Which I personally think the fortuner also needs as well.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    For the Fortuner's ABS system, I dont know if it has the "electronic brake force distribution system" like say, the CRV.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Toyota Fortuner 4x2 2.5D4d vs. Hyundai Sta. Fe 4x2 2.2Crdi