New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    ^^^ So the new PPVs are still not up to par with CUVs when it comes to ride comfort and handling?
    Yes. In my experience, quite a long way to go. The CX5 actually handles better than some sedans, and the Forester takes corners very well despite being as spacious as PPVs inside.

It's quite hard to defy physics - PPVs have higher centers of gravity so they really have more inherent body roll. To avoid body roll and to fulfill heavy workloads, they have stiffer suspensions, leading to poorer ride quality over paved roads.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I think the difference in ride and handling of the CUVs against the PPVs is more a result of the platform upon which these vehicles are based upon. CUVs are based on car platforms while PPVs are based off pickups (unibody vs ladder-frame). We all know how different a car rides versus a pickup. Unless PPV manufacturers come up with a design similar to the unibody pickup platform of the Honda Ridgeline, these vehicles will keep its characteristic "tagtag" ride.

If ride and handling is a key requirement, you are better off with a CUV instead of a PPV. While most CUVs may not be as nimble as compact cars or as comfortable as midsize cars but it's a good balance in usable space and ride comfort plus good ground clearance. You can have lots of fun too if you're CUV is packed with a powerful turbo engine and lots of natural grip.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    If you want a good ride quality, you should not look for PPVs. Take a sedan or s good CUV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I think the difference in ride and handling of the CUVs against the PPVs is more a result of the platform upon which these vehicles are based upon. CUVs are based on car platforms while PPVs are based off pickups (unibody vs ladder-frame). We all know how different a car rides versus a pickup. Unless PPV manufacturers come up with a design similar to the unibody pickup platform of the Honda Ridgeline, these vehicles will keep its characteristic "tagtag" ride.

If ride and handling is a key requirement, you are better off with a CUV instead of a PPV. While most CUVs may not be as nimble as compact cars or as comfortable as midsize cars but it's a good balance in usable space and ride comfort plus good ground clearance. You can have lots of fun too if a CUV is packed with a powerful turbo engine and lots of natural grip.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CruzeR911 View Post
    If you want a good ride quality, you should not look for PPVs. Take a sedan or s good CUV.

I agree here. If comfort is the primary concern then one really has to start with the proper platform. A ladder frame chassis, or one designed to economically transcend several models/types can only go so far (that's why the premium SUVs such as the LC200 already did away with the truck platform if I recall correctly).

Interestingly (this is just a personal observation, nothing else), I usually only get to read about people complaining on the Fortuner ride being bad. Those i know who own and use one never really made a big issue about it then went on to buy a new unit when theirs reached several years of age; they can comment that another model/competitor may ride better but it never reaches the point that they prematurely sell the car and change because they cannot stand the ride.

What did the TS decide on?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    We own a older model hilux which is ladder frame is based on. It's not as refined as our sedan but it's reliable even if it's old (9yrs). Now we bought the fortuner and the ride quality is improved. It's just me but here, Toyota's have the cheapest maintenance and very good after service and reliablity. I'll exchange that to ride quality.

7. Join Date
    May 2011
    If I were in your position, I'd get a Forester XT.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vin23 View Post
    If I were in your position, I'd get a Forester XT.
    Once you have given it a test drive, you know you'll want to bring it home.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I usually only get to read about people complaining on the Fortuner ride being bad. Those i know who own and use one never really made a big issue about it then went on to buy a new unit when theirs reached several years of age; they can comment that another model/competitor may ride better but it never reaches the point that they prematurely sell the car and change because they cannot stand the ride.

Maybe that's because they didn't compare the drive / ride with the competitor ... Neighbor has both the Toyota Fortuner and the Mitsubishi Montero Sport ... and he complained about the stiff ride of the Toyota Fortuner ... even then, he uses the Toyota Fortuner to go to work ... go figure ...

Got to ride in the Toyota Fortuner, ride isn't that bad in the city ...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Maybe that's because they didn't compare the drive / ride with the competitor ... Neighbor has both the Toyota Fortuner and the Mitsubishi Montero Sport ... and he complained about the stiff ride of the Toyota Fortuner ... even then, he uses the Toyota Fortuner to go to work ... go figure ...

Got to ride in the Toyota Fortuner, ride isn't that bad in the city ...
    It's hard to sell a used car. Depreciation. Would accept a 100k loss just to switch brand due to bumpy ride? Thats why you need to do your homework before spending 1.×× million in a car. Libre lang test drive.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast