New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hey Folks,

I'm back with another comparo. But before I begin, thanks for chiming in on my previous thread:
    http://tsikot.com/forums/car-compari...purpose-92091/

The factors for this comparo have remained primarily the same:

My Mom is selling her 2005 Tribute V6 to upgrade into something in the 7-seater range as:
    - She has the occasional weekend driver duties for my grandfolks and their entourage and baggage. So that would be herself, and sometimes my dad, both her parents, personal nurse, and male valet/alalay, 2 wheelchairs and what have you. These are mainly in-city drives. Though of course this would be useful in out of town trips to Tagaytay, etc.
    - She has some weekday driver duties for our kids, too. So that's herself, a 4 and 2 year old, 2 yayas, and accompanying stuff.
    - Grandfolks cannot climb anything higher than the current gen Kia Carnival, which they rarely have access to on the weekend anyways. Innova and Tribute are actually a challenging climb for them already. No, they will not resort to the ergonomic chair that converts into a wheelchair that slides in and out of the car at the touch of a button. At least not yet.

The choices for the Mom-mobile have evolved though. And they've gotten expensive. Don't ask me about the budget part, I've long tried to come up with a cheaper alternative, to no avail.

From what was a Previa vs. similar options, it's now become a T-badge only battle between:
    A) Previa Q - P2.580M
    B) Alphard 2.4L - P2.97M
    C) Alphard 3.5L - P3.16M
    *Prices quoted do not include the pearl white color. Malas sila sa puti, kaya they're avoiding it.

So the questions would be:
    1) Which of the 3 Toyotas would best serve the factors mentioned above?
    2) Would the Alphard luggage space behind the 3rd row be spacious enough to take in the wheelchairs? I know, an actual test fit would answer this question, but until I get both wheelchairs to a dealer with a unit, I'll have to rely on anyone's personal experience on the luggage space.
    3) Any real world (PHDM) figures on the FC between the 2.4L and 3.5L Alphard for reference?
    4) Maintenance-wise, any big difference in maintaining the 3 options?

Parang gusto kong ibigay yung GS + ergonomic wheelchair apparatus/kit for two to push for Option C. Hahaha! I'm pretty biased toward the Previa since it's not that much harder to learn to drive due to its size, but as mentioned, it takes longer to order, is tighter inside, and is pretty expensive for what it offers. The Alphard is not cheaper, but it goes all out, so there's no in-between.

Some exclusions:
    Much as the Carnival LWB and T&C are viable options for the new price range, their not being Toyotas took them out of the running.

Hiring another driver to pilot another LWB, for example, though cheaper and more flexible, has proven to be an impracticable option at this point.

Fayt!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Too long since I drove a Previa. Can't comment on economy, anymore. Not much worse than the Camry, from what I recall.

The Alphard, in my experience and from relatives who own them (already two in our family... crazy) is more economical than an SUV and is decent to good on the highway. 10 km/l is easy if you're just cruising, if you really try, kaya pang mag-12-14 km/l (boring nga lang). In the city, whatever you'd expect of a V6 SUV, that's what you'll get. Slightly better, actually, because it's just FWD.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    much much worth it ang alphard kaysa previa. siguradong magustuhan nila yan specially the ride

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Too long since I drove a Previa. Can't comment on economy, anymore. Not much worse than the Camry, from what I recall.

The Alphard, in my experience and from relatives who own them (already two in our family... crazy) is more economical than an SUV and is decent to good on the highway. 10 km/l is easy if you're just cruising, if you really try, kaya pang mag-12-14 km/l (boring nga lang). In the city, whatever you'd expect of a V6 SUV, that's what you'll get. Slightly better, actually, because it's just FWD.
    Well that's a helluva lot better than the Tribute. Kinda makes my GS insecure. Hehehe! Sarap pang pormahan ng 20s! Stop! Hehehe! Sorry, got carried away by the idea. Thanks Niky.

Quote Originally Posted by dct View Post
    much much worth it ang alphard kaysa previa. siguradong magustuhan nila yan specially the ride
    Thanks. From the pix on autoindustriya and kotse, the Alphard does have that much space vs the Previa that's got a lower ceiling.

Alphard

Previa

Last edited by IMm29; February 15th, 2013 at 11:29 AM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If you have the money and do not mind the gas mileage, then get the Alphard V6. Being included in the JPEPA discount, it is more bang for your buck as compared to the 2.4L's. And then again, the 2.4L's give only slightly better FC but with a big difference in the performance department.

I'd leave the Previa alone as it is definitely too small for your purposes. I doubt you will be able to put much else besides the wheelchairs if all the seats are up.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Do note... My highway driving is with a light foot. Drive like hell for leather and you can expect 8s or 7s. bad trip lang, 180 kmh speed limiter. Andami pang ibubuga ng makina sana... Hehehe.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hehehe! I'm sure opening up that glorious V6 will produce those bad figures. But likewise for sure that would be a wonderful experience

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Anyone know of a dealership with either a Previa and/or Alphard on display? Or kahit not on display but with available units to show, just for inspection purposes?

Have asked Toyota Ortigas (E Rodriguez) and have been to Shaw. No such luck, kahit service unit.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    Anyone know of a dealership with either a Previa and/or Alphard on display? Or kahit not on display but with available units to show, just for inspection purposes?

Have asked Toyota Ortigas (E Rodriguez) and have been to Shaw. No such luck, kahit service unit.
    For the Previa, bets bet is to go check out a second hand unit. I saw a couple on Sulit and one's located in Mandaluyong. At least you know what to expect a few years from now.

Personally, i'd narrow it down to either Previa 2.4L or the Alphard V6. Previa because of the lower acquisition price. Go all-out na for the 3.5 if you're going Alphard.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    For the Previa, bets bet is to go check out a second hand unit. I saw a couple on Sulit and one's located in Mandaluyong. At least you know what to expect a few years from now.
    Well, that's a good point -- find out how it ages thru actual use. Though that's probably the only way to see a unit anyways. 3 months at least ang waiting time for an indent order.

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Personally, i'd narrow it down to either Previa 2.4L or the Alphard V6. Previa because of the lower acquisition price. Go all-out na for the 3.5 if you're going Alphard.
    Hehehe yeah I figured as much. Sulitin na. Though the Previa is already a big bad bite into the budget, the bite got bigger with the Alphard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast