New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Which do you think will I be better off with: a 97 Vitara (gas, matic) or a 97-something Pajero 3-door (diesel, matic). Both seem to be in the same price range (240k-300k). Diesel suggests "matipid." Vitara is 1.6L while Pajero is 2.5L (?). I also plan vehicle for long drives (say 1x or 2x a year). A penny for your thoughts please?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I own a Suzuki Vitara, no complaints so far. A 3 door pajero is an imported unit. It may or may not have been originally LHD, it may have been converted. Whereas, a 5 door vitara is LHD. Parts availability of vitaras are readily accessible. I don't know about 3 door pajeros. Both vehicles are offroad capable. It all boils down to what your needs are and what vehicle is more appealing to you. My 2 cents . . . .

3. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    After a lot of online research and your comment, I'm now gravitating towards the Vitara JLX. Thanks!

Another thing: is it true that one should prepare to spend another 20k (or so) for repairs, etc. after buying a second-hand vehicle?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the vitara has a door for the rear passenger while the paj doesn't. but diesel is more available in the provinces. just depends on where you're going.

if you want "matipid", why not install an LPG kit you'll be doing the environment a favor na rin

the 20k allowance is for fluid changes, minor (hopefully) repairs for little annoyances, and to add some personal touch to your ride ;)

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    thanks for the valuable info. i think with the pajero's 2.5 diesel and vitara's 1.6 petrol, they even out in terms of consumption. i really won't be doing much off-road driving anyway.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alandale76 View Post
    After a lot of online research and your comment, I'm now gravitating towards the Vitara JLX. Thanks!

Another thing: is it true that one should prepare to spend another 20k (or so) for repairs, etc. after buying a second-hand vehicle?
    Yup, prepare at least that amount, para meron kang allowance for repairs and other unforeseen problems. Nakuha mo na pala unit mo? Congrats pare.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mazingerZ View Post
    Yup, prepare at least that amount, para meron kang allowance for repairs and other unforeseen problems. Nakuha mo na pala unit mo? Congrats pare.
    not yet, i'm still in the market for it. i try to avoid those so-called "car fairs" because i'm pretty sure they pad fat margins on the owner's asking price. I'm open to suggestions...

Suzuki Pajero 3-Door or Suzuki Vitara JLX?