New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    In the absence of Subic imports, we could actually have Innova production located locally. What does that mean? Tax breaks for Toyota and 600k AUVs for everyone... now wouldn't that be nice?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    the innova is assembled locally

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    ^alwayz_yummy,
    Imo, to each his own.

But I do share the same sentiments of those espousing apprehension, if not downright rejection of Japanese Surplus vehicles. In Japan these surplus vehicles are for disposal already and due to the spiraling costs, junking these vehicles is unfeasible so the Japanese farm them out to enterprising individuals or people who auction them out to bidders from different countries. Due to limited space, the Japanese usually have to dispose of the units before they can upgrade to a newer one. Also the longer vehicles are used, the more pollutants they release in the environment, so to keep up with environmental laws in Japan, the vehicles would have to be retired after being used a certain period.

I looked inside a surplus Hi-Ace Super Custom recently. I admit the build quality seems a notch higher than the local produced one here. It definitely has some unique features that the local one will never have such as the cooler/refrigerator, 4WD system, power windows, automatic transmission, plush folding seats (unlike the bench type on the local one), rear speakers, front and rear parking sensors, etc... But I have some serious doubts about the safety and roadworthiness as a result of the conversion and how it will affect the vehicle's handling in the years to come. On the unit that I inspected, the conversion was very crude. The dashboard looks like its been smashed into pieces and put back together using glue. The automatic shifter is awkward bec. it cannot be converted at all so you better get used to shifting gears with your little pinky instead of your thumb. The driver power window switch has been transferred to the left door quite crudely, sticking out with the wires exposed. All of that is just scratching the surface. Who knows what kind of conversion they did with the (unseen) innards of the vehicles. Since our country or any country for that matter do NOT have the proper authority responsible for making sure everything (re: the conversion) is executed properly, so it just like gambling with your life and the life of your family when riding these vehicles.
    Last edited by number001; April 16th, 2006 at 08:36 AM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *carlo: realized that after i posted it, should've been Hiace or something else... but since I'm on a mobile phone, I can't edit... (which is also why my posts are divided -limited text interface.)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    mas ok na bilhin yun pinaglumaan ng pinoy kaysa pinaglumaan ng hapon

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by number001
    ^alwayz_yummy,
    Imo, to each his own.
    tama si sir number001,to each his own ,meron din naman kasi magaling magconvert from underchassis to interior,nakagamit din ako ng ilan taon pero wala ako naging problem sa naging convertion
    re old vehicle sia ganon din naman kung bibili ka din ng 2nd hand dito pero nilaspag naman ,swertehan na lang talaga ng pagbili (Subic)kung makahanap ka ng mejo sariwa or di masyado laspag...
    pero sa ngayon mukhang madami problem kung bibili doon sa Subic or Cebu mag kaproblem na yata sa registration or madalas masita sa road ng mga TMG
    abala din iyon
    IMO

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    mas ok na bilhin yun pinaglumaan ng pinoy kaysa pinaglumaan ng hapon
    agree ako dito.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    for safety reasons, i won't buy these vans because of the absence of passenger right side doors...why not consider a Subic Pajero with 4M40 engine...5 doors pa (my wish list) .

Then I'll bring my trusted mechanic to check the unit out. When I get the unit, I'll have it checked again, this time by Joseph (the pajero expert). The last but not the least - I shouldn't forget to maintain it - regular check-up, change oils, etc.

OT: just to help other interested Subic car buyers...anybody out there who already bought a Subic lemon??? i-share ninyo naman ang details at kung saang dealer ninyo nakuha so we will not go to this dealer. Likewise...dun sa mga nakabili ng mga Subic cars na medyo walang problema...please give us the dealer's name and address at dun kami pupunta.

We'd like to avoid the bad dealers who just want to make a fast buck and rake in big profits, sacrificing quality of labor and materials in the conversion process.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    spacegear ako. but id seriously consider some local secondhands within the price range.

walang masamang /pangit na sasakyan. nasa tao maghuhusga nyan..

at nasa tao din whether the ride is safe or not...hindi self maintaining ang mga sasakyan....

this is my theory.converted man,imported o kahit ano pa yan.may leon cars, pero kahit kailang di pwede ikumpara ang bago sa luma/gamit na!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subic van Hiace Super custom 3.0 or Mistubishi Spacegear exceed