New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico
    you'll be sorry if you get the vectra!!

it's one of gm phils' all-time lemon cars! search ka lang dito for the horror stories like the 150k transmission repair.

Haha. You think that is bad? How about my 2 year old FORD LYNX that had a failed A/T. Cost P185,000 for a transmission repair at FORD BALINTAWAK

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    well mr. edl, your avatar alone tells us something.

but i believe there really IS an "opel vectra lemon" thread here on this forum. i haven't found a "ford lynx lemon" thread yet..

it's like the chevy optra (also a *cough cough* GM product). a lot of people are happy with theirs. but comparing its reliability even to the hated ford lynx, i think most people will agree that the optra is more lemon-y.

of course anyone's mileage will vary. i'm sure you've got really good mileage out of your opel. but IN GENERAL i think most people will agree that the vectra is not that reliable given the price of the parts etc.

but it's no comparison to a sonata, yes. the sonata is probably unreliable too but has much cheaper parts.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you need space, there is a Zuk Esteem for sale near my place. Hehehe.

I'm not very much into Hyundai cars of that era as most current dealers don't stock parts for them. You can usually source them from third-parties, though.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    http://www.motioncars.com/archive/ca...w3/content.htm

a '98 vectra would probably cost in the 250k range nalang. the motioncars review says its sized more like a corolla than a camry or accord. cheaper new than a camry or accord either. for that price one can get a '96 accord. i'd take the accord.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i would agree with sir orly about the accord.. i really find it odd why you were choosing between the two cars mentioned, its like fixing something with a bigger problem ehehe.. an accord or galant would be better choices..also dont expect your consumption to be same as your city if you want a bigger engined car..

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    i'm learning a lot of things here... thanks a lot guys ... ur saving me a lot of problems here...

cguro by the end of the day, i'm not choosing na lang between the two and go for other options instead hehehe...

lamang ang negative comments ha... no more positive ones?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    err...
    in spite of my prior posts, i think the Vectra is by far the better car than the Sonata.

BUT: the Vectra comes with expensive maintenance. It IS a euro car after all. haven't seen any 2000 Sonata's at all. is this the Jaguar lookalike? ang alam ko maraming interchangeable parts yan sa Galant. still, pareho silang midsize.

1) the Vectra is nice, but has a bad reputation and expensive parts
    2) the Sonata is Korean, and not one of the newer ones, so build quality is probably below-par

for the indicated price (250k-ish?) yung Esteem nalang ni dr. OTEP! mga 180k lang yung 1997 na Esteem. and it has quite a lot of capacity. Ang alam ko a 1999 City 1.5 would also cost ~250k. ano yan, no-cash out tradein? if you want a midrange car in that price range, you'll end up with an OLDER car (e.g. 1996 Accord or maybe 1997 Galant). so definitely mas maraming problems yun.

i question whether it's wise to swap a 1999 city (honda.. reliable.. tipid..) for an older big car. maybe you should just forget it (or, add cash to get something better).

there was a 1999 626 on sale in buy & sell for 208k though. so halos same age dun sa City, and larger. but that resale value tells you something: the parts are expensive (but less than a Vectra.. hehe.. e.g. clutch master cylinder for 1200, clutch slave for 400.. but brake calipers are 5000+ each) and it's not as reliable as an Accord or Galant. i have a (much older) one and have spent about 100k for maintenance (!) over the past 25000 kilometers. ouchie.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    2000 Sonata ok din. Kaya lang bakit hindi ka kumuha ng ibang brand. Honda City?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    i had a Vectra before. Simply put: Dont buy it.

I think GM is the problem, yung local CASA. I had 2 friends with the same car and the same experience as me. No problem for 2 years but once you bring it in for service to GM, you'll come back every 2-3 months after that. Baka they have a quota for monthly repairs. Call it conspiracy theory but 3 of us have the same experience. Its like when you bring it in for repairs, they break something else and you'll be back for repairs after 2 months.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Sonata Vs. Vectra [and then some]