New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    I have a 1999 Honda City 1.5 Exi M/T (2nd owned). I opened it for swap for a larger vehicle (out of necessity) and have narrowed my options into two choices:

Option 1: A 2000 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 106km mileage, new tires, aircon newly repaired, engine and suspension ok, interior looks old, exterior average, all stock

Option 2: A 1998 Opel Vectra Sedan, 69k mileage, new tires, new compressor, all stock except 6 cd changer, engine and suspension ok, interior ok, exterior average

Both also 2nd owned. Vectra already registered, Sonata registration in June.

Please help me decide. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i would opt for the vectra gusto ko kasi ang features. even the engine of the vectra is impressive. my former boss swapped his honda city for the vectra and he was really happy with it. nagtataka lang ako at bakit 69K lang ang nasa odo nung vectra???

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A lot of city users don't travel very far, so it is quite possible for a 98 to have only 69,000 km.

I don't really like either as a secondhand choice, but the Vectra is a good looking and powerful car, and possibly the better choice of the two... baka nga lang mang-aray ka sa gas, coming from a 1.5.

How about an Altima? Good engine on that one.

Not considering any 1.4 - 1.6 compacts? The Sentra/Civic/Lancer/Lynx/Corolla/etcetera are all a size up on the Lynx and won't eat up your gas budget (as long as you get an MT) unduly.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    thanks for the comments sir jim and niky... one concern really is the gas consumption... kaya lang diba u really have to sacrifice something to have larger space (except of course if diesel ang kukunin ko). I prefer kasi not adding cash at mejo bago pa ung model, so i narrowed my choices into these.

any other comments/advise?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i've been hearing a lot of bad things about opels sold here. bad dealership, bad product quality, etc etc. i can't cite references either. maybe it's because opels sold here are made in china? again, no reference, just word of mouth so don't flame me re: racial bias ect ect.

that said, i'd still go for the vectra.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    does it make a lot of difference if the vectra is a 4-cyl compared to a 6-cyl in terms of gas consumption? my city kasi is around 12-15 km/l, as compared to the vectra at 8-9 km/l (accdg to the trader)... in terms of PPP, hm much is the difference in gas consumption?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    low maintenance but reliable car? go for a corolla. madami ka nga kapareho sa kalye pero di ka iiyak when it's time to replace major components hehe

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    you'll be sorry if you get the vectra!!

it's one of gm phils' all-time lemon cars! search ka lang dito for the horror stories like the 150k transmission repair.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    8-9 is lucky... just ask those of us who have 2 liter midsize cars. You're looking at 7 km/l for an MT and 6 km/l for an AT in urban conditions.

And yes, Opel maintenance is something of a headache, it being a GM car.

Like I said, there are better choices out there, but ALL midsizers in your apparent price range will cost you quite a bit in terms of maintenance.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    What an unfair comparison naman? SONATA? it is not in the same league. Di ba Korean car yon?

Are you ready for OPEL???

read our threads under CAR CLUBS-- OPEL. And if you get it, you will learn alot about it from us.
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...1&page=1&pp=10

The Vectra is a good car but it is not perfect.

Since napalitan na yung compressor, then that saves you already. It is prone to break after about 6 years max. OEM cost about P28,000. But any DENSO compressor can work. Even surplus.

Another thing to look out for is if it is Tropicalized. most 1998 vectras overheat. But it can easily be repaired by having a modified thermostat and a very clean cooling system.

Anyway, a VECTRA is not your typical car since owning it requires dedication and a special breed of car owner.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Sonata Vs. Vectra [and then some]