New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    Ikaw Niky ha, kinakalimutan mo ride ko! hehehe. Is that madness na crazy o madness na di siya ang may ari? hahaha. BTW, did you ever find out about the VBOX times ng FXT at Impreza WRX -- bakit lumalabas na mabilis pa ang FXT? The prodrive tranny's the best I've used na non-CVT but I don't think it's as good as a manual!?
    C! Magazine doesn't "launch" cars. Kumbaga... gentle 2000 rpm launch lang sila.

But I have a feeling this varies from editor to editor. It might be that some of the younger or brasher guys may actually say "WTH" and just drop it to see what time they can get.

In my comparisons, I've noted that their AT times seem spot on, sometimes a bit fast (maybe they test in cooler weather than me), while their MT times are about a second or two off what a car can do, simply because you can't torque brake a manual without hurting the clutch, and dropping the clutch at just 2000 rpm elicits a bog that makes the time even slower.

----

RE: madness... the car itself is pure madness... the doc who owns the car is nuts... in a good way. Nakakainggit ung FXT set-up niya!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    simply because you can't torque brake a manual without hurting the clutch, and dropping the clutch at just 2000 rpm elicits a bog that makes the time even slower.
    You're hurting the clutch either way. But, I'm wondering how do you torque brake a M/T? I have only 2 feet . I have pretty good reflexes. But, apparently not my feet when inside a car.

Torque brake is normally used with A/T. If the car's FWD or RWD, then the worst off will be the tires due to the wheelspin. If it's an AWD car, then it's the AWD system that's being abused since it's pretty hard to get wheelspin with AWD cars at a complete stop unless you have an insane amount of hp on tap. The stress has to go somewhere.

Add:

Oh yeah. I remember you asking at what RPMs do I chirp the tires of my Sonata at. I can't remember what I answered back then. But, I had a chance to actually glance at the tach when I did a takeoff recently. It was at 3000 rpm. Looking at the car specs, that's only about 500 rpm from the 226 lb-ft max torque. The tires just chirp a little. The car lunges forward and I'm pressed to the seat. A little more gas and the tires simply spin in place.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 19th, 2008 at 05:45 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Also for the original question....... Obviously, Hondas have high resale values. I'd go with an Accord sedan for smoothness.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *niky
    Never mind. I was thinking of brake launch. Started my beer guzzling a little early.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I meant you can't torque brake... period. It'll fry the clutch.

But you can pre-tension the drivetrain against the handbrake... rev to your launch rpm, let off the clutch the tiniest bit, till it starts to catch, then drop the brake and the clutch at the same time... should give you less hop and a smoother take off.

3000 rpm? You have an AT, right? Wow... what's your torque-converter's lock-up rpm?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    C! Magazine doesn't "launch" cars. Kumbaga... gentle 2000 rpm launch lang sila.

But I have a feeling this varies from editor to editor. It might be that some of the younger or brasher guys may actually say "WTH" and just drop it to see what time they can get.

In my comparisons, I've noted that their AT times seem spot on, sometimes a bit fast (maybe they test in cooler weather than me), while their MT times are about a second or two off what a car can do, simply because you can't torque brake a manual without hurting the clutch, and dropping the clutch at just 2000 rpm elicits a bog that makes the time even slower.

----

RE: madness... the car itself is pure madness... the doc who owns the car is nuts... in a good way. Nakakainggit ung FXT set-up niya!

What does torque brake mean? Yang trackday ba yung kasama si Gaby?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I meant you can't torque brake... period. It'll fry the clutch.

But you can pre-tension the drivetrain against the handbrake... rev to your launch rpm, let off the clutch the tiniest bit, till it starts to catch, then drop the brake and the clutch at the same time... should give you less hop and a smoother take off.

3000 rpm? You have an AT, right? Wow... what's your torque-converter's lock-up rpm?
    I have no idea what the exact lock-up rpm is on my car. But, it has to be somewhere below 3k rpm. By the time I glanced at the tach (at the point the car lunged forward), it's at 3k and climbing. I thought I glanced at it quick enough. Now that I'm thinking back hours later.... I dunno.

A brake launch might give me a clue. But, I have yet to attempt one.

I was also watching a friend's older V6 Eclipse GT on the next lane. So, my attention was kind of divided. We figured we'd have a little fun on the way home before the kids with their fast cars show up. But, I did remember your name (while waiting for green) because you asked something about this a while back. He He.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 19th, 2008 at 04:59 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Ang layo na natin sa topic hahaha

If price were no object, I'd recommend the Audi A6 3.2TDI Quattro as a smooth-riding car. It's cushy at low speed, but it doesn't become clumsy or floaty as speeds rise as it firms up accordingly.

The only obstacle would be training your/your driver's right foot from burying itself into the floorboard, because this thing has serious grunt that comes from out of nowhere. Gentle throttle inputs will make for very smooth progress though.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Ang layo na natin sa topic hahaha

If price were no object, I'd recommend the Audi A6 3.2TDI Quattro as a smooth-riding car. It's cushy at low speed, but it doesn't become clumsy or floaty as speeds rise as it firms up accordingly.

The only obstacle would be training your/your driver's right foot from burying itself into the floorboard, because this thing has serious grunt that comes from out of nowhere. Gentle throttle inputs will make for very smooth progress though.
    I apologize. I too get carried away sometimes.

The A6 seems to fit the bill for the thread starter. A fairly quick diesel luxury sedan. But, isn't it much heavier with less hp than both the Camry V6 and Accord V6, not to mention it costs much more?

I mean the prestige factor would be awesome. It is a luxury Euro sedan after all. But, I prefer the V8 A6. If I'm going to pay for an expensive car, I might as well get all the goods.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    add the Kia Carnival/Sedona to the list.

I was able to test drive the Carnival last week and...wow! Ride is plush, soft and quiet.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Smooth riding vehicles???