New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    We are going to buy a new car, the budget is P 900k and will not go over this. The car will be used as a daily driver, around 20 kms one way of light traffic and highway driving, car pooling with my wife. Our current car is a 2001 Ford Lynx Ghia which has served us very well. Our only fixed conditions are we want to maximize the P 900k budget and the car will be AT. Preferences are fuel economy and reliability.

Did a little research and we've narrowed down to these candidates, with the sticker prices:

1. Toyota Altis 1.6L G, P 894k
    2. Ford Fiesta 1.6L Sport, P 816k
    3. Mazda 3 V 4dr, P 895k
    4. Honda Jazz 1.5 V, P 857k
    5. Ford Focus Trend 5dr, P 879k

Found out that the Lancer EX GLS currently has a big discount making it just under P 900k, the only drawback is the 2.0L engine which would give a lower FC rating.

These are all at the same price range, so any difference can be balanced by the other additional charges. So the comparison will be based on features only. May I request for your first hand experiences with these cars and why you have made it your choice. Thanks a lot for the help.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Lancer EX GLS is priced at P895,000 after discounts (cash).

In light city traffic and highway, you can achieve fuel economy figures of 9 to 12 km/L. Among your choices, only the Fiesta and Jazz can exceed this but you sacrifice on either ride comfort or interior space.

Driving this car is effortless. A light pedal pressure is all you need to start the car to move and accelerate. With the CVT tranny, there is no gear shifts you can feel.

Interior is spacious and comfortable. The only downside is the fake wood trim on the dashboard (but you can have it either painted or stickered to look better).

The car itself looks great and sporty. The ride comfort is extremely smooth, not much can match in the same price level.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; March 24th, 2011 at 10:14 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Among the five choices I'd pick either the Altis 1.6G or the Jazz 1.5V. IMHO, I find the rest either too old (focus, MZ3), too slow (MZ3), or the looks are not my taste (Fiesta). The Altis 1.6G is now more worth buying (if you're not after speed, that is) due to the upgrades with the engine (13 more hp) which gives it similar power output as the new Accent (sarcastic ba? you can decide. ) as well as the availablility of a 6 speed M/T, and also sportier looks after the facelift.

The Jazz is like a mini-MPV, you can fit just about anything in there! The handling and engine performance is excellent.

I would suggest you look into 2nd hand cars as well. You can get much more for 900k. I suggest you look for diesels. Here are some suggestions: Kia Carens CRDi, Hyundai Starex GRX CRDi, Hyundai Santa Fe CRDi, Kia Sorento CRDi, Kia Carnival CRDi.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    1. Lancer EX GLS
    2. Toyota Altis

You can't go wrong with these 2...in my case I'm also considering the resale value of the vehicle, as well as the internal space...which you might need since this will be your daily drive...and I'm assuming...weekend ride as well.

You didn't mention if you have kids...if you do have kids..they've got to sit somewhere, right?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by loverlionus View Post
    Mazda 3 V 4dr, P 895k
    Ford Focus Trend 5dr, P 879k

These two gives the lower fuel milage of the group.

Mazda3 1.6V gets 8km/L but in the city, expect 6 to 7 km/L. The heavy body matched with the small engine just isn't a good combination. The ride quality for this car is stiff to sporty, not good if you want comfort.

Focus 1.8L Trend gets 8.5km/L. Tight interior. Firm ride quality.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I'd pick the Toyota Altis.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    If your after good Fuel Consumption and Reliability, my top pick among your choices is:

HONDA JAZZ 1.5V

Mainly for the following reasons:
    1. Great fuel Economy , I test drove it and registered 11Km/L with uphill and city driving.
    2. ULT Seats. They completely fold flat making you stuff in absolutely anything inside your Jazz. I estimate atleast 2 balikbayan boxes will fit. You never know when you'll need that extra space. And none of the other competitions have this.
    3. Great new look with the new 2011 Honda Jazz coming out.
    4. Honda reliability, great engine (very efficient and smooth) and good resale value.

My advise, test drive each and choose what you feel is best for you.

Though, I thought a Lancer EX GLS is around 1M for AT , How did it become under 900k? I love the look of this car and was wondering how the price went down hehe

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I'll go for the Jazz 1.5, since your after fuel economy & reliability

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Toyota Corolla Altis ako dito para sayo at sa situation mo. Pwede rin Jazz, pero mukang pang bata same with the Fiesta mas pang bata. The Altis is more mature, perfect for you and your wife...

Ok din yung Lancer, kaso one thing I am skeptical about Mitsubishi is the quality in the long run of their passenger cars. I used to have a pizza Lancer (yeah I know its not related to the current one) and that thing just sucks. Suspension is kalampagin and had to visit the dealer almost ever 3 months... I just don't trust them yet...

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I would suggest you look into 2nd hand cars as well. You can get much more for 900k. I suggest you look for diesels. Here are some suggestions: Kia Carens CRDi, Hyundai Starex GRX CRDi, Hyundai Santa Fe CRDi, Kia Sorento CRDi, Kia Carnival CRDi.
    Ingat ka baka may magwala nanaman sasabihin sinisingit nanaman ang Korean cars. Baka matawag ka pa Hyundai fangay hahahahaha :hysterical: :gayfight:

BTT: Lancer EX GLS A/T ang para sa'yo. Hehe

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Please help us choose a new car