New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    For fuel efficiency, the Dmax also gets the vote.
    The Strada has a smaller bed but it offers family comfort and ease of maintenance parts (4D56 derived CRDi)
    The Hilux is too expensive.
    The Navarra parts can be quite expensive, low-ground clearance, bouncy ride but I think has the biggest bed capacity.
    The New Ranger is also coming this July. It has the biggest bed, smallest displacement yet yielding the same power of the bigger competitor engines. It's a 2.2 so you probably save more of motor oil but I don't think Ford PMS is also cheap.

1. low-high offroading. from rocky to muddy terrain. HILUX > RANGER > STRADA > DMAX > NAVARRA, my opinion
    2. cargo. sacks of fertilizers, seedlings, farming equipments, etc New Ranger > HILUX > DMAX > NAVARRA > Old RANGER > STRADA
    3. decent. will be used as family car also. STRADA > NAVARRA
    4. fuel efficiency.DMAX >/= New Ranger > STRADA, almost the same naman hehehe...
    5. soft/smooth ride. STRADA :bow:

My 2 cents
    I agree here. The Dmax is a good bet for the all around workhorse based on what my friends in the province use and it has decent space for people at the back seat. On serious off-roadability, this is somewhat suspect though since i rarely see any Isuzus used for such purposes. The Strada is more for family use primarily. Personally, i would get the Hilux 3.0L 4x4 with a manual transmission; good suspension (can take up a beating pretty well), it can be used off-road with some decent mods which are readily available (lift, differential lock, and good a/t or m/t tires), and it offers good rear bed space.

Perhaps you would have to weigh your priorities more before you decide. Off-roading capability ba? Pang-hakot? Or pang pamilya? At least you know the strengths of each pick-up as listed by the others.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    New Ranger sir kaso July pa available. Pero kung gusto mo talaga durable and built to last, wala nang tatalo sa Dmax. Pwede din Hilux.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBRONghini6 View Post
    New Ranger sir kaso July pa available. Pero kung gusto mo talaga durable and built to last, wala nang tatalo sa Dmax. Pwede din Hilux.
    Hmmm... I think it's the other way around...

Kung gusto mo talaga durable and built to last, wala nang tatalo sa Hilux. Pwede din DMax.

iam3739.com

4. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    Hmmm... I think it's the other way around...

Kung gusto mo talaga durable and built to last, wala nang tatalo sa Hilux. Pwede din DMax.

Pag pang harabas, ung bare na Dmax sir, walang gaanong electricals. Kahit saan pwede isabak. Kung off-road capability, hilux or Ranger pero kung pang heavy duty wala tatalo sa Dmax.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    old school diesels sa tingin ko ang the best lalo na sa malayong probinsya. mas madali ang maintenance and repair.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerpanda View Post
    The current (old) ranger is pretty much the same as the new one in terms of cabin space. Sobrang sikip po talaga, eh hindi nga ako maka sakay ng maayos sa likod eh! and im only 5'8.

Im leaning towards the strada 2.5L 4x4 MT because it is the best middle ground between workhorse and everyday use.
    Ive also driven one pero ung 3.2 model through both muddy and rocky terrain and it's a really nice ride.

the hilux and dmax is too bumpy for me, kahit kargado. even when driving, i feel nauseous. haha.

siguro nga i'll get the strada nalang. any pros and cons for the strada aside from the bed space (lack of it) ?
    Yung 3.2L Strada maganda for your purpose since it has lots of torque down low where you need it the most. The 2.5L Strada uses the old 4D56 engine retrofitted with CRDi and VGT. The basic design of the engine is still the same, and it is still noisy and has the highest tendency to emit black smoke among the modern CRDi engines in this class. The Strada is known to be less capable off road as compared to it's more hardcore rivals. And then, the Strada is notorious for it's high maintenance cost. If you can live with those however, it should serve you well as a good family vehicle/cargo hauler.

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    Even the outgoing Ford Ranger XLT will already do you justice. 3.0TDCi DuraTorq engine with a whopping 380NM of torque starting at 1,600rpm in a flat torque plateau.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    my usage would likely be 20% hauling 30% offroad 50% city driving. so kailangan ko talaga medyo balanced lahat. though primarily it is for work use, need ko din kasi na desente tingnan for the family.

-the hilux is quite pricey for me, esp since im considering the AT variant as well. pero top 1 choice ko talaga.
    -the dmax is a total turn off for me kasi ang casa dito sa davao sobrang bad service. automatic no ako dito.
    -the ranger 4x4 sana pero a new one is coming out and ayaw ko muna bumili ng first release kc di pa subok, baka may kinks pa na aayusin. can anyone give me a feed back about the current (old) 4x4 ranger AT?
    -the strada nga daw is quite high maintenance and medyo maliit ang bed space. pero gusto ko interior and exterior nya and ang ganda ng legroom. number 2 on my list.
    -the navara brute is nice sana pero ang ground clearance masyadong mababa. and ang mahal ng pyesa. pero macho talaga tingnan and kahit low-end version, maganda pa rin ang interior. number 3.

im planning to buy by may or early june.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The current (old) ranger is pretty much the same as the new one in terms of cabin space. Sobrang sikip po talaga, eh hindi nga ako maka sakay ng maayos sa likod eh! and im only 5'8.
    The new Ranger has a bigger seat, but that's coming in July. They sacrificed some of the Ranger's outstanding bed space to make the seat bigger, though. Still not as small as the Strada, but not as big as the Navara's anymore.

my usage would likely be 20% hauling 30% offroad 50% city driving. so kailangan ko talaga medyo balanced lahat. though primarily it is for work use, need ko din kasi na desente tingnan for the family.

-the hilux is quite pricey for me, esp since im considering the AT variant as well. pero top 1 choice ko talaga.
    -the dmax is a total turn off for me kasi ang casa dito sa davao sobrang bad service. automatic no ako dito.
    -the ranger 4x4 sana pero a new one is coming out and ayaw ko muna bumili ng first release kc di pa subok, baka may kinks pa na aayusin. can anyone give me a feed back about the current (old) 4x4 ranger AT?
    -the strada nga daw is quite high maintenance and medyo maliit ang bed space. pero gusto ko interior and exterior nya and ang ganda ng legroom. number 2 on my list.
    -the navara brute is nice sana pero ang ground clearance masyadong mababa. and ang mahal ng pyesa. pero macho talaga tingnan and kahit low-end version, maganda pa rin ang interior. number 3.

im planning to buy by may or early june.
    -The issue with the Hilux is how the finicky Denso pump reacts to fuel quality in the provinces. I've heard of some issues from owners way out in CDO. Very good cargo capacity, good engines. If you get the 2.5, it's slow, but economical. The updated versions finally get rear LSD, which should help off-road, but the Hilux is already decently capable in this regard. Ride sucks, but the trade-off is good cargo capacity.

-If you want a workhorse, as in... purely for work, the basic D-Max comes with the slow but extremely reliable 4JA1T. A smokey motor, but fuel economy and ruggedness are assured. Who needs dealership support when you have a tractor motor under the hood?

The direct-injection motors, on the other hand, are some of the most economical there are, but I don't know much about their reliability.

-The current Ranger 4x4 AT, as you said... back seat sucks (but it's bearable for smaller passengers). Bed space is huge, and off-road capabilities are perhaps the best in the class, with a stout locking center differential and a capable rear LSD. Water-fording and flood-survival are also higher than any other modern truck out there. Handling and power are some of the best in the class, and the 3.0 AT, despite having "only" 158 hp can give the 174 hp Navara a run for its money. The ride is ungodly stiff, though. Nice toy, work truck and excellent off-roader... but a terrible "family car".

-Strada, probably the most civil and best family car. Great motor, too. But if you need to carry more than four or five hundred kilos in the bed, maybe not a good choice. The suspension is way too soft.

-Navara, good truck. I'd worry about the reaction of the fuel system to fuel quality, though, and the durability of that AC compressor. The operation of the AC is not very smooth (big "clunk" when compressor turns on). Low ground clearance is a worry for off-roading, but as we found out here:

2008 Nissan Frontier Navara (D40) 4WD | 4x4 Philippines
    Welcome to Bigbigcar.com

That low ride height might be a liability in terms of rock-climbing, but on your basic off-road or muddy trail, it's not a big deal. Didn't get high-centered, not even once. And the 4x4 system was decent when climbing a muddy slope. Our trail driver kept killing the engine when shifting, though. Stiff clutch, but not any worse than Strada. And the bed is huuuuge.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

-The current Ranger 4x4 AT, as you said... back seat sucks (but it's bearable for smaller passengers). Bed space is huge, and off-road capabilities are perhaps the best in the class, with a stout locking center differential and a capable rear LSD. Water-fording and flood-survival are also higher than any other modern truck out there. Handling and power are some of the best in the class, and the 3.0 AT, despite having "only" 158 hp can give the 174 hp Navara a run for its money. The ride is ungodly stiff, though. Nice toy, work truck and excellent off-roader... but a terrible "family car".
    power to weight ratio? gearing? what factor?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Pick-up suited for farming and everyday use.