New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi!

Early this year, I thought I'd have about Php 1.3 Million as budget for a new car. However, I've since found out that I'm down to Php 1 Million.

Non-negotiables: Automatic transmission

For SUVs, it looks like my choices will be limited to:

1. Hyundai Tucson Theta II 2.0 GL 2WD AT (Php 1,038,000);
    2. Ford Escape 2.3 XLS 4x2 AT (Php 1,050,000);

As an alternative, I will consider hatchback sedans (though I'd prefer an SUV as I'm coming from a RAV4-SV). Here are my choices:

1. Ford Focus 2.0 Sport 5dr AT (Php 925,000);
    2. Mazda 3 2.0 R AT (Php 1,044,000);

Your suggestions? Any other alternatives I can consider such as the Mitsubishi Strada 2.5 GLX-V which is at Php 1,040,000?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    tucson is the better choice, more bells and whistles compared to the other choices better looks too

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyLover View Post
    tucson is the better choice, more bells and whistles compared to the other choices better looks too
    +1, the Ford Escape is simply too old already.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Mazda3 is the most loaded. Sunroof, leather, 17" mags, still a great looking, modern interior. Sporty handling and drive. Getting a bit long in the tooth, but a fanastic bargain at its price compared to similarly loaded cars, which cost 100 - 200k pesos more.

The Focus is the most refined of that group (and yes, I've driven all of them, including the 2WD 6AT 2.0 Tucson), with the best sound insulation, the most solid feel and the best combination of ride and handling. (in other words, stiff enough to feel stable, supple enough to not give you a stomachache over bumps. It also handles better than the Mazda3, but don't let anyone know I told you that. If I recall, the 2.0 gas variant has the sunroof and the leather-cloth seat combo (leather on the sides, cloth in the middle for grip... like the VW Golf GTi), as well as rear AC, but I'm not quite sure. It may not look it on the outside, but the Focus is pretty well equipped inside.

The Escape is the most metal-for-the-money. Old? Hell yes, it's old. But it has more interior space than the Tucson, a bigger back seat, and a waffly, comfortable ride. There's enough torque to motor along despite the archaic four-speed gearbox, and this version is much more fuel efficient than early 2.0 models. A friend just bought one brand new. He wanted a Tucson, but with a baby and the associated stroller/bottle bag/diaper bag/car seat and etcetera, as well as his bike, he needed the space. Did he know what he was getting into? Hell yes. His dad had the exact same Escape model (but a 2007-2008 one), he's driven our CR-V and he's driven our other friend's Tucson 2WD. Perfectly happy with his choice.

The Tucson is probably what you'll end up buying after test-driving everything. It's almost (but not quite) as sporty in feel as a car, the ride is actually pretty decent... stiffer than the Escape but not painfully stiff... and it is not as prone to bottoming out as the top-of-the-line diesel with the adaptive suspension. The interior and exterior looks are very reminiscent of the Mazda3 (which is a good thing) and while it's not the most spacious crossover, it's comfortable enough. Fuel economy with the 6AT is phenomenal, almost as good as the CR-V 2.0 5AT (it might be better, but I've never had both cars on the same route).

Test-drive, test-drive, test-drive. Then look at cars that aren't on your list. There are some interesting cars out there... CR-V 2.0 5AT, stiff-ish, with stiff seats, but amazingly frugal for the size. Still the biggest interior and trunk in the class. Lancer... great CVT. Small trunk. But great CVT and good handling. Biggest front seats in the class. Cruze... good car... though I don't like the 6AT. Sentra... best CVT ever. Okay, plastics suck, but it's got a big interior, a big trunk, a great CVT and a fuel-efficient 2.0.

Lots of choices. Try to consider those that you didn't consider before and you might be surprised.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

I think the CRV and X-Trail are out of my price range. I will check out the Lancer as the ASX is likewise beyond my price range. I'm not interested in the Sentra at all.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The 2.0L non CVT Xtrail is also around P1M only. The CVT ones are the above P1.3M. The 2.0L Sportage is around P1.1M so maybe you can stretch your budget a little.

Quote Originally Posted by sachiel View Post
    The 2.0L non CVT Xtrail is also around P1M only. The CVT ones are the above P1.3M. The 2.0L Sportage is around P1.1M so maybe you can stretch your budget a little.
    I checked the Kia website and it says there that the price of the Sportage "starts" at Php 1.158M. I'm not aware of the variants yet, but if there's an MT variant, this should be it. Would love to have this as one of the options but the AT variant will likely cost more than Php 1.158 (I'd be happy to be wrong about this ). But will check with the dealers na din, to be sure.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Here in the Philippines, its best to have more ground clearance since floods and bad roads are very commonplace. If you require a very solid build and lots of space, the Escape is for you. The underpinnings are undoubtedly built Ford tough and off road worthy. Performance may not be first rate but still liveable. Our family has one in Taiwan (2010 black 2.3XLS) and I'm told it gets more or less 8-10km/L city, though that may not be a very accurate comparison due to the big difference in traffic conditions here and there. But we basically understand what it gets in light city traffic with a comparably heavy foot. We have a 2003 2.0XLT here too. As expected, there's not much power and gas mileage is bad. But its very comfortable and spacious and has withstood years of abuse. The chassis has gone through thick and thin and is still alive today and hasn't complained a bit since it was bought 2nd hand last 2007.

But if you want an up to date ride with good performance and sleek looks, then the Tucson is your choice.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by April_Ryan

I checked the Kia website and it says there that the price of the Sportage "starts" at Php 1.158M. I'm not aware of the variants yet, but if there's an MT variant, this should be it. Would love to have this as one of the options but the AT variant will likely cost more than Php 1.158 (I'd be happy to be wrong about this ). But will check with the dealers na din, to be sure.
    Only 2 available, 4x2 and 4x4 ung 1.158 yan ung 4x2, 1.258 naman 4x4

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi
    Here in the Philippines, its best to have more ground clearance since floods and bad roads are very commonplace. If you require a very solid build and lots of space, the Escape is for you. The underpinnings are undoubtedly built Ford tough and off road worthy. Performance may not be first rate but still liveable. Our family has one in Taiwan (2010 black 2.3XLS) and I'm told it gets more or less 8-10km/L city, though that may not be a very accurate comparison due to the big difference in traffic conditions here and there. But we basically understand what it gets in light city traffic with a comparably heavy foot. We have a 2003 2.0XLT here too. As expected, there's not much power and gas mileage is bad. But its very comfortable and spacious and has withstood years of abuse. The chassis has gone through thick and thin and is still alive today and hasn't complained a bit since it was bought 2nd hand last 2007.

But if you want an up to date ride with good performance and sleek looks, then the Tucson is your choice.
    I previously owned an Escape for 5 years, sold it and bought a Tucson... Walang naging major problem ang Escape, just minor and lately lang maingay na ung stab link... Mas maluwag ang cargo ng escape pero I think mas maluwag pa ng konti ung rear passenger legroom ng tucson... And mas comfy ang ride ng tucson.... Concern ko lang ngayon sa Escape may popular thread ngayon sa Escapezone na Nag stall ang Escape pag over 1 foot na baha... Meron daw air resonator located under the bumper dami ng may issue, luma o bago.. Sabi din ng friend ko sa insurance dami ring claim.... Dami ngang asar sa escapezone, sana lang maayos ng ford ito..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Php 1M: Tucson, Escape, Focus, Mazda 3?