New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sientobente View Post
    "mine has cruise control, reverse camera, rear AC vents(only the Sorento and CRV has these I believe), lever for tumbling-down rear seats easily, MID LCD, programmable lighting and door lock settings etc."
    CX-5 also has these except for the rear AC Vents and programmable lighting.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by germs View Post
    CX-5 also has these except for the rear AC Vents and programmable lighting.
    the cx-5 really offered good value at that time and i like it's yojin3 program. the deal breaker for me why i didn't choose the cx-5 was the rear leg space. my line of work involves me to work part time as a driver and a GRO for foreign clients lol. this was also why the rear AC vents were a plus.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    OT:

Nagtataka ako sa inyo. Why is it that you people associate AWD with off roading kaagad.

Yes, in a way IT IS needed in off roading. But AWD (4WD) is also useful in situations wherein an ordinary 2WD SUV/CUV would burn rubber (glorious amounts of it) not to mention slipping and sliding, if just to climb a wet off ramp, say of a basement or elevated parking lot.

I've seen it before. Hence my decision to a 4WD SUV.

BTT:

I'd get the Subbie.

Too bad wala sila diesel.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Climbing a wet ramp isn't such a big deal in a FWD car. Even on an incline, the weight of the engine rests mainly on the drive wheels, giving you good traction. It's rear wheel drive cars with light rear ends (like low sedans, sports cars and most 4x2 pick-ups) that have a really hard time on ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    As someone who's driven both FWD and AWD vehicles in snowy winters, AWD makes a huge difference. AWD tend to have less slippage. AWD also makes it easier to deal with centrifugal forces while negotiating a curved road/or turn* (on a snow-covered road).

Of course, conditions are different in the PH. But, I imagine hydroplaning can be similar to snow on the road. AWD can come in handy even with 4-banger engines.

*If you like to drift, it's a thrill to see a FWD car lose traction on a turn. It's always a gamble whether you'll stay on the road or the centrifugal forces force your car to go off-road.... or into oncoming traffic. Either way, you'll get a few more gray hairs.
    Hydroplaning, you tend to go straight on in a FWD crossover... not quite as dangerous as a RWD car. The big issue for Philippine users is mud... you won't get as much traction with FWD... but then, most crossovers don't have the tires to take on mud, anyway.
    Last edited by niky; November 27th, 2014 at 10:25 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Hydroplaning, you tend to go straight on in a FWD crossover... not quite as dangerous as a RWD car. The big issue for Philippine users is mud... you won't get as much traction with FWD... but then, most crossovers don't have the tires to take on mud, anyway.
    It's the same with packed snow and ice. The car continues to go in a straight line instead of making the turn, resulting in the car straying off the road. I'm lucky to have never been in that spot. But, I had a few close calls during my first winter in NY.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I have had my share of winters in Upstate New York and in the western suburbs of Chicago. My scariest experience was when I lost traction with an 1997 Exped. The AWD was switched on but there was dry snow in the road. All the wheels were already covered with snow and the big hulking truck was sliding forward. I kept my calm, kept trying to control the truck and veered it away from the car in front of me. The big truck lurched into the side of the road and into the ditch. The truck automatically switched from AWD setting into 4x4 and the truck keep moving on into a mixture of dry snow and mud until it lost its forward momentum. Thank goodness! My wife, daughter, and I escaped a sure pile-up of cars if I didn't have the wits to veer the truck to the ditch. I do miss that old truck and the usefulness of its AWD in snow. However, AWD will not help you in dry snow and black ice as you lost all traction.
    Last edited by Egan101; November 28th, 2014 at 05:08 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I have had my share of winters in Upstate New York and in the western suburbs of Chicago. My scariest experience was when I lost traction with an 1997 Exped. The AWD was switched on but there was dry snow in the road. All the wheels were already covered with snow and the big hulking truck was sliding forward. I kept my calm, kept trying to control the truck and veered it away from the car in front of me. The big truck lurched into the side of the road and into the ditch. The truck automatically switched from AWD setting into 4x4 and the truck keep moving on into a mixture of dry snow and mud until it lost its forward momentum. Thank goodness! My wife, daughter, and I escaped a sure pile-up of cars if I didn't have the wits to veer the truck to the ditch. I do miss that old truck and the usefulness of its AWD in snow. However, AWD will not help you in dry snow and black ice as you lost all traction.
    AWD is helpful in snow or ice.....only when you have the right tires. Studded tires and AWD for Alaska that's for sure.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    If you ca afford 2 cars, maganda yung isa ay AWD/4WD para sa out of town trips na possible dumaan sa challenging roads. Sa city driving, puwede na sedan, CUV etc na 2WD lang(FWD or RWD does not matter much).

Pero kung isa lang kasi, better get the one that can get you where you wanted to go.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Nothing beats taking both out for test drives. What killed the Subie for me are the ride quality, cvt feel and look of the front end. The Subie boxer 2.0 felt like it had more usable torque down low (potential for good FC) but the full time awd should cancel any fuel savings you get with the engine. In "I" mode the transmission sometimes bounced us back and forth a bit in slow acceleration.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sientobente View Post
    my only problem is the CRV has an ugly rear when you look at it head on. the rear quarter view though does not look bad at all
    I happen to like the CRV rear end, it looks unique and gives a lot more space in the boot than CUVs with sleeker roof lines in the rear. For me it's one of the better looking offerings in this segment.

TS:
    The 2 cars have a lot of features that are unique. From memory the Subie has auto leveling rear suspension and breakaway engine (goes down instead of into the cabin during a crash). The Nissan has active ride control and active trace control.

I still have the brochure somewhere.. It doesn't show all the features though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
New Nissan Xtrail 4x2 vs Subaru Forester 2.0L