New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    I need your opinions regarding this dilemma:

Due to us having a newborn baby, I believe we need to have a car in cases of emergency and for the comfort of the baby. That said, I cannot take in a new car due to monthly cashflow constraints and relative value for money (i have a finance background kaya kuripot hehehe) hence I am looking at the used car market.

Usage would be mostly city driving with out of town or province visits at 2 times a month. At around 500k budget, I'm looking at either 2014 or 2015 Mirage G4 or 2009 2010 Subaru Forester. I know it's not an apple to apple comparison but the rationale for these are as follows:

For Mirage G4:

Fuel efficient (compared to Vios and other subcompacts)
    Cheap to maintain
    Few years used (less wear and tear)

Concern:

Safety of car in case of accident (especially rear seat occupants)
    Space constraints (baby stuffs)
    Shocks seem too stiff

For Forester:

Safety (6 airbags, AWD, bigger chassis than G4)
    More space
    I like its looks (classic) and the moonroof hehehe

Concern:

Cost to maintain
    Insurance cost being an older car and a Subaru

I am not sure whether the 3 years difference in model date is substantial in terms of reliability between the 2 vehicles or does the safety and reliability record of Subaru negate this?

I could also look at Tucson 2009-2011 but I read a lot of concerns regarding its reliability. Rav4 is out of the question as 500k budget would get me a 2007-2008 model, which I believe is not worth it. CRV has almost the same maintenance as Forester, I'd rather go with the latter. I'm not sure with the reliability and cost to maintain of american cars hence did not look at ford or chevy. CX-5 seems sweet but I can't find any at 500k price points.

I hope you can provide me with your inputs to help me frame my thoughts on this

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Forester over the Mirage, it's a no brainer unless your priority is leaning towards fuel efficiency and maintenance cost.

However, for your budget, I would be looking towards getting a compact car instead - a Civic FD (2009-2011) or Civic FB (2012-2015) or Altis 10th gen or Lancer EX. They offer a bigger space than a Mirage, acceptable fuel consumption, cheaper to maintain than a Forester or any other CUV.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Forester just for the crash protection alone.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Agree with egan. I'd take the the forester over the G4.
    Bigger space, higher clearance, better performance-wise and more upscale.
    But then again, if you want the more practical choice since parts and maintenance will be much cheaper, then get the G4. parts will be ready in most shops and mechanics are more familiar with mitsubishi than subaru.

I have a 2010 tucson crdi and unlike its petrol version, this CRDI is still somewhat reliable. Only major part that gave out was the magnetic clutch of the aircon. Small parts that tend to break would be common suspension parts, brake light switch, inhibitor switch, trunk mechanism. Otherwise, for a 7 yr old car, i say it's still good if u choose one.
    Good luck

5. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Forester over the Mirage, it's a no brainer unless your priority is leaning towards fuel efficiency and maintenance cost.

However, for your budget, I would be looking towards getting a compact car instead - a Civic FD (2009-2011) or Civic FB (2012-2015) or Altis 10th gen or Lancer EX. They offer a bigger space than a Mirage, acceptable fuel consumption, cheaper to maintain than a Forester or any other CUV.

Thank you for your input I'm thinking that the safety feature of a compact is relatively the same as that of a subcompact, or am I wrong to assume this? I might be able to turn a blind eye on the fuel efficiency, but my concern is that the maintenance cost of the forester might be more than twice that of the G4 over a 5-year period. That might be too much of an opportunity loss hehehe.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Forester just for the crash protection alone.
    Thank you sir, actually that's my main reason for considering the forester. I want something that offers protection to my baby in case something unfortunate happens

7. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JJB View Post
    Agree with egan. I'd take the the forester over the G4.
    Bigger space, higher clearance, better performance-wise and more upscale.
    But then again, if you want the more practical choice since parts and maintenance will be much cheaper, then get the G4. parts will be ready in most shops and mechanics are more familiar with mitsubishi than subaru.

I have a 2010 tucson crdi and unlike its petrol version, this CRDI is still somewhat reliable. Only major part that gave out was the magnetic clutch of the aircon. Small parts that tend to break would be common suspension parts, brake light switch, inhibitor switch, trunk mechanism. Otherwise, for a 7 yr old car, i say it's still good if u choose one.
    Good luck
    Thank you sir, it seems that the main question for me would be cost over protection for this. I would have to research more if the maintenance and fuel cost differential between the 2 would be very wide over a 5-year period. It is not an easy decision to make

8. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    If I might add, would I be wrong to assume that average maintenance cost between the G4 and forester would be 2x or 3x over a 5-year period given the 3-4 year difference in manufacturing date? Also, is it safe to assume that fuel consumption would also cost 2x to 3x more for the forester?

I know it would be more costly to have the forester but I'm just not sure realistically how much costly it might be.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post

If a car suits you because of your preference for a Mirage then I agree to consider the Altis or Civic or even a Lancer....

10. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    I would get an Innova instead. The Forester is not spacious enough for a baby stuff and a yaya. Plus an in-law.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast