New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    sta. fe or sorento

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Well, I'll recommend you get yourself a midsize sedan. Although impractical in our streets, I've always loved a sedan's silhouette (even more so, a coupe) so I ruled out SUVs when I bought my Hyundai Sonata way back.

As you're driving and you're in your 30s.... and male, I will recommend the Subaru Legacy. The SRP is at the Php2million ballpark figure but if you throw in dealer discounts, you're looking at a sticker price of Php1.7m. Not everybody loves speed but some say if you taste the forbidden fruits, you won't turn back. It also looks handsome too.. throw in a deep note exhaust and you'll be dreading the next time you fill up :naughty2:

However, I'm not a fan of the the Legacy's interior. Looks... and feels cheap. A racer won't mind as long as you have more than 200 horses under the bonnet, but for the daily drive of EDSA I'm not that convinced. And so my second recommendation goes to the Mazda6. Now, I can't speak on personal experience on this one. I haven't test driven the newer Mazda6 yet.. I did, however, drive the older-generation before my own purchase. We also personally own its younger brother, the Mazda3. My first impression when I sat down during my visit to MIAS was that (A) holy cow, this is low and (B) the interior material quality is handsomely surprising. If you still consider yourself a driver or somebody who really loves driving, I'd snap this up over the Legacy. Power is one thing.. but I'm a bigger fan of a finely tuned chassis-suspension harmony in handling.

However, depending on what your standard for comfort it, you'd probably want a softer ride. If then so, (Hyundai Sonata na kasi.. we need more fellow owners) I believe the Accord will suit you just fine. It's right in between the plush Camry and the stiff Mazda6, it's big (paminsan "large" ka na sa mga detailing shops), and it commands respect.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; September 30th, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A: Lots of choices in this price range. The Camry-Accordare obviously there. Downside is, they're both big and they feel big to drive. Also, at your budget, they're not as loaded as the Koreans or the Mazda6. I like the Accord better, fantastic steering, softer ride, better interior quality... but this is an old car on the way out.

The Mazda6 is fantastic. Lots of space, but it's the kind of car that "shrinks around you" as you drive. Ergo, it doesn't feel as awkward or cumbersome to drive in traffic as other midsizers. Ride comfort is good, considering it rides on 19" wheels. The suspension damps out most of the road. The only issue is when one of those big wheels hits a deep pothole... but it's not any worse than the new Camry on 17" wheels (the Camry isn't as floaty or soft as it used to be) Great handling, great engine, good fuel economy, lovely leather and interior plastic (better than Toyota, about as good as Honda). For the solo guy, it's almost good enough that you can forego buying that sportscar you're eyeing. (almost because the Mazda6, good as it is, can't drift. )

The Sonata: Loaded, also. Softer set than the 6. More like the old Camry. Not as much space as some of the others.

The Optima: Nice. Cheap. Don't know the specs, though, might be a bit bare... I've only driven the hybrid, which I like as much as the 6, but it isn't for sale yet.

The Peugeot 508: Great engine (diesel). Good handling. Good feeling interior. Cons: uncommon. Aftermarket support (outside sources of spare parts and supplies) unknown.

The Nissan Teana: If you want a super-Camry, this is it. Soft, soft, soft everything. Leather everywhere. Smoooooooth engine. Cons: might be a bit "lolo" for a thirty-something.

The Suzuki Kizashi: Very cheap. Drives well, rides nicely. Cons: small, not very well loaded.

The Legacy is a bit out of budget... fantastic lots of torque... but the AT is lacking compared to the six-speeds in the Accord and Camry V6. Interior starting to feel a bit outdated.

B. Santa Fe. If you can bring your budget up to it, Santa Fe. Period. Dependable, economical, comfortable, fast, everything.

The Sorento, if you're on a budget, doesn't have quite the same material quality, but it's sportier, just as big and has the same fantastic motor.

If you want to go rugged... nothing wrong with considering the Fort, but the gas motor, nah. If you're set on wasting money on a gas motor... the 3.0 V6 in the Montero is lovely. Smooth, revvy, freaking powerful. Horribly impractical, but cheap. And how many people can say they own a 200hp V6 Montero Sport?

C. The 86 isn't a great day-to-day car... though it can do that. It's terrific to drive, no doubt, but the potential is wasted with the automatic. The auto is slow from a stop, and you'll be using midrange revs more with this transmission, when driving in traffic. The 86's midrange power is weak... it won't feel any quicker than most 2.0 compacts. Hell... a Mazda6 or a 2.0 Corolla would beat it in a drag race, and then some. The ride is stiff and getting out gracefully is a bit difficult because of the low ride height. On the bright side, even with the auto, it's a fantastic track or back-roads toy. Lovely balance and feel. And it turns heads.

Other sub-2m sportscars:

The CRZ: Again, the pure feel is wasted with the automatic. But the AT is still great to drive. While the electric motor gives it more low-end punch than the 86, the 7-speed CVT slurs too much between shifts, and top-end power isn't impressive. Nissan's CVT (in the Sentra) is much better for sporty driving. Steering is about as good as the 86, the ride is softer, and the driving dynamics are wonderful.

Downsides: Not as economical as you expect a hybrid to be... about the same as other 1.3 to 1.5 liter cars. The rear seat is completely useless. The 86's rear seat is already small, but nobody will fit behind you in the CR-Z unless you sit with the steering wheel in your lap. And don't even ask about getting in and out... Don't go for the Mugen edition... too stiff for road use. Best bargain is the base model with the stick.

The Genesis Coupe: If you're looking for a sportscar as a daily driver, this is it. Huge interior. Tons of legroom everywhere. There's little headroom in the back seat for anyone over 5'3", but at least they'll actually fit back there. Well loaded, and the 7-speed automatic is pretty smooth in everyday use. Handling on the track and at high speed is much improved... suspension better buttoned down now. And the speed of either motor is fantastic... even with the automatic transmission. Interior quality falls between the 86 and the CR-Z (the CR-Z is the best of the three). All three cars have great driving ergonomics... the only quirk is the Genesis has a clunky shifter, but that's not a problem with the AT.

Cons: Wide, and feels wide to drive. Low, and scrapes over ramps sometimes (so do the 86 and CR-Z). Not as nimble as the other two, though it does handle well. Steering not as good as the other two (but better than the old GC). In terms of street cred, not quite as well-liked as the 86, though really, if you want a car that kicks ass and takes names, this is the most bang for your buck. And the new face gives it a Nissan GT-R-like aggression.

-

Other wacky midlife crisis choices:

FJ Cruiser: 4.0 V6, so glug-glug-glug... and it's not as spacious as the price leads you to expect... but in terms of looks, no other SUV under 2m comes close. (1.8m... stretch a little more)

MINI: At these prices, you're only getting a MINI One. The basic AT Cooper is at 2m already. The MINI One comes with steel wheels, but few cars look quite as cool as the MINI. And few cars are quite as small as the MINI... though the back seat is a bit more liveable than the CR-Zs... Like the CR-Z, fantastic to drive. And even though it's old, the MINI still turns heads.

Subaru Forester XT: Also a bit above your budget, but 240 horses. Yummy. Only SUVs that come close in terms of raw speed are the Korean twins (Santa Fe/Sorento). Also not bad off-road for a crossover. Very good AWD system and suspension. Downside: Pricey. Rides a bit stiff.
    Last edited by niky; September 30th, 2013 at 11:28 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Hindi ata bare yung Optima, parang cockpit nga ata yung interior nya. ehehe!

5. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Santa Fe.

Peace out!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slapz View Post
    Hindi ata bare yung Optima, parang cockpit nga ata yung interior nya. ehehe!
    Like I said... haven't driven it.

From some dealers... apparently dual sunroof and leather... good deal then. It's a very refined car with a good ride, even on 18" wheels. Better than the 6 in that area. The 6 is more fun to drive, though... and has a slight advantage in terms of interior quality.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Thanks everyone for the replies, especially jhnkvn, GTI, and niky for the detailed responses. Much appreciated.

Looks like my choices are trimmed down to:

Sedan: Mazda 6 (most recommended, as opposed to Accord and Camry standards)
    SUV: Hyundai Santa Fe (this seems to be hands down the vote for an SUV).
    Coupe: Genesis Coupe (looks to be a more practical daily driver than the 86)
    Others: Subaru Forester XT (been mentioned several times and does look good, though not sure if the +brand +speed is worth the extra cash since I'm not really looking at off-roading).

I actually find it surprising that the top recommends are mostly Mazda and Hyundai -- guess my car knowledge is still stuck in the 90's where the only options are Honda and Toyota if you want quality and prestige; but given the responses on this board, my mindset is obviously extremely dated.

jnkvn and niky: I guess I'll throw the question back to you guys. If you were in my shoes and had these options given my needs; what would be your choice? SUV vs Sedan vs Coupe, and which specific model?

Thanks again!

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm the wrong person to ask for personal choice. Given the weather and where I live (Laguna, six feet under water half the year), I would probably buy a Ranger 3.2 and a snorkel kit.

-

If you want to live a little, the Mazda6 is worth checking out. Not quite as quick as a true sportscar, but it drives nicely and is quick enough that you might not mind that it isn't. Also.. turns heads. During my last test drive (I've done it once for web and once for print), I actually stopped over at a gas station for a drink and sat out there ogling it for a good long while (thinking dirty thoughts... :hysterical: ). The beautiful red paint is an extra 50k pesos, but that's money well-spent, that is. Your opinion may differ, so go for a test drive... some dealers are pretty nice about it.

Long term worries:

1. Direct injection fuel system... will it last? Fuel pressure is only 2,900 psi compared to 25,000 to 40,000 for diesels... but you never know. With direct injection gassers, best bet is to use them regularly to keep the E10 from going stale in the tank.
    2. Capacitor bank durability: Hybrid batteries sometimes go bad due to our hot weather. The capacitors should be more durable, but nobody knows yet. Even so, you can turn off i-Stop, so it shouldn't be a big hassle if they do eventually fail. Still, Mazda claims they'll last till the vehicle falls apart... which is a lot longer than hybrid batteries!

If you want a "sure thing", the Santa Fe is proving itself to be a relatively durable crossover. Know a lot of old Santa Fe owners who are satisfied. If you want fast, it does fast (0-100 km/h in around 9 seconds or less, if I recall right), and if you want to cruise, it cruises well... it can pip near-20 km/l on the highway. It's also future-proof. If you eventually have kids, you'll love having all that extra space.

Long term worries:

1. Fuel system? Thanks to our garbage diesel, a lot of modern diesels have issues three to five years after purchase. That said, the Korean diesels seem less troubled by it than the Japanese, and the fuel systems can go hundreds of thousands of kilometers with no issue.
    Last edited by niky; October 1st, 2013 at 12:15 AM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Ako Mazda CX5 AWD ibabandera ko sa'yo TS.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply niky. I'm fairly geared towards the Mazda 6 now (which jhnkvn has also recommended). I think it's a good balance on that large size sedan I'm looking for in an executive car, with a bit of that sports-like feel and "being reckless" that I'm trying to quench with my 86/GC thirst. May not necessarily be as future-proof as an SUV or as practical as I'd hope, but the intent for the "big purchase" by my standards is to just go for it -- so I think you said it perfectly, might as well "live a little".

Any further advise on purchasing? Preferred dealers or what to watch out for? Again, appreciate the responses.

As for the others, any Mazda 6 owners out there that can provide some further insight?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast