New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Mga boss, it's my turn to seek your expert opinion.

I'm in the market for a compact SUV and I've narrowed down my choices to the ASX GLS (FWD A/T) and XV Premium (4WD). This will be my first vehicle.

It was love at first sight with the ASX. I really like its face. My bank loan has been approved and I was ready to buy the 2012 model. But the color I wanted (kingfisher blue) was unavailable and Mitsubishi can't tell me exactly how long I have to wait, or if there's a chance it will become available. I don't like black or white but might consider gray or silver.

Now, one dealer told me the 2013 model is coming in November so I might as well wait for it. Obviously there's no pricing yet.

Meanwhile, I've cheched the Subaru XV and it doesn't look bad and based on reviews, it drives better than the ASX GLS SE (AWD) and by extension, the GLS too.

I read Topgear's August issue where the XV came on top of the ASX and Mazda CX5. They gave top marks to the XV's handling ("You had us at turn one." ) and the CX5's fuel economy (FWD) although the XV wasn't so bad in fuel consumption either.

What bothered me was the poor fuel economy of the ASX -- about 5.5 km/liter "in really bad traffic" and 8.8 km/liter on the highway, compared with the XV's 9.5-10 km/liter "in city driving" and the CX5's 11 km/liter. Now, I'm not sure if the driving conditions during testing were the same, but I've had second thoughts about the ASX as a result.

Anyway, the CX5 is out of the question for me because it's expensive for a FWD (P1.452m). I'm only considering the ASX FWD (P1.255m) because I figured I wont need 4WD (P1.528m). Besides, it's a whopping P273,000 difference. I'm only considering the XV Premium because there's no 2WD version and at P1.478m, it's only P80,000 more expensive than the base model (P1.398m). Now, that's a P223,000 difference between the ASX GLS and the XV Premium.

Here's what I like about the ASX
    *Tough and sporty face (love it)
    *Roomier boot than the XV
    *Built-in GPS
    *Start/stop button which the XV lacks

Now, the XV
    *Better handling, if it's true, although I doubt I'll notice it given the novice driver that I am
    *Better fuel economy, if the reviews are to be believed; I can ignore this if the ASX is not that bad in reality
    *Sunroof! :cool:
    *AWD
    *Plus all the bells and whistles (7 or 8 airbags, HID, reverse camera [although I can put one on the ASX GLS]

I know I might be comparing two units at different price points, but just assume that I'm aware of it and just advise me if the P223,000 is worth it, or if everything else in the XV can be ignored in favor of the ASX's first-rate looks, for me at least.

In terms of looks, I really like the ASX better than the XV and I'm fully aware that this is a matter of taste and therefore subjective.

I would appreciate any inputs from everyone, including those who own either vehicle and had been in the same position as I am now. Maraming salamat!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

2. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    the way you talk, it looks like you're more into asx and XV is only 2nd option. right?

so asx for me.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Sana problema ko din ito.
    ASX vs XV... Kaso sa afford lang ako, Haima7.

Pero tama si Sir dct, mukhang ASX kana eh. Humaba man ito ng 37 pages, you will still fall to the ASX. :D

Ganyan din ako. ahaha! haba ng thread, sa Haima7 din ang bagsak

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    If you can afford the price difference, go for the XV: it's the more "real" CUV, unlike the ASX that looks just like a "Lancer EX on stilts". Plus you get all the plus features of a Subaru: brand, sports car lineage, handling, driving fun, etc.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipefish View Post

I read Topgear's August issue where the XV came on top of the ASX and Mazda CX5. They gave top marks to the XV's handling ("You had us at turn one." ) and the CX5's fuel economy (FWD) although the XV wasn't so bad in fuel consumption either.

What bothered me was the poor fuel economy of the ASX -- about 5.5 km/liter "in really bad traffic" and 8.8 km/liter on the highway, compared with the XV's 9.5-10 km/liter "in city driving" and the CX5's 11 km/liter. Now, I'm not sure if the driving conditions during testing were the same, but I've had second thoughts about the ASX as a result.

Sa Speed magazine 57points vs 56 infavor of ASX.
    Sa handling lumamang ang XV but in a very slight difference.
    In comparison with XV premium vs ASX-GLS, syempre lamang talaga ng di hamak ang XV.

7.5kpl ang worse ko sa Manila-EDSA in between GMA flyover to Ortigas, friday morning at bumper to bumper.
    13kpl naman ang best ko sa highway, provincial road about 200km long, night driving.

Finally, ang isa sa mahirap na ipagpalit ng feature ng ASX yung start/stop button (keyless operation system). Everytime na sasakay ka, at start ang engine ay ramdam mo ang convenience!

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipefish View Post

I'm in the market for a compact SUV and I've narrowed down my choices to the ASX GLS (FWD A/T) and XV Premium (4WD). This will be my first vehicle.

It was love at first sight with the ASX. I really like its face. My bank loan has been approved and I was ready to buy the 2012 model. But the color I wanted (kingfisher blue) was unavailable and Mitsubishi can't tell me exactly how long I have to wait, or if there's a chance it will become available. I don't like black or white but might consider gray or silver.

Now, one dealer told me the 2013 model is coming in November so I might as well wait for it. Obviously there's no pricing yet.

Meanwhile, I've cheched the Subaru XV and it doesn't look bad and based on reviews, it drives better than the ASX GLS SE (AWD) and by extension, the GLS too.

Anyway, the CX5 is out of the question for me because it's expensive for a FWD (P1.452m). I'm only considering the ASX FWD (P1.255m) because I figured I wont need 4WD (P1.528m). Besides, it's a whopping P273,000 difference. I'm only considering the XV Premium because there's no 2WD version and at P1.478m, it's only P80,000 more expensive than the base model (P1.398m). Now, that's a P223,000 difference between the ASX GLS and the XV Premium.

Here's what I like about the ASX
    *Tough and sporty face (love it)
    *Roomier boot than the XV
    *Built-in GPS
    *Start/stop button which the XV lacks

Now, the XV
    *Better handling, if it's true, although I doubt I'll notice it given the novice driver that I am
    *Better fuel economy, if the reviews are to be believed; I can ignore this if the ASX is not that bad in reality
    *Sunroof! :cool:
    *AWD
    *Plus all the bells and whistles (7 or 8 airbags, HID, reverse camera [although I can put one on the ASX GLS]

I know I might be comparing two units at different price points, but just assume that I'm aware of it and just advise me if the P223,000 is worth it, or if everything else in the XV can be ignored in favor of the ASX's first-rate looks, for me at least.

In terms of looks, I really like the ASX better than the XV and I'm fully aware that this is a matter of taste and therefore subjective.

I would appreciate any inputs from everyone, including those who own either vehicle and had been in the same position as I am now. Maraming salamat!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    About fuel economy sa asx?... it's not that bad..sa asx ko actual computed ko in several times lumalabas sa mixed driving ko from Cavite to manila umaabot sa 8km/L pero last time nagpunta ako sa Luzon computed naman umaabot ako sa 11km/L. Saka ang fuel consumption naka depende sa way of driving mo kung nakikita mo na naka slow down na yung nasa unahan mo Sge kpa apak sa gas tapos break talagang 5.5km/l ang magiging consumption mo.kung ako ikaw Doon kana sa 1st choice mo... magsisi ka man kaunti lang ang sakit kaysa napili mo eh di mo gaanong gusto tapos everytime na makikita mo yung pinaka gusto mo nagsisi ka kung bakit di yon ang kinuha mo... nangyari skin yan...sa pagpili ko ng lancer ko na 1.6 kaysa sa lancer ex na 2.0 natakot ako sa laki na engine imagine W2.0L..ayun after 2 yrs. Nag palit ako nitong asx 2.0 din ang engine... anak ng hueteng mas matipid pa sa gas... Bakit di hirap ang engine..kaunting apak sa gas bilis na ng takbo...sa akyatan ganoon din. Eh yung lancer ko 1.6 todo apak sa gas... resulta lakas lumamon ng gas. Isa pa... kakaunti plang ang asx kaya sa mga mata ng tao laging bago ang tingin sa sasakyan mo... minsan nga sa smoa open parking punuan makikita mo nag iisa lang ang asx.... di tulad ng Tucson.... prang vios sa dami kaya wala ng excited tingnan ng tao. Hehehe. Yun lang po.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    One point I would like to make is the cargo space between the ASX and the XV. The XV'x cargo space is very small compared to the ASX.

As for the handling, even if the XV is better handling, 99% of the driving would be done on the streets at normal speeds. It is doubtful that you'll miss that handling difference with the ASX.

The ASX is not simply a lifted Lancer EX... if it is, then so are the CRV (lifted Civic), XV (lifted Impreza), etc.

Given that the ASX is your first love over the XV, I would suggest you go with your gut feeling and go for the ASX.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 21st, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Found this while researching about the ASX as my potential 2nd car...

Will to Wheel: Pleasant Surprise: Mitsubishi ASX

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sawsawmaster View Post
    Found this while researching about the ASX as my potential 2nd car...

Will to Wheel: Pleasant Surprise: Mitsubishi ASX
    The quirks about the a/c vents is not true.
    It can be close individually.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slapz View Post
    Sana problema ko din ito.
    ASX vs XV... Kaso sa afford lang ako, Haima7.

Pero tama si Sir dct, mukhang ASX kana eh. Humaba man ito ng 37 pages, you will still fall to the ASX. :D

Ganyan din ako. ahaha! haba ng thread, sa Haima7 din ang bagsak
    tama, makinig ka kay sir slapz. ang haba ng thread pero sa gusto pa rin nya ang bagsak :D

hindi mo kasi mababayaran yung saya nung mismong gusto mo. kaysa naman mas maganda nga features etong car na to, pero 2nd option lang talaga sya

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Mitsubishi ASX Versus Subaru XV -- Need Advice